109 Expedition rig build

Mercedesrover

Explorer
This is the end that Dutchman's did. Annealed the shaft, hobbed the splines, cut the threads, roughed out the bearing surface, re-hardened it and finish ground the bearing surface. Everything inboard of this is standard NP435 shaft.

newshaft.jpg

Oilburner

Adventurer
That's really nice! What's next? MAR? Guy Fawkes? I will probably try and make the Fawkes event but it sure as heck won't be in my 109 :sombrero:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
That's really nice! What's next? MAR? Guy Fawkes? I will probably try and make the Fawkes event but it sure as heck won't be in my 109 :sombrero:

I really like Guy Fawkes. Great bunch of guys. I'll be there.

Put on the muffs and bring the 109! I'd love to see it!!

Oilburner

Adventurer
I really like Guy Fawkes. Great bunch of guys. I'll be there.

Put on the muffs and bring the 109! I'd love to see it!!

No, no - I'd definitely drive it if I could, I drive it everywhere. I'm in the middle of an NV4500 conversion and am building a new frame, plus we're moving, so no time. I might bring my new beater FZJ80 down.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Mercedes, you've earned some fame in the north woods. I was coming out through the Telos checkpoint yesterday and the woman asked me if I was the one who broke down up there this past summer. After telling her it wasn't me she said on his way in some guy was telling them how he can fix the entire truck by the side of the road if necessary. Next thing they know it's being carted out on a flat bed! She mentioned a broken transmission so I knew for sure who it was.
I came to your defense and told her not to worry as it wasn't a stock Rover tranny!:elkgrin:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Too funny. Yeah, in most cases I can fix it on the side of the road. This failure was a little too deep. I supposed I could have pulled a Bogart in The African Queen and forged a new shaft up there. Not sure how that would have worked out.....

That lady at the Telos gate is a sweetheart. She sent a note to the NMW headquarters about what happened and they sent me a check back for my two-weeks worth of fees. Pretty cool of them.

dino2000

Observer
Jim, I absolutely love your work so far but that instrument panel aesthetically sucks big time. It would maybe work on a CJ5 but not a Series Land Rover. It just strikes a loud aesthetic discordance with the rest of the vehicle.

Really?!

This thing is amazing in every way. The layout seems to me to be straight forward and well thought out. Simple is good.

(forgive me, I'm a little behind on my reading.......)

Viggen

Just here...
Hows the power delivery with this motor? Its hp numbers are good but the tq numbers arent earth moving. Just curious.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
North Maine Woods, Redux

Once again Wendy and I will be pointing the 109 north and heading back to The North Maine Woods for a couple of weeks. We leave Friday. Wish us luck! The truck has been running flawlessly this year and I really feel good about the trip. Still, the number for John and Son's Towing in Millinocket is in my wallet! :)

Hope to find a place to camp somewhere just east of Churchill Depot. Cliff Lake or Spider Lake will be our first choices. We'll be doing a lot of exploring, fishing and canoeing. Hope to take the short water-route to the trains too.

Anyway, we'll be back in a couple of weeks with a few stories and hopefully a better ending than last year!

jim

road_northern_maine.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues