'12 4runner 37x16.5 Hummer wheels +MTR tires +Icon stage 3 +extreme fender trimming?

user name:

What are yalls thoughts? I am wanting to run an Icon stage 3 with Billet UCA's and I imagine some extreme fender trimming/cutting + body mount modification, 4.56 gears and surplus MTR hummer takeoffs with trailworthyfab recentered double bead lock hummer wheels... This will be on my 2012 TE with KDSS. I had an old 89 4runner with a similar setup but this new 4runner is quite different. it has body mount that stick into the fender well area. I imagine cutting out the fenders will be straight forward enough.

v_man

Explorer
as someone who is running 37's on a 4runner (albeit a 1990) , I think it sounds intriguing . I would be most concerned with the width of those meats and the general physics of turning wide *** tires , lots of rolling resistance there .

I'd also be worried about breaking CV joints and axles in the front , with all that rotating mass , and the whatever CV angles you will be running in the front with a lift and big tires ... hell I'd be worried about blowing out rear axle shafts with those tires .

Are you thinking solid axle swap , or reinforcing driveline components ? I'd carry some spare components :smiley_drive:

jlandon

Get Dirty.
I wouldn't worry about rear axle problems. Id worry about things like;

Those are a royal pain to balance.
I think fred Flintstones rock rollers weigh less.
Front wheel bearings, tie rods, joints, etc become disposable.
4.56 will suck. Go 4.88 or 5.29 if possible.
How hard it'll be to return to normal.

That said... it'd look sweet. And its your time and finances.

Me? Id put a set of 285s on and go adventuring with the money saved.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sounds ridiculous, yes. But at the same time it does sounds pretty cool to try to do. Would the KDSS pose any problems?

user name:

as someone who is running 37's on a 4runner (albeit a 1990) , I think it sounds intriguing . I would be most concerned with the width of those meats and the general physics of turning wide *** tires , lots of rolling resistance there .

I'd also be worried about breaking CV joints and axles in the front , with all that rotating mass , and the whatever CV angles you will be running in the front with a lift and big tires ... hell I'd be worried about blowing out rear axle shafts with those tires .

Are you thinking solid axle swap , or reinforcing driveline components ? I'd carry some spare components :smiley_drive:

I think these RCVPerformance CV axle sets will fit on the 5th gen 4runner: "RCV Performance Ultimate IFS CV Axle Set for Toyota FJ Cruiser ('07 and up), 4 Runner ('03-'09) & Tacoma ('05 and up) *Set includes 2 axles $1,989.99 CVJIFS-TOY2"

my stock gearing is 3.73, 4.56 are the lowest gear they make for this 5th gen as far as I know... I may have bit off far more than I can chew. Im awaiting a chat with CBI offroad on this matter and if it comes to be that 37's are beyond far fetched, Ill throw some 255 80r17 KM2's under it and use the saved money to buy my dream... a clean FZJ80 for funzies and build that.

bkg

Explorer
37's are "doable" - just look at the All-Pro xtracab. But not on your chosen wheels/tires. That's just ridiculous.

Question I would ask is "Why do you want 37's?"

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
16.5" tires require the use of the very heavy run flat inserts to be run at reduced inflation, like when typically off road, without them the tires easily roll off the bead seats as .5 wheels have a different, more beveled wheel flange than whole number wheels. HMMWV tire wheel combos are very heavy, that's a lot of stress on the 1/2 ton IFS hubs from the weight and leverage of that diameter. HMMWV may be cheap to by at the surplus store but adapting them to other applications is not worth the cost.

user name:

my only drawing force to the 37's are the abundance of 75-100 dollar surplus MTR hummer tires I have locally that are like new plus having the ground clearance these tires will offer would be nice.

user name:

16.5" tires require the use of the very heavy run flat inserts to be run at reduced inflation, like when typically off road, without them the tires easily roll off the bead seats as .5 wheels have a different, more beveled wheel flange than whole number wheels. HMMWV tire wheel combos are very heavy, that's a lot of stress on the 1/2 ton IFS hubs from the weight and leverage of that diameter. HMMWV may be cheap to by at the surplus store but adapting them to other applications is not worth the cost.

pvc double beadlock inserts are about 1/5 the weight of the standard "run flat" inserts, but youre right, recentered hmmwv wheels and MTR surplus tires are extremely heavy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk