12v Cummins vs. 7.3 Power Stroke?

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i PM'd this to ChuckB, but i guess it is relavent

"based on my experience, the giant rear facing(usually detachable) things the infants need, can only fit in the middle seat.
idk what the laws are where you live, its tricky to keep up with them, and they keep changing, but at 1 year we went to forward facing, and a seat with the lowest profile(at the butt) to move their but and legs as far back as possible.
something like this, if your 13m olds meet the requirements.
http://www.target.com/p/diono-radian...ot=medium_1_23

it would all work and the leg room would be manageable (im 5'10" and like the dodge seat as far back as it goes, and my wife is 5'7")

my issue would be where do you stash stuff? diaper bag, jackets, ect. you only option will be on the floor under the kids feet. a camper shell would get my vote, for your double stroller and all that junk.

any others questions, just ask. i know its hard to find info on this stuff, ive tried google before without much luck.

if i had not bought the truck yet, with 3 kids, i would just find a crew cab and never look back."

crazy

Adventurer
I have owned a 99 F350 CC dually, 00 Excursion, 04 Dodge 3500 SRW CC, 05 Dodge 3500 SRW CC. All were diesels and 4wd. The best mileage came from the 05 Dodge with a 3.73 rearend. It was about 22 mpg straight freeway at 65-70 mph. No lie and yes I can do math. The worst mileage came from the 99 F350 with a 4.10 rearend. That was about 16 mpg on the freeway. The numbers were empty. Calling the Dodges a crewcab is a joke unless your crew is a posse of Umpa Lumpas. Still better that a extracab. From what I remember, the Dodges rode better than the Fords. Both brands were reliable for me. I never had any major failures. I don't have young children but for me the space would be a big factor in my decision. If you are going to be spend lots of time on the road with your family, you should all be comfortable. I think you could easily find a '99+ crewcab Ford diesel 4wd for less than $10k. That would be my pick.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i was out with the family today, and thought i would throw some pictures up here for reference.

my wife has the seat about 80% back, maybe 1 inch from the back.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Magilla82

Observer
BloodyWest!! Thats perfect and awesome for the photos!!! Thank you very much!!! They just solidify that i will be perfectly fine with a Dodge =D

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
BloodyWest!! Thats perfect and awesome for the photos!!! Thank you very much!!! They just solidify that i will be perfectly fine with a Dodge =D

I appreciate the pics as well! It looks like the 2nd gens will not work for me. I'm gonna need more space for the kiddos...

Erik N

Adventurer
OP-when you sell your Ford camper, I might be interested. Looks like a great shark fishing rig.

Magilla82

Observer
In the spring/early summer it will be for sale here on the portal first, as i know many people are interested in it and would use it for its intended purpose.

Viggen

Just here...
You live in Colorado. While I cannot comment on PSD vs. Cummins but I have seen far more rusty Dodge trucks than Ford of the same year. For me, living in an area where snow and salt will be seen yearly, a Dodge is a no go. They rust far faster, from what I have seen, than a Ford of the same era. MPG and reliability are close to the same but if I am buying a truck meant to haul and live in a snowy climate, rust resistance would be high on my list of considerations.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You live in Colorado. While I cannot comment on PSD vs. Cummins but I have seen far more rusty Dodge trucks than Ford of the same year. For me, living in an area where snow and salt will be seen yearly, a Dodge is a no go. They rust far faster, from what I have seen, than a Ford of the same era. MPG and reliability are close to the same but if I am buying a truck meant to haul and live in a snowy climate, rust resistance would be high on my list of considerations.

Sadly this is 100% true. Dodge cuts corners everywhere. (and they save almost nothing doing so) The older Ohio Dodges are actually the brownish red dirt found at the corners of the highway ramps. That's all that is left of them. If you ever see a Cummins diesel and transmission sitting out alone in a field, that wasn't removed from the truck, that is the entire truck!
-
Getting a donor Cummins diesel from a 2wd swiss cheesed truck is getting really cheap. Now I need to find a pro that can quote a swap......

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sadly this is 100% true. Dodge cuts corners everywhere.

Not exactly everywhere... They did step up and power the trucks with the Cummins, which changed the face of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks forever. Neither Ford nor GM were going anywhere fast with their diesels. Dodge offering the Cummins forced everyone to step up their game.

As to rust, well, that's why I am driving a sacrificial Furd this winter. (Well, it was free, and has a plow too). I take the Dodge out for some exercise whenever the roads are clear and dry (yesterday), and hope it lasts a very long time without the salt exposure. It has a bit of rust, but nothing that is not easily repairable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater