14' Jeep GC 'EcoDiesel'

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Why would you convert to a diesel engine that takes Diesel Exhaust Fluid? I would find a pre EPA07 diesel engine...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Why would you convert to a diesel engine that takes Diesel Exhaust Fluid? I would find a pre EPA07 diesel engine...

Because I want an efficient, quiet, smooth, powerful engine that will significantly increase range, and pull up a hill in 6th at 60mph with ease.
(I'll do an emissions delete on it too, so I can drive it in 2nd and 3rd world countries)

What engine do you have in mind?

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Because I want an efficient, quiet, smooth, powerful engine that will significantly increase range, and pull up a hill in 6th at 60mph with ease.
(I'll do an emissions delete on it too, so I can drive it in 2nd and 3rd world countries)

What engine do you have in mind?

-Dan

You can get that package in the pre-EPA10 engines from Mercedes.

Plenty of old Sprinter vans with the OM612 I-5 diesel engine...pre EPA2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM612_engine

Ebay examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Sprinter-2005-complete-engine-2-7-turbo-diesel-Mercedes-Freightliner-/320926703938?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab8b8e142&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1176

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-2003-SPRINTER-2-7-LITRE-FIVE-CYLINDER-ENGINE-COMPLETE-/130728451685?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7005de65&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1176

The other choice is what I have in my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee...it does have regens, but there are tunes out there to delete the DPF. It will have issues with burning LSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM642

I would stay away from Diesel Exhaust Fluid...it has tendencies to evaporate and leave behind a nasty white powder substance that clogs up stuff.

If I was going to transplant an engine would find a used OM642 from 2005 or 2006...UK, Australia etc got this engine and it is about as free as they come from emissions. Plus it will go all day long on LSD. You would need all the wiring as well.

These engines are quite and will allow you to pull out of your driveway at 5am without waking up the entire block...ie.Cummins

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
An EcoDiesel badge would look nice on a Dodge Power Wagon. The 3.0L diesel V6 makes the same torque as the 5.7L gas V8 in the Power Wagon today, and would get better mpg.

That's an 8k pound truck. Not sure why they would put a little diesel in a truck that has a 6.7l diesel option already.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If I was going to transplant an engine would find a used OM642 from 2005 or 2006...UK, Australia etc got this engine and it is about as free as they come from emissions. Plus it will go all day long on LSD. You would need all the wiring as well.

These engines are quite and will allow you to pull out of your driveway at 5am without waking up the entire block...ie.Cummins

Nice. Have you read of anyone stuffing the OM642 into a JK?

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Nice. Have you read of anyone stuffing the OM642 into a JK?

-Dan

No, but I can't imagine there is not much difference in dimensions of the Pentastar vs the OM642 (maybe heavier for the diesel?). The OM642 has a 10quart oil pan that may interfere with the straight axle Wrangler....but I know for sure that there are different oil pan configurations for the OM642.

This shows the front axle in relation to the V6 Penatastar....Pentastar has a 6 quart oil pan.

http://www.jeep.com.au/features-a-specs/capability/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-powertrain

The OM642 ideally it would be nice to find a wrecked 2007-09 Sprinter or 2007/08 Jeep Grand Cherokee. That would allow you to pull all the wiring and the engine. I imagine it could be a complicated process....but hey enough time and money.

2005/06 OM642 would have to be imported from outside the states.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The OM642 ideally it would be nice to find a wrecked 2007-09 Sprinter or 2007/08 Jeep Grand Cherokee. That would allow you to pull all the wiring and the engine. I imagine it could be a complicated process....but hey enough time and money.

Cool, thanks for the info.

That's why so many people (me included) are so interested in the new 3.0 Diesel.
We know it bolts onto the same auto as the JK.
We also know it's wired for a GC, and another engine wired for the GC swaps into the JK with a kit (Hemi) - so we're hoping it works similarly.

All things considered, it seems like the 3.0 might just be the most straightforward (and therefore cheapest) diesel swap ever for the JK.

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Cool, thanks for the info.

That's why so many people (me included) are so interested in the new 3.0 Diesel.
We know it bolts onto the same auto as the JK.
We also know it's wired for a GC, and another engine wired for the GC swaps into the JK with a kit (Hemi) - so we're hoping it works similarly.

All things considered, it seems like the 3.0 might just be the most straightforward (and therefore cheapest) diesel swap ever for the JK.

-Dan

I see where you are coming from but putting in a DEF dependent engine and one that has NO aftermarket support in the USA is sketchy at best. The OM642 has a lot more support and there are a lot more of them running around. I know firsthand the lack of experience that Jeep had with the OM642. At least if the OM642 breaks I can take it to a Mercedes dealer or go to the Mercedes dealer and order parts.You will not have that option with the VM motor, there will be no support outside Jeep.

It has taken 5 years to get 3 or 4 tuners for the OM642....it will take that long if not longer for the VM motor, tuners may never come to the market here..especially if you can only get the VM motor in a Grand Cherokee. Without dependable tuners you will not be able to do a DPF or DEF delete on the VM motor.

Also I can't imagine the cost of a VM motor with DEF. :Wow1:

The cheapest diesel swap would be to put the 2.8L in the JK.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Beowulf said:
To give you some hope and options, here is a thread of a guy that put a Cummins 3.3 in his JK.
That does look like a valid option. The owner of the TJ Brute says Dave at AEV is undecided if he's going to offer it as a kit for TJ & JK owners.....

And there is a guy on the AEV forums that has a 3.0 VM ready to go into his JK.

He's going to do it with out without AEV's help, and he wants to document the whole thing so others can do the same:

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=3901
(starting from post #4)

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
That does look like a valid option. The owner of the TJ Brute says Dave at AEV is undecided if he's going to offer it as a kit for TJ & JK owners.....

And there is a guy on the AEV forums that has a 3.0 VM ready to go into his JK.

He's going to do it with out without AEV's help, and he wants to document the whole thing so others can do the same:

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=3901
(starting from post #4)

-Dan

It will be an interesting conversion.....

Viggen

Just here...
Hmmm... I've read of guys either in Aus or Europe(can't remember which) that where getting 30+ Mpg's, Hand calculated. I think this VM Motori engine is a lot better.

European mpg is not the same as US mpg...

To give you some hope and options, here is a thread of a guy that put a Cummins 3.3 in his JK.

Then you would get a malfunctioning OBDII system which makes a once road legal vehicle illegal. You must have a functioning OBDII system to pass inspections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk