1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I tried the bedliner on my sliders and it didn't hold up at all. I would look into your local tractor/farm supply place and find some industrial stuff. It will hold up much better.

Jack

Bojak

Adventurer
Seen lots of uses of bedliner over the last 10 or so years and I am of the thought now that it is best only as bed liner or cab deadener.

Binksman

Observer
Thanks! If you or anyone else knows of super strong/durable paint, let me know. I was thinking about putting Rustoleum Bedliner on the bumper, but I'm still undecided. Thoughts anyone?

I just finished painting my boys' pedal tractor wagon with that Rustoleum Bedliner spray and I can't say I am impressed. It's nowhere near as thick as a "real" spray-on or brush-on bed liner. Worse, within the first hour my 1-1/2 year old scraped the corners down to bare metal. Stuff like this is why I hate painting...

If you are actually going to be using it like a truck, I'm recommending powder-coating or a "real" spray-on or brush-on liner.

BTW, love the truck!

mkitchen

Explorer
Your doing a nice job.

You seem to be doing a very nice job on the truck. It is very easy to get carried away and make big plans but the goal should be to get it into good, dependable running order and then get out and enjoy it. I think you are going to have a truck that you will be happy with for a long time.
Mikey
PS A chevy six with split exhaust has a great sound as well as the other benefits.

snekvasil

Adventurer
You seem to be doing a very nice job on the truck. It is very easy to get carried away and make big plans but the goal should be to get it into good, dependable running order and then get out and enjoy it. I think you are going to have a truck that you will be happy with for a long time.
Mikey
PS A chevy six with split exhaust has a great sound as well as the other benefits.

Mikey,
I appreciate the kind words. Knowing me, I WOULD get carried away making big plans, but it helps that I'm on such a strict budget. I just want it to be reliable, fun, and to boldly go where no one thinks an old beat up 68 Chevy K10 should be able to go :sombrero: Oh, and more importantly, I want to be able to escape the rat race in this truck with my family and do some quality hunting/fishing/camping with the people I love most.

snekvasil

Adventurer
I just finished painting my boys' pedal tractor wagon with that Rustoleum Bedliner spray and I can't say I am impressed. It's nowhere near as thick as a "real" spray-on or brush-on bed liner. Worse, within the first hour my 1-1/2 year old scraped the corners down to bare metal. Stuff like this is why I hate painting...

If you are actually going to be using it like a truck, I'm recommending powder-coating or a "real" spray-on or brush-on liner.

BTW, love the truck!

Binksman,

Powdercoating is my IDEAL choice; however, I think I might have to settle on a cheaper alternative until I can make that investment. Thanks for the tip about the Rustoleum! I'll steer clear of that stuff.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Seen lots of uses of bedliner over the last 10 or so years and I am of the thought now that it is best only as bed liner or cab deadener.

Bojak,

I'm beginning to agree the more I see bedliner applications...I think the biggest thing that's turning me away from bedliner right now is the lack of UV protection. It gets so nasty chalky looking after a while. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

snekvasil

Adventurer
I tried the bedliner on my sliders and it didn't hold up at all. I would look into your local tractor/farm supply place and find some industrial stuff. It will hold up much better.

Jack

Jack,

That's good to know. Have you had personal experience using the tractor/industrial paint? Reason I'm asking is for application purposes. Should I do a self-etching primer, or does it not really matter? It's a work/play truck, but I still want it to look nice and be durable. Thanks for your tips.

Bojak

Adventurer
If its something you want to look better that is actually in pretty rough shape and you want an inexpensive solution, then I get it. You will just have to keep tuning it up periodically. If you want to fix it right and for the most part be done with it good industrial paint. Done forever (I know nothing is bullet proof) would be powder coated. Each choice has its plusses, just depends on what you want finished product to look like. Just seen a lot of DIY bedliner uses and it can be pretty ugly. I've even got creative with some bed liner but not a far of it in raw form on outside body or components that would be hard finished. I had great luck restoring some rough interior panels with it but I always do 3_4 coats of paint over it to make it less flat. So every particle doesn't cling to it. I think Larry has it on his rocker panels but I think he painted over to color match it too.

Anyway it will look good however you choose, attached to that truck. Especially after the lift. Your almost done with the install right? I would be in serious getter done mode if I had it sitting there looking at me. Looking forward to seeing it. Imop your motor actually makes your truck cooler than if it had an ls swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz