1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

snekvasil

Adventurer
If its something you want to look better that is actually in pretty rough shape and you want an inexpensive solution, then I get it. You will just have to keep tuning it up periodically. If you want to fix it right and for the most part be done with it good industrial paint. Done forever (I know nothing is bullet proof) would be powder coated. Each choice has its plusses, just depends on what you want finished product to look like. Just seen a lot of DIY bedliner uses and it can be pretty ugly. I've even got creative with some bed liner but not a far of it in raw form on outside body or components that would be hard finished. I had great luck restoring some rough interior panels with it but I always do 3_4 coats of paint over it to make it less flat. So every particle doesn't cling to it. I think Larry has it on his rocker panels but I think he painted over to color match it too.

Anyway it will look good however you choose, attached to that truck. Especially after the lift. Your almost done with the install right? I would be in serious getter done mode if I had it sitting there looking at me. Looking forward to seeing it. Imop your motor actually makes your truck cooler than if it had an ls swap.

Still waiting on the axle to arrive. When that gets here, I'm doing the axle swap and the lift install at the same time. But yes, it's killing me seeing the lift kit just sitting in my garage :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
You might look into machine paint - the stuff they use to paint lathes and mills in machine shops.

mkitchen

Explorer
Just Paint

I have my sliders, front and rear bumpers powder coated and they were done well but nothing can stand up to being drug over rocks. I have had to touch up all of them and especially the sliders. I keep a can of Rustoleum and some cheap brushes handy and touch up as needed. The bumpers and sliders are there for body protection (the truck's, not mine) and they are going to get beat up some. I touch up partly to keep them neat looking but more so for rust protection.

Your building your truck for use and I am guessing that you don't have buckets of money to pour into the job so use the money to your best benefit. Use the money as you have been, for ignition and fuel improvements you will be much happier. Best of luck on the build, you will enjoy the results.
Mikey

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I have my sliders, front and rear bumpers powder coated and they were done well but nothing can stand up to being drug over rocks. I have had to touch up all of them and especially the sliders. I keep a can of Rustoleum and some cheap brushes handy and touch up as needed. The bumpers and sliders are there for body protection (the truck's, not mine) and they are going to get beat up some. I touch up partly to keep them neat looking but more so for rust protection.

Your building your truck for use and I am guessing that you don't have buckets of money to pour into the job so use the money to your best benefit. Use the money as you have been, for ignition and fuel improvements you will be much happier. Best of luck on the build, you will enjoy the results.
Mikey

I agree with you. I am big fan of rattle cans for that reason. If it scratches or whatever just go out and add a coat.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Snekvasil where do you live? I live in the Vancouver Canada area and I have lots of good bedliner ideas for you.
At our local car parts place the cheaper bedliner is actually the better product. Its got some Canadian flag on it but I am sure you can find a similar product stateside.
Just a get a can of bedliner that can be painted on top of and make a few test areas. See what works for you.:ylsmoke:

snekvasil

Adventurer
Snekvasil where do you live? I live in the Vancouver Canada area and I have lots of good bedliner ideas for you.
At our local car parts place the cheaper bedliner is actually the better product. Its got some Canadian flag on it but I am sure you can find a similar product stateside.
Just a get a can of bedliner that can be painted on top of and make a few test areas. See what works for you.:ylsmoke:

Currently, I live in Lafayette, IN. I'm attending Purdue University. Indiana ain't my cup o' tea...but Vancouver, that place is AWESOME. I plan on returning there when I'm done with school.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack,

That's good to know. Have you had personal experience using the tractor/industrial paint? Reason I'm asking is for application purposes. Should I do a self-etching primer, or does it not really matter? It's a work/play truck, but I still want it to look nice and be durable. Thanks for your tips.

It depends... You will have to check with the manufacturer for their recommendation. I had a rear bumper powdercoated for my rear 80 series landcruiser, guess what? The rocks from traveling dirt/gravel roads chewed up the PC and I ended up spray painting over the areas that the rocks removed. I have learned that using either a quality spray paint or industrial stuff is just about as durable and easy to touch up when the scratches and scrapes occur.

I sprayed the sliders on my truck with the Rustoleum spray can liner and it really isn't that durable. I sprayed the underside of the front fenders of my Jeep with U-Pol and so far it is holding up well.

Good luck with your choice.

Jack

snekvasil

Adventurer
Minor Update

Just a quick update. First of all, my girls have become very fond of the bed cage/rack. It's their new jungle gym.

IMG_0328-1.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Did some more fabbing last weekend. added the third and final leg. It was not fun. Had to use the pipe bender to get the exact angle/curve to match the other four legs. THEN had to fishmouth the top to weld to the top crossmembers. We had to scrap one leg because the curve wasn't good. I'm liking it now.

Just a couple more pieces to add so I can mount my jack and other things to save some bed space. I'm going to put 2 crosspieces on each side between the 2 back legs. Then I'll put some vertical plates and bolts for mounting. If anyone has experience with Rotopax, let me know. I'm thinking about mounting 2 of them on one side for dry storage (in other words, not the gas cans because I'll have jerry cans in the back).

IMG_0339-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Took a stroll around a construction site and snapped this photo. It's the closest thing I can get to offroading here in Lafayette :bike_rider:

IMG_0343-1.jpg

snekvasil

Adventurer
Your truck is just killing it. Yours is in my top 5 on this site. Lift status?

I appreciate the kind words! It's definitely a fun project. Lift is contingent on the axle...when the axle swap is ready to happen, I'll do the lift at the same time. Given my current schedule, my goal is to have the axle swap+lift done by the end of November/beginning December. You know how schedules work though!

snekvasil

Adventurer
Love your K10. Rotopax makes an excellent product. They seem to hold up well and aren't overpriced.

Good to know! I went ahead and purchased the universal mounting plate so I could attach it to the cage. I purchased it from eBay which was almost 50% less than the Rotopax website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz