1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Pretty much as long as you change the oil occasionally, it will last for a very, very long time.

Jack

Bojak

Adventurer
Never let it run hot, keep good oil in it plus changed regularly and you should see well above 100k. I worked at a lumber yard where we had a runner truck that above 200k on the I6 in it and it ran great. The only maintenance I ever saw performed was gas when running low. Oil changes? Not sure anyone even knew where the hood latch was, but it ran strong. Funny, the more grossly overloaded it was, the more you knew it was a tank. Like it ran better under heavy load. Most mechanics I've spoke with about i6 say the 2 reasons they faded away are they are never going to be a fuel efficient choice but more importantly they are too reliable for car makers taste. If they never get to sell you a new one or work on that one then that is bad for the bottom line.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Never let it run hot, keep good oil in it plus changed regularly and you should see well above 100k. I worked at a lumber yard where we had a runner truck that above 200k on the I6 in it and it ran great. The only maintenance I ever saw performed was gas when running low. Oil changes? Not sure anyone even knew where the hood latch was, but it ran strong. Funny, the more grossly overloaded it was, the more you knew it was a tank. Like it ran better under heavy load. Most mechanics I've spoke with about i6 say the 2 reasons they faded away are they are never going to be a fuel efficient choice but more importantly they are too reliable for car makers taste. If they never get to sell you a new one or work on that one then that is bad for the bottom line.

Funny you say that; I've always thought the truck ran smoother/better when it was loaded down with firewood. Of course, the brakes didn't work as nicely =)

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I had i6 300 in a Ford it ran forever with regular maintenance. I always said fully load or empty it's 0 to 60 time was the same. I worked for a Ford dealership once had a guy bring in a 89 F150 i6 with over 350k and it still ran smooth. Like what was said earlier i6 died because manufacturers couldn't make any money on them after they were sold.

Bojak

Adventurer
I am not brand loyal. I have always generally not been a ford guy though. They just never have done anything for me. Had several as company trucks, fine for free. That being said, if I came across a square ford with 4x4 and that 300 I would probably buy it. The earlier mentioned lumber truck was one and I have never seen such an abused neglected vehicle just work every time. I once as teen drove from Florida to Atlanta in a nissan with an i6 that's lost its oil and its turbo eventually but made it the whole way and then to the mechanics on the next day. Totally cooked but kept going.

snekvasil

Adventurer
A bit more fab work...

Chris and I did some fabbing tonight. Been a long, busy week so we couldn't get to it till tonight.

IMG_0374.jpg

Tacked on 2 cross members (the horizontal pieces).

IMG_0376-2.jpg

IMG_0377-2.jpg

2 pieces of 3" flat stock will be welded to the crossmembers which will then be used to store the jack, etc. I won't wanna put stupid, worthless poser tools on the side that I'll never use, so I'm going to be thinking a while about how else I'm going to use the space.

snekvasil

Adventurer
fabbing complete

Passenger side crossmembers were added:

2014111095132341-1.jpg

Last but not least, the horizontal flat stock was added. The fabbing work is done! Now all I have to do is mount the necessary tools to maintain my bed space.

IMG_0379-1.JPG

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:Snek your truck is looking sooo nice. When I think about the progress that you have made with that rig its mind boggling. Nice looking fab work!:drool:

snekvasil

Adventurer
storage advice

thanks guys for the compliments. I'm running into a road block: I need a place to put my chainsaws when I'm traveling. I've been putting them in the bed, but it's just not stable and/or smart given the investment into these machines. I keep all of my ropes and hardware in the tool chest, so that's not an option.

I was thinking about mounting a 4x4 post on the inside of the bed cage and then boring through the post with the chainsaw, creating a scabbard-like seat. Then I could put two eyelets so I could bungee the saws down. Do you guys have any thoughts/suggestions? I have 2 main saws that go with me on every job: my climbing saw (14" bar) and my ground saw (24" bar).

Any thoughts?! Kinda stumped on this one.

Clutch

<---Pass
X001-Y001.jpg

4514W.jpg

thumb.php

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-chainsaw-scabbard/

Macs-scabbard-outdoor.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member