1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Thanks man! We still need to wheel in Indiana. Ever been to Redbird or Badlands?

Been to both places. Redbird is pretty tight for a full size. Only been there once, on a dirt bike. The Badlands has a variety of terrain, and more of it is open. I love the trails though, I've even had my rather large Super Duty on the orange trail.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Been to both places. Redbird is pretty tight for a full size. Only been there once, on a dirt bike. The Badlands has a variety of terrain, and more of it is open. I love the trails though, I've even had my rather large Super Duty on the orange trail.

Awesome! I like your truck...sharp looking rig. That thing is a BEAST. I'm only about 45min-1hour from Attica. I'm planning on going to The Badlands in the spring if you and others from IN want to join.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Snek I think your rig is WAY better than any FRAUD rig! Can we see some pics of your rig out wheeling?:drool:

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Awesome! I like your truck...sharp looking rig. That thing is a BEAST. I'm only about 45min-1hour from Attica. I'm planning on going to The Badlands in the spring if you and others from IN want to join.
I do want to join in. As long as I got money for fuel, I'm ready. I'm up in Remington, maybe an hour and a half to the Badlands. Trying to get my 4x4 club to go there soon. (Iron Horse 4x4s) Seeing as you are a Hoosier look up some Indiana stuff. Been trying to get some Hoosiers active on here but not much action. We did have a few meets last year, but only with 3 or 4 guys, and it kinda just died. Website is supposed to be people who love to travel, but seems they don't want to travel an hour or two for a meet. Then again, I have no job schedule to work around, as I'm U.S. Army Retired/Disabled. I have every day off.
Indiana thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110493-Indiana-overlanders-Is-there-anybody-out-there
Indiana overlander page, people from the portal.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/647013792027702/
Had some luck on facebook but it's a group of young guys that fart around alot. Despite their juvenile antics online, I have wheeled with them at the Badlands, and they're nice folk, as most off road enthusiasts and explorers seem to be. I love the cover on the facebook page.
Indiana Hoosier Offroad page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/indianahoosieroffroad/

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Great looking truck. As stated, Redbird will be tight. I did fine with my trailblazer, but am not sure I would want a fullsize rig there. We should go to Badlands in the winter. I always like wheeling there in the snow...

Dang near get the place to yourself and it adds some different challenges.

I need to get back to Lafayette sometime for a Long Island at Harrys...been awhile

snekvasil

Adventurer
I do want to join in. As long as I got money for fuel, I'm ready. I'm up in Remington, maybe an hour and a half to the Badlands. Trying to get my 4x4 club to go there soon. (Iron Horse 4x4s) Seeing as you are a Hoosier look up some Indiana stuff. Been trying to get some Hoosiers active on here but not much action. We did have a few meets last year, but only with 3 or 4 guys, and it kinda just died. Website is supposed to be people who love to travel, but seems they don't want to travel an hour or two for a meet. Then again, I have no job schedule to work around, as I'm U.S. Army Retired/Disabled. I have every day off.

Yeah, it's hard to get the ball rolling it seems like. Maybe it's the people, maybe it's the lack of resources Indiana provides? Not sure...

That video was pretty neat where your rig was climbing that hill...it didn't even spin out! That was impressive. Probably due to those sick ARB lockers :drool:

snekvasil

Adventurer
Great looking truck. As stated, Redbird will be tight. I did fine with my trailblazer, but am not sure I would want a fullsize rig there. We should go to Badlands in the winter. I always like wheeling there in the snow...

Dang near get the place to yourself and it adds some different challenges.

I need to get back to Lafayette sometime for a Long Island at Harrys...been awhile

I love your Trailblazer. And wheeling in the snow is probably my favorite. I'm totally up for it. Although I'd be driving my Xterra, not my truck...I've no interest in wasting the body in this Midwest Salt. But I think my X would do just fine, especially with the help of your Trailblazer. And hell yeah we should hit up Harry's! Haha...that's a great bar. Awesome food, too.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Indiana has a good amount of resources, but for me its family and money, but mostly time. Work 10 hours to go home and work on something else another few hours then spend every weekend wrenching in the garage...leaves lil time for anything. Hard to get a day to dedicate to a meet but hoping it will work out for something soon.

Wheeled with a few Xterras there. They do well. I actually got another toy that will need to be tested there soon I hope. Grabbed a cheap v8 ZJ for a low budget beater/wheeler.

Check out the IN groups and hopefully when someone gets a chance to wheel we can all get together.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Yeah, it's hard to get the ball rolling it seems like. Maybe it's the people, maybe it's the lack of resources Indiana provides? Not sure...

That video was pretty neat where your rig was climbing that hill...it didn't even spin out! That was impressive. Probably due to those sick ARB lockers :drool:
With the lockers and 9K lbs on the tires, traction is not a problem. Turning radius, that's another story. When you guys get time to meet or wheel, post it on the Indiana Overlanders facebook page and here in the Indiana thread. I'm game for an adventure. Never hit the Badlands in the snow before.

WILLD420

Observer
Run that thing till it drops. If you want more power, find a turbo kit or supercharge it. A Cummins in that old body and frame will be more problems than it will ever solve and that old inline 292 will get the job done for 1/100th the cost and half the weight over the front tires. An overdrive transmission will pay for itself only if you drive it more than 10K miles a year.

Take it from someone who has been around the block a time or two. Simple is good. Light weight is good. Fuel economy is over-rated on most diesel rigs and torque is truly king when you get into the dirt. Three hundred ft/lbs at 1800 rpm is better than 300 ft lbs at 5K rpm, and a 4,000 lb truck will go a lot more places than a 7,500 lb truck can, and make it look easy doing it. It's easier to carry several 5 gallon cans of gas, than it is to replace the whole drivetrain to support the needs of an engine that is too heavy for the chassis and never designed to idle along all day.

If you want a Diesel, go buy one that came with it. It will be a lot less heartache when you aren't happy with it.

You will want to upgrade the front axle shafts in that thing if you plan on putting bigger tires on it.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
In the works, Chilli :wings:

Heading out to Banff the summer I graduate from Purdue. Are you close?

I could get up to Banf if thats where you are going. The closest big town to where I have my property is Revelstoke, about 200 km away. I am probably closer to Vernon, or if you know Nakusp. I live on the other side of the lake from a little place called Burton, up a 37 km long logging road... It would be cool to meet you this summer. Keep in touch.. Cheers, Chilli...:smiley_drive:

snekvasil

Adventurer
Run that thing till it drops. If you want more power, find a turbo kit or supercharge it. A Cummins in that old body and frame will be more problems than it will ever solve and that old inline 292 will get the job done for 1/100th the cost and half the weight over the front tires. An overdrive transmission will pay for itself only if you drive it more than 10K miles a year.

Take it from someone who has been around the block a time or two. Simple is good. Light weight is good. Fuel economy is over-rated on most diesel rigs and torque is truly king when you get into the dirt. Three hundred ft/lbs at 1800 rpm is better than 300 ft lbs at 5K rpm, and a 4,000 lb truck will go a lot more places than a 7,500 lb truck can, and make it look easy doing it. It's easier to carry several 5 gallon cans of gas, than it is to replace the whole drivetrain to support the needs of an engine that is too heavy for the chassis and never designed to idle along all day.

If you want a Diesel, go buy one that came with it. It will be a lot less heartache when you aren't happy with it.

You will want to upgrade the front axle shafts in that thing if you plan on putting bigger tires on it.

After starting the restoration on this truck, I'm in total agreement with you. Just out of curiosity, what kind of life can I expect out of this inline 6? What's the reputation of these 292s? I know it's very subjective, but I just don't know that much about this engine. It's got around 22k miles on it now...can I expect 100k more, assuming I do the regular maintenance? What's the typical life of these 6 bangers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz