1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
not much going on lately, just been trying to put on some miles in the dirt.

Other than that I have recently torn into my tailgate because the window was being funky. It would quit on me randomly and then start working again. I ripped it open and the 40 year old motor still works when connected to a battery, but the gears were all blown out and binding a bit. Couple that with the idiotic 40 year old wiring (power goes to tailgate, through the switch, back up to the front switch, then back down to the tailgate....) and there just isnt enough juice to cut it.

I picked up a 77 tailgate which has the later style motor and switch, and have a wiring harness en route from a fellow FSJ'er who makes a number of wiring kits. The kit he produces replaces ALL the wiring and switches, and runs the window on relays directly from battery power rather than running the load through the switches. That should be here this weekend.

I also have new side channels arriving to keep the window in place and keep it from rattling around in the tailgate, as mine were totally blown out and actually rusted in 2 (strangely enough the tailgate is 100% solid?)

Should be working better than new here in short order.

Next up is a headliner project I am in the middle of planning. Cant afford a new bow style suspended headliner installed by a shop and i don't have the skills to do it, so I'll be converting to a later style board headliner that i'll either paint or cover with fabric or vinyl. My headliner has been the ugliest and worst part of my wag for 5 years and I'm psyched to finally attack it.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Pbr? Hmmm can't remember the last time I had one of those. I may have try it again. Lol

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Pbr? Hmmm can't remember the last time I had one of those. I may have try it again. Lol

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

One of my favorite cheap beers. When it's hot and I'm working in the garage I don't much feel like an imperial IPA or Belgian triple

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Woop Woop!

The side channels are kinda funky, they are different than the 1973 ones i removed and are really tight. they make the window really stiff to move up and down, moving it by hand even required a good bit of force. But anyway...

modified tailgate switch

Fraction of an inch of clearance but its perfect!

mounted:

All done, and look, it hardly required any tools at all...ha.

check out the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaWtqmIEaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ1LxRWZrFQ

Zeiderman

Adventurer
I saw the link you posted on JF, are you going to do the headlight harness as well? Will probably end up getting both of these. I especially like the remote part.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I saw the link you posted on JF, are you going to do the headlight harness as well? Will probably end up getting both of these. I especially like the remote part.

Back before Rick started offering the headlight harness, which came before the tailgate harness, I did the mod on my own. His is amazing quality and its literally plug and play where as I had to splice into factory wires. Mine has been trouble free for a few years though so I'm not too worried about it. Only thing i may consider doing is replacing my standard spade connectors with actual weather proof relay connectors.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Local shop did my headliner and sunroof panel for just over $100. Best money I ever spent. Because it was done right the first time, and not by me!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Local shop did my headliner and sunroof panel for just over $100. Best money I ever spent. Because it was done right the first time, and not by me!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I wish it was that simple. I have a suspended bow style headliner. A kit would be about $250 shipped if I chose to try it on my own, or multiple shops have quoted me between $400-600 for just the headliner because they need to be custom matched to the existing one.

Gonna go get a free board style headliner, side channels, and trim pieces today. then will paint or coat it with vinyl to match my interior. Will be good in the interim.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
About 120 miles from home to the meeting spot....put over 300 trouble free miles on my rig on sunday.

Jeeps! unfortunately one was missing :-(

Narrow Bridge:

"Where do we go?"

Mighty dusty trail

Felt right at home.

Pause for a few minutes

Hooooo brah, hardcore trail.

Did i mention the dust?

Nice scenery on the way out of the hills.

Wow. Very cherokee. Much Pirate.

Sunset.

The end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp