1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Bobzdar

Observer
Well, i'm not really considering it...I did consider it....then I did it. Tanks Inc pump in a stock tank.

Did you have to cut a new hole? Mine's got the plastic tank so I was thinking of going with the walbro 90psi unit integrated in the stock sender. But that'd mean replacing all of the fuel line to the front, which isn't that big a deal I guess. Just wish I'd done it when I had the tank down as I'm not taking that MF'r back out, so I'll have to snake the main fuel line in.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Did you have to cut a new hole? Mine's got the plastic tank so I was thinking of going with the walbro 90psi unit integrated in the stock sender. But that'd mean replacing all of the fuel line to the front, which isn't that big a deal I guess. Just wish I'd done it when I had the tank down as I'm not taking that MF'r back out, so I'll have to snake the main fuel line in.

I did cut the new hole, then i had to massage the metal all around it to make it flat. lots of hammering.

You need to replace fuel line for sure, mine is all braided stainless AN hose and fittings.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
so, I'm pleased to report my jeep "beat the trip" that nearly made me throw in the towel last year.

500 miles round trip to and from Mendocino County Fairgrounds in Boonville, CA. Last year the thing started to fight me as soon as I was climbing to Donner Pass on the 80 just outside of Reno. I had to keep pulling over on any hills as the truck was surging and dying and losing speed. Took over 8 hours to get home from what was a 5 hour drive.

Anyway, this years trip went nearly flawless. The only "issues" were that as soon as it hit Truckee CA, it began idling rough. Not like it was going to stall, but it was shaky. I also felt like at speed it was running a little "choppy" or almost buffeting, a little more raspy or rattly. nothing of concern, but as us jeepers know, we can always tell when something is even a little bit off from normal on our rigs. Again, never any weakness or feelings like it was going to stall. the other issue was the same cold start hot start nonsense where for a fraction of a second it cuts out, sometimes repeatedly. this actually happened twice while on the highway (after coasting a bit and then getting back into the pedal) and on the hot starts after fueling up on the way TO the fairgrounds. On the way home, after a rough morning start where it DID stall out in the campground, I dropped the pump squirt a few percent. It didn't do it a single time the rest of the trip and I made a point to try and replicate the issue. It seems logical that perhaps it's contributing TOO MUCH fuel at tip in for whatever reason under the starting conditions, but isnt normally an issue once the truck has been running. I'll play with this more.

As soon as I got to my house, the idle seemed to smooth back out, so, weird.

The great news is that aside from the 1 or two blips and the odd idle, the truck ran both days 5.5 hours almost non stop and was fine. I was passing folks on uphill grades with no hesitation! It had awesome power when I got down to lower elevations, I was surprised by how much less I had to get into the gas. I RARELY take it below 4000' and commonly travel from my home base of 5000' up to nearly 10,000' depending on the trip. It was fun to drive it closer to sea level and have some more guts behind the go pedal.

Not sure on fuel economy yet. I know from home to truckee I got 10mpg, which was all up hill. And I know from Truckee to Clear lake I got around 13mpg, which was all down hill. I think I did decent on the way home too, maybe in the 11 or 12 mpg range, but these aren't really improved over the carb. I have seen as much as 14mpg when I had my carb, in the right highway situations. either way, i think it was satisfactory. I just need to gas up again to get the final numbers.

anyway, good times.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Awesome man! Those are good mpg numbers for a big engine too. Glad to see trip reports on here again! (Also, it gives me a push to pull my waggy out of the winter container and start driving it again!)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sweet! Great trip report! :beer:

I *think* altitude compensation table for injector pulse width correction is only affected at initial key on - engine off on this system.
Since your use includes rapid altitude changes, it would be worth talking with MSD techs to see if they have a work around.
While talking to them ask them how effective timing control would be to correct this, and the intermittent issues.
If they've written the timing tables correctly, it is proactive as well as reactive.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
So that rough idle and poor fuel economy and stuff. I started thinking 'kinda feels like a vac leak' and sure enough found a cap that fell off.

Heading out on a 300 mile weekend and it's running smooth :)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
As fate would have it The 74 that I acquired last year and traded away to a member here has come back to me.

Not sure what my plans are but I feel obligated to make sure something good happens to it one way or another.

I'm thinking I'll get it driving and see where it goes from there. If I keep it, pass it on, or what.

Anyway, it went to a good home from me and I want to make sure it gets a good home now that I have it again.

We shall see where this goes!

And home again!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Perfect! :victory:

Man, whatever you did to this carb is nothing short of amazing.

Hop in, set the choke, and touch the key, the dang thing fires up instantly and humms so sweet.

Did an oil change and got good results too

This weekend is brakes. I did check and it DOES move itself around, stopping is just a little difficult, lol.

Hopefully after this weekend I'll be able to drive it to the front yard and get to work on the gas tank replacement.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWXsnv3hkBV/

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sweet! :)
When the engine is shut down there will be a very slight pool of fuel in the plenum, and the runners will be a bit wet. This is what the engine draws from that makes it start so quickly. After sitting about 10-15 minutes (weather dependent) that fuel should have evaporated. At that point it is starting from the carburetor itself. If it still starts on a snap, the carb is probably a bit rich.
Based on your altitude, I'd recon it will be. If I remember correctly, I put in a new set of plugs, along with the wires. So being nice and fresh, that also helps initial combustion.

Very glad to see the smoke cleared up with the oil change. Look forward to the video of you driving down the street... and stopping! :)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I wish this forum had a "like" or "thumbs up" feature!

lol thanks.

Went out and grabbed a solid set of rollers (maybe 25% tread?) in 30x9.5". They are mounted on 5 lug wrangler alloys. Paid $20 for all 5 including the wheels. I intend to get these swapped over to the wagoneer alloys. This will give me a half way decent set of tires that should hold air better and dont look like they'll come apart the minute the jeep moves under its own power.

Its a shame, the tires on the wag were brand new when parked 15 years ago, haha.

with these, I should at least be able to move the jeep around my property and around some local roads until i decide its fate.

30's look like big ole meats on this thing haha.

35847010666_0858c715ee_k.jpg

35078574193_6b41fbe110_k.jpg

35847009926_ec8d6dfed0_k.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues