1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Mitch502

Explorer
Questions for you about your experiences with your trailer, if you don't mind taking the time to answer:

Do you feel like your pop-up is adequate for the camping you do?
Is it overkill?
Not enough room?
Would a tear drop be better?
How extreme have you gotten off road with the popup behind you?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Questions for you about your experiences with your trailer, if you don't mind taking the time to answer:

Do you feel like your pop-up is adequate for the camping you do?
Is it overkill?
Not enough room?
Would a tear drop be better?
How extreme have you gotten off road with the popup behind you?

1. Do you feel like your pop-up is adequate for the camping you do?

Yes. I would buy something different were it not. My wife likes having room to stand up, sit down, move around, etc. Its nice to get up in the AM and have room to be before you need to step outside. Yes, this can be accomplished with a larger tent. Wre like being up off the ground. We like having a stove and fridge (icebox) inside. We literally only use the ice box, stove, and the one interior light. To us, its essentially a glorified tent that is roomy and above the ground. I've never run the heater because the battery doesnt have enough juice to trip the fan switch, and ive never replaced the battery, lol.

2. Is it overkill?

No. Sometimes yes, but mostly no. A few times a year we will tent camp if we dont want to drag the camper. Mainly this is long trips in CA because with the camper we are only allowed to travel 55mph, so it sucks to tow long distances in CA. We sometimes take it out for 1 nighters. It takes no longer to set up than a big tent, and it allows us to haul more crap and have more comfort. Again, to us, its just a glorified tent. We love it because it still feels alot more like tent camping.

3. Not enough room?

More than enough room for 2 people and a dog, it gets a little cluttered with 4 peoples stuff but still fine. would be super crowded if sleeping 6. With the two of us, we leave the table in it all the time. with 4 people, we take the table out unless we are cooking or eating. We are actually considering downsizing to a smaller vintage camper. The pop up offers more floorspace because the whole length of the trailer is floor, then the beds pull out from there.

4. Would a tear drop be better?

Yes and no, it depends on your needs. All you can do in a teardrop is sleep, sit up, and then get out. No room to "hang out" inside, you gots to go out to the galley to cook, assuming you even have one. It would be equivalent to having a small non stand up sized tent. However, teardrops are smaller, pull easier, could be better adapted to offroad use, etc. My wife is claustrophobic to an extent, so a teardrop wont work for her. A canned ham, sure, but a teardrop is too low and too enclosed.

5. How extreme have you gotten off road with the popup behind you?

Nothing worse than a crappy dirt road. Here's a video that shows a kinda rough road we had it on. Please note that there is a Tbird parked in front of me because a t bird made it down the same road.

starts around the 2 minute mark:

Now, this may vary per camper. There are alot of modern "ruggedized" pop ups offered by fleetwood, jayco, and others. However, mine is a 37 year old rickety-assed thing that has been drug down washboard hunting roads its whole life. Mine is literally falling apart. I constantly am replacing staples (that work their way out) with screws, pumping crevices full of liquid nails, etc. I'm aware of this, and it is more a result of a long hard life with little maintenance, than it is of simply being a pop up camper. I have reinforced things, i lifted this trailer and added the bigger tires, i have installed braces on the corners and back of the body, etc. A few weeks ago I drug it 20something miles through the mountains on a bumpy dirt road and it was no worse for the ware, aside from a bolt falling out of the lift pole.

Overall, we like it, it suits us, its way more comfy and useful than a tent, it allows us to haul more firewood and gas, its easy to tow even though my jeep feels the weight, and as said several times its essentially a glorified tent. That being said, its old and falling apart, but I paid $800 for the thing like 5 years ago, and have used the crap out of it. We'll likely run it into the ground before getting rid of it. :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Pretty awesome to see it go and stop under it's own power. :)
Wonder if the transfer case is stuck in 4 wheel drive?
I don't remember if the shift is vacuum or electric on that model.
Is there a switch in the glove box?
For some reason I seem to remember there being a switch on the lower dash, to the right of the steering wheel, and another switch in the glove box.
But I could be dreaming... lol

Mitch502

Explorer
1. Do you feel like your pop-up is adequate for the camping you do?

Yes. I would buy something different were it not. My wife likes having room to stand up, sit down, move around, etc. Its nice to get up in the AM and have room to be before you need to step outside. Yes, this can be accomplished with a larger tent. Wre like being up off the ground. We like having a stove and fridge (icebox) inside. We literally only use the ice box, stove, and the one interior light. To us, its essentially a glorified tent that is roomy and above the ground. I've never run the heater because the battery doesnt have enough juice to trip the fan switch, and ive never replaced the battery, lol.

2. Is it overkill?

No. Sometimes yes, but mostly no. A few times a year we will tent camp if we dont want to drag the camper. Mainly this is long trips in CA because with the camper we are only allowed to travel 55mph, so it sucks to tow long distances in CA. We sometimes take it out for 1 nighters. It takes no longer to set up than a big tent, and it allows us to haul more crap and have more comfort. Again, to us, its just a glorified tent. We love it because it still feels alot more like tent camping.

3. Not enough room?

More than enough room for 2 people and a dog, it gets a little cluttered with 4 peoples stuff but still fine. would be super crowded if sleeping 6. With the two of us, we leave the table in it all the time. with 4 people, we take the table out unless we are cooking or eating. We are actually considering downsizing to a smaller vintage camper. The pop up offers more floorspace because the whole length of the trailer is floor, then the beds pull out from there.

4. Would a tear drop be better?

Yes and no, it depends on your needs. All you can do in a teardrop is sleep, sit up, and then get out. No room to "hang out" inside, you gots to go out to the galley to cook, assuming you even have one. It would be equivalent to having a small non stand up sized tent. However, teardrops are smaller, pull easier, could be better adapted to offroad use, etc. My wife is claustrophobic to an extent, so a teardrop wont work for her. A canned ham, sure, but a teardrop is too low and too enclosed.

5. How extreme have you gotten off road with the popup behind you?

Nothing worse than a crappy dirt road. Here's a video that shows a kinda rough road we had it on. Please note that there is a Tbird parked in front of me because a t bird made it down the same road.

starts around the 2 minute mark:

Now, this may vary per camper. There are alot of modern "ruggedized" pop ups offered by fleetwood, jayco, and others. However, mine is a 37 year old rickety-assed thing that has been drug down washboard hunting roads its whole life. Mine is literally falling apart. I constantly am replacing staples (that work their way out) with screws, pumping crevices full of liquid nails, etc. I'm aware of this, and it is more a result of a long hard life with little maintenance, than it is of simply being a pop up camper. I have reinforced things, i lifted this trailer and added the bigger tires, i have installed braces on the corners and back of the body, etc. A few weeks ago I drug it 20something miles through the mountains on a bumpy dirt road and it was no worse for the ware, aside from a bolt falling out of the lift pole.

Overall, we like it, it suits us, its way more comfy and useful than a tent, it allows us to haul more firewood and gas, its easy to tow even though my jeep feels the weight, and as said several times its essentially a glorified tent. That being said, its old and falling apart, but I paid $800 for the thing like 5 years ago, and have used the crap out of it. We'll likely run it into the ground before getting rid of it. :)

Thanks for the insight. I've considered getting one for awhile. I built my homemade RTT and it's pretty cool, but I hated having it in the roof because it was too top heavy. Now that it's on trailer, I kinda feel like I might as well have a pop up... Plus if I got a pop up with AC I'm sure my wife would be happier. And with a 3 week old son, I'm already realizing that RTT is a one man setup, maybe one man and my dog at best

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Pretty awesome to see it go and stop under it's own power. :)
Wonder if the transfer case is stuck in 4 wheel drive?
I don't remember if the shift is vacuum or electric on that model.
Is there a switch in the glove box?
For some reason I seem to remember there being a switch on the lower dash, to the right of the steering wheel, and another switch in the glove box.
But I could be dreaming... lol

I doubt its stuck in "Emergency Drive" as they call it on the full time 4x4 FSJ's.

There is a switch in the glovebox, but the vacuum actuator on the transfer case is disconnected. The switch on the lower right is for the optional low range, which does work, but it is still in high. Its likely just the clutches sticking because its been sitting dry for 12 years.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thanks for the insight. I've considered getting one for awhile. I built my homemade RTT and it's pretty cool, but I hated having it in the roof because it was too top heavy. Now that it's on trailer, I kinda feel like I might as well have a pop up... Plus if I got a pop up with AC I'm sure my wife would be happier. And with a 3 week old son, I'm already realizing that RTT is a one man setup, maybe one man and my dog at best

what are you towing with? Popups can get just as heavy as a full trailer pretty quick.They have 2x the headache and less advantage as a regular camper in my opinion.

Mitch502

Explorer
what are you towing with? Popups can get just as heavy as a full trailer pretty quick.They have 2x the headache and less advantage as a regular camper in my opinion.

It would be my TJ with a 5.9 swap...I don't worry at all about the "power" to pull it...I am sitting around 365 ft/lb and around 265HP...I would be swapping a larger axle under it....would that help or hurt? (I already have a trailer axle in the garage)

EDIT: To clarify, my concern is stopping/stability at highway speeds. Not much concern since the trailer would see very little off-road use I think. the larger axle would just be to get a little more height, similar to what you did.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
ah yes, you better stick with something small then. A 3000lbs pop up might be a bit much.

Mine weighs like 1100lbs dry. but doesnt have AC or a toiler or electric lifts or any of that jazz

Mitch502

Explorer
Yea, I was thinking a smaller pop up for me, wife, kid, and a medium dog...Nothing new, nothing fancy, and I'm fine with not having a fridge, stove, etc. All I'd want is a A/C unit (remove it in the winter?) and a space heater. I'm thinking I could tow that with relative ease....

unkamonkey

Explorer
Old line from an old Firesign theatre album. "I pity the poor people that have to run their furnace in the summer because they can't afford air conditioning".
Odd things are stuck in my brain.

Mitch502

Explorer
Shoot, mine does too. Which normally results in me having to blast the furnace even in the summer. LOL.

I'll sell ya mine if you wanna make the drive ;-)

My wife's the opposite...running A/C in the dead of winter :)

Plus, 90 degrees in Kentucky is like 130 degrees when you factor in the humidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333