1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

unkamonkey

Explorer
You are going the right direction. I did all of the body work on my 3B and got it all pretty but I missed a dent in the hood. A Jeep needs to have a dent somewhere on it.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
2 weeks ago the wife and I loaded up the wag and pop-up and headed to Antelope Lake, a few hours north west of us, in CA. We have never taken the jeep up here because the main road is ridiculously steep and twisty. Even in my Dakota pulling the pop-up was a 20mph adventure for the last 10 miles of the trip.

We decided to go a back route that is a paved, but bumpy route. Long story short, we went what we thought was the wrong way, backtracked about 12 miles, then went what was DEFINITELY the wrong way on a narrow twisty dirt road through the mountains. Aside from rattling my jeep and camper to pieces it was okay, but not at all what I intended.

It was about a 170 mile round trip, the truck gets like 10mpg on a decent day. I figure it generally has a 200 mile range. I, for some reason, didnt pack a jerry can on this trip. So, climbing steep mountain roads towing with an additional 20-30 miles of added distance had me nervous for the trip home. I knew there was gas within about 20 miles of the campground, but that gas was at the BOTTOM of the aforementioned super steep and twisty roads. I was POSITIVE we were going to starve the fuel pump when we were pointed down the super steep long hills. Losing brakes and steering when you're pulling a trailer DOWN a grade would be no bueno.

Anyway, it all worked out, we didnt die, the truck ran fine, brakes got a little warm (even though I was in 1st or second).

So, anyway, pics!

We headed out Friday afternoon:

Antelope Lake July 2017 by Andrew M, on Flickr

Road is still paved, as planned....

Oh shucks, better backtrack and take this crappy dirt road that we somehow thought was the right way to go:

about 20 miles of that and this:

Pause to pray the truck makes it the rest of the way through the forest...

Eventually we got to the main road (now knowing where we were) and we came out on the north west side of the lake, rather than the south east.

We made it!

Spent some time at the lake on Saturday:

Returned to camp for a thrilling game of giant yahtzee:

oooooooo snap!

And then....disaster struck!!!!!! Oh the humanity! thats alcohol abuse right there.

quickly remedied the situation.

Even though they are both rickety POS's they look good together:

Always so serious this one...

Whipped up some of the best ribs ive ever made thanks to a recipe my wife found:

Didnt even need a flash light at night.

Sunday rolled around too soon, as it always does, and we packed up camp to head home down the treacherous steep road.

but in the end, all was well and we made it back home safe and sound.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well that was an absolutely miserable day in the sun, but the brakes are finished. Got both sides done and couldn't get the drums to fit for the life of me. I've done drums dozens of times and everything was on right. Eventually started comparing the old shoes to the new ones and there were some super minor differences. Ran to the store and got another set of shoes. 15 minutes later the first side was finished and the drum slipped right on.

Anyway! It runs drives AND stops now. It does produce a bunch of smoke any time you hit the gas though :-/

Next stop is getting the tires cjanged over, then I will replace the severly damaged fule filler neck and fuel fill hose that goes into the tank, as well as the tank itself.

At that juncture we should have a driver :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey that's awesome. :) This is the first time in over 15 years it has moved under it's own power. Great work! :beer:
When you changed the oil did your run any kind of flush?
I'm thinking the oil rings may be gummed up.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Hey that's awesome. :) This is the first time in over 15 years it has moved under it's own power. Great work! :beer:
When you changed the oil did your run any kind of flush?
I'm thinking the oil rings may be gummed up.

All I did was throw some atf in the new oil. It's prolly been run less than an hour total since then, and I haven't changed the oil or anything since. I'm hoping once I get the other stuff done I can run it around s little with some load on it and see how it does

Read this thread from the beginning over the last couple of days. Cool Jeep. Glad you have stuck with it. Look forward to what you do with the boomerang.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well the 74 just drove its first appreciable distance in 13 or so years.

I pulled it around from my back yard to my driveway to get working on the gas tank. It was hot, and not all my pieces matched up, so I only got the old tank out and disconnected. I had to cut some rubbery bits, and as mentioned my fuel filler neck, which actually needs replaced, doesnt match up, or i'm missing the mounting flange or something.

anyway, fired it up and drove it back around to the back of my house without a gas tank. My buddy has a 74 he is parting out, so i'll snag the parts out of that.

It's got a pretty strong clunk when the wheels are turned either direction in the front. I'm told, by someone in the know, its probably the clutches in the q-trac sticking. Hopefully some figure-8's on dry pavement will un stick things.

IMG_1059

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333