1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

Wonderland

Explorer
Seriously, I must be really out of sync. I've owned a FJ40 and briefly a FJ60 and much, much prefer my pickup over both. I don't miss the Cruisers one bit, big, expensive, gas hogs. But it stands to reason that I'm mildly psychotic because I also don't hate IFS.

I am with you on that, my buddy who owns a 60 is jealous of my Tacoma. I get better mileage, can cruise faster on the highway and off road, better overall ride and handling. A Flip Pac or a Wildernest would make it perfect...

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
One thing that I have been thinking about is... we stopped a whole lot for pics and stuff on that last trip...

Maybe we should run some more trails, and not get out every 5 minutes... you may not get as frustrated with the 2 door problem. You just got this truck ready to go... and it will be a while before you get another one ready in the same fashion. I'm sure you can teach kiddo how to get in and out by herself pretty soon.

One thing that I have been thinking about is... we stopped a whole lot for pics and stuff on that last trip...

Maybe we should run some more trails, and not get out every 5 minutes... you may not get as frustrated with the 2 door problem. You just got this truck ready to go... and it will be a while before you get another one ready in the same fashion. I'm sure you can teach kiddo how to get in and out by herself pretty soon.

We didnt get kiddo out every time we stopped... its not that its undo-able, its more of a matter of inconvenience and preference, and the fact that people like me don't think things through! (kinda a move quote from Operation Dumbo Drop)

Mike, I could always just buy a Disco and swap that yota diesel you've got into it. It'll handle the Disco for sure.

Make the ultimate discovery with Toyota drive train!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
We didnt get kiddo out every time we stopped... its not that its undo-able, its more of a matter of inconvenience and preference, and the fact that people like me don't think things through! (kinda a move quote from Operation Dumbo Drop)

Mike, I could always just buy a Disco and swap that yota diesel you've got into it. It'll handle the Disco for sure.

Make the ultimate discovery with Toyota drive train!

Now you're talking... genius! That would be a very fine frankenstein! I'm sure the Rover purists would blast you... but that diesel would fit pretty neatly in there, and should be plenty of power for a Disco. Probably would have to custom make a bellhousing adapter for it though...

Re-wire the whole truck. Replace as many electrical gismos with manual ones as possible, throw in the Toy diesel, and you have a vehicle that should hold up well. There are some good Disco years... perhaps someone could fill you in...

Last edited:
Now you're talking... genius! That would be a very fine frankenstein! I'm sure the Rover purists would blast you... but that diesel would fit pretty neatly in there, and should be plenty of power for a Disco. Probably would have to custom make a bellhousing adapter for it though...

Re-wire the whole truck. Replace as many electrical gismos with manual ones as possible, throw in the Toy diesel, and you have a vehicle that should hold up well. There are some good Disco years... perhaps someone could fill you in...

We should arrange a conference with Eduardo and Tom about that idea.

As far as the electrical issues on the trucks it seems as if the ones that would render the vehicle inoperable would be fixed with the new motor and wiring harnesses... I would reckon, anyways.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
We should arrange a conference with Eduardo and Tom about that idea.

As far as the electrical issues on the trucks it seems as if the ones that would render the vehicle inoperable would be fixed with the new motor and wiring harnesses... I would reckon, anyways.

The ones that render the vehicle inoperable... yes... but the electrical problems in those things go far beyond engine harness, etc. A large part of the problem is there are lots and lots of "luxury" items, and the engineers tried to get cute with the wiring diagram, making problems difficult to diagnose and seemingly unrelated components with common grounds.

The ones that render the vehicle inoperable... yes... but the electrical problems in those things go far beyond engine harness, etc. A large part of the problem is there are lots and lots of "luxury" items, and the engineers tried to get cute with the wiring diagram, making problems difficult to diagnose and seemingly unrelated components with common grounds.

But the luxury items with issues have known fixes, for the most part I'd imagine. Look in Land Rover forum---- Franken Rover

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
But the luxury items with issues have known fixes, for the most part I'd imagine. Look in Land Rover forum---- Franken Rover

It will be a long build thread! LOL! Ask some questions of the Rover guys... they probably know every nut and bolt on their trucks... and I can count the times on my hand that I've ever been in a Rover. :sombrero:

It will be a long build thread! LOL! Ask some questions of the Rover guys... they probably know every nut and bolt on their trucks... and I can count the times on my hand that I've ever been in a Rover. :sombrero:
Looks like the cruiser is, as always, the better idea...

frgtwn

Adventurer
Concerning the kiddo in the backseat. Soon, very soon it will not be a problem. They grow up.

I recall opening the drivers door to get out, and #1 son stepped on my lap and was out before my legs left the cab. And, yes, he had been buckled in his carseat.

It is reassuring in a two door that they cannot get in and out without mom and pop knowing it.

Dale

RU55ELL

Explorer
I have only driven it to pick my daughter up from school. I havent done anything to it.

sad_panda.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy