1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

austintaco

Explorer
While nowhere near ambitious as your center console, here was my quick solution for cupholders. This might work for your console too, if you cut down the base to the height you want.
PB010891.jpg

and the pullout cupholder
PB010892.jpg

PB010890.jpg

Its the lid from a Ford Explorer Sportrac, that has pullout cupholders for the rear passengers. I flipped it around and mounted it to the base plate of the 4runner console lid(removed the torn up arm rest).
I kept the rear heat so I don't have anymore storage, but I have a spot for my mountain dew.

While nowhere near ambitious as your center console, here was my quick solution for cupholders. This might work for your console too, if you cut down the base to the height you want.

and the pullout cupholder

PB010890.jpg

Its the lid from a Ford Explorer Sportrac, that has pullout cupholders for the rear passengers. I flipped it around and mounted it to the base plate of the 4runner console lid(removed the torn up arm rest).
I kept the rear heat so I don't have anymore storage, but I have a spot for my mountain dew.

Yehhhhh not a fan of that one. But if it works for you!:ylsmoke:

So here is what my next truck is going to look like.........
post1992.jpg

Post199.jpg

OK OK, maybe not that extreme (********** awesome btw), but I like the setup below... 33x10.50, OME heavy lift, ARB front, ARB roof rack, RTT. Perfect.

fj60001.jpg

To make things clear. The 4runner wont be up for sale immediately (if at all). The reason we are looking at the FJ60s is because we have realized the 2 doors of a 4runner just wont cut it.

Last edited:

bmh

Adventurer
fj60001.jpg

This thing is sexy, there is one around here that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, save the small lift and bumpers.

Old and busted....

... new hotness!

Men in Black II. Scene where Agent Lee wants to drive the new Mercedes. The automated driver that gets sucked into the steering wheel is white, because the black driver kept getting pulled over. This was after "the flush".

I need to stop watching movies.

Mike, the green cruiser is an example of a spring over axle conversion. The SOA usually gives about 5" of lift.

I'm thinking if I got one of these cruisers, I'd want about 4". Alcan springs seem to be the way to go.

Yeah. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Just to give you an idea of a mild SUA lift. Steve has since sold that 62 and it is hauling surfboards in San Diego or Mexico (or both) IIRC.

Yeah definitely looks good.

The one I posted earlier has OME lift and 33s as well. Just looks more "right" for some reason though...
fj60001.jpg

This is another with OME and I think shackles also.
if1.jpg

I made an album of the trucks I like too... check it out... http://s708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/TerraXpeditions/FJ60s/

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I like the Tires on the Silver one infinitely more... I like the Redones lift, but those wide tires look garbage IMO... I too am driving a 1st Gen 4Runner and having dreams about a 60 Series. THere are advantages and disadvantages to both rigs. The 1st Gen is a far more nimble trail rig, but the 60 is an icon and a supremely perfect Expo rig with tons of hauling capacity. Speed is negliable in both, but I'd say with the 60 as a starting point your motor swap options (includign the king of all swaps IMO a Toyota Turbo diesel) are greater due to engine compartment size alone. I do like the mini-truck interior lay-out/Dash better though then the 60 Series... Oh and you can't get a 62 with a Manual... that's a big NO NO for me, I don't do auto's... NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

O well mate, I really hope you keep at your 1st Gen, clearly I'm a bit boased but they really are such a unique and increasingly rare rig... But a 60 is still a toyota and an amazing one at that. Whatever you choose I'm sure it'll be great.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
FYI, one of your inspirations, ramble writer's 4runner, just got sold . . .

4179260845_abe9ec29f2_m.jpg

That's one sweet rig. I don't really like the Tires or the horrible bracket lift, but I LOVE the all around cage he built for under the soft top...

My new dream is to graft some sort of pop up or over (ala flip-pac) top onto the removable section of our trucks. I really think that'd make for one amazingly capable and sleepable rig. That way I could have a larger drawer set-up underneath my sleeping platform and with the top poped I'd have room to sleep above it and still be able to sit up, change etc. I'm thinking maybe a westfalia top might be able to be grafted to fit... anythoughts??? Juaquin Suave's CJ8 is definatly an inspiration and where I got the idea in the first place, but I think it'd translate perfectly to the 1st Gen 4Runner.

I always think that maybe a sort of slide in/drop-on camper set-up like the XV-JP would be amazing. With the removable top and it's associated mounting rail would make for an awesome base to start with for something like that...

I also think that the far back windows of the fiberglass top are just BEGGING to be made into externaly accessable cabinets. It's not like you can see out of those windows anyway. I think they'd make a GREAT place to store all your recovery gear.

SO... who knows how to work with fiberglass...oh and wouldn't mind teaching me some things while you're at it ;)

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I too am driving a 1st Gen 4Runner and having dreams about a 60 Series.
Seriously, I must be really out of sync. I've owned a FJ40 and briefly a FJ60 and much, much prefer my pickup over both. I don't miss the Cruisers one bit, big, expensive, gas hogs. But it stands to reason that I'm mildly psychotic because I also don't hate IFS.

tacollie

Glamper
Seriously, I must be really out of sync. I've owned a FJ40 and briefly a FJ60 and much, much prefer my pickup over both. I don't miss the Cruisers one bit, big, expensive, gas hogs. But it stands to reason that I'm mildly psychotic because I also don't hate IFS.

I with him. I loved my cruiser and may get one again as a second vehicle but love the ifs and getting over 13mpg.

I would say a 62 with a 5 speed swap would be a good start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy