1988 4Runner: Summer Beater

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I thought the snorkel discussion always led to "it's more for dusty roads than deep water crossings", I'm sure it has it's place under water as well but I see the value in less dust in the intake. This may be because I'll never have a truck up to it's hood in water, not on purpose at least or unless I've really planned for it and sealed up all the rest of the important things in the rig. If ya have a big hole in your fender, you may as well fill it.

Cheers,
Jorge

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I just read about your T-case noise after the gearset swap. I ran into the same thing after my 4:1 gearset swap. I never did figure out what caused it but it went away on its own. That was about 10 years ago and it's been great since--no problems. I sure can't explain it, but maybe your noise will go away too.

ssapach

Adventurer
I just read about your T-case noise after the gearset swap. I ran into the same thing after my 4:1 gearset swap. I never did figure out what caused it but it went away on its own. That was about 10 years ago and it's been great since--no problems. I sure can't explain it, but maybe your noise will go away too.

A friend of mine suggested that the gears just need more time to break in and then the noise may go away. So I keep driving it, hoping for the best, but if it persists for too long then I will try to swap back to a 23 spline input for the factory ratio.

ssapach

Adventurer
Well hello again snorkel.....

IMG_2034_zpse872181a.jpg

ssapach

Adventurer
Thanks Elbee!

I'm lost for ideas on my t-case noise issue already. I kept driving it with the noise, hoping I would notice if it got any quieter at all. I never noticed a difference at all......and I decided it's time to try the 2.28 gears rather than 4.70 gears.

I still get that grinding sound when the driveline has slack, only really noticeable at higher speeds though.

It has to be something in the t-case, the transmission was just fine before I swapped from the chain drive to gear drive t-case.

I haven't driven a stock Toyota with the gear drive t-case on the highway, do they always make a little more noise even in stock form? Or is my t-case perhaps requiring a full rebuild with new gears and bearings all around? Everything looks clean inside and doesn't seem to have any excessive wear.....

Redneck92

Observer
They do make noise just by the nature of bring gear driven and low range gears will usually make a little more than stock. Not sure if your running dual cases but the crawl box almost always makes noise.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

ssapach

Adventurer
I'm just running a single t-case which now has 2.28 gears. Previously I had 4.70 low range and that thing would scream at you when you actually put it in low range and drove it sort of fast.

The whole thing is actually quiet enough when it's under load, just makes noise at higher speeds when there is slack in the driveline. That's why it confuses me so much.

ssapach

Adventurer
Finally installed my t-case brake. I was hoping to sort out the t-case noise first before adding extra pieces to it......in case I had to remove it again. But I give up for now, park brake is a little more important.

IMG_2055_zpsed81e4aa.jpg

Started working on some interior stuff now. Cutting some aluminium pieces for around the shifters. This first piece is about 3/8" thick and will be screwed right to the floor and I'll put another, thinner piece on top to sandwich the shifter boots in. Got tired of the flimsy metal piece that held the shifter boots, that and always hunting for the holes to screw it back down to the floor.

IMG_2061_zpseb199506.jpg

IMG_2060_zpsb4e4aab0.jpg

I need to remove my rear seat heater lines and replace my current centre console with something else, either make one of find something else that fits.

ssapach

Adventurer
I am going to lose my mind over my transfer case noise.

At first I thought it was a clearance issue with the 4.70 gears.......wasn't that.

Then I thought it might have been cheap Trail Gear gears, which were my 4.70 gearset. Didn't mind that so much, as I thought that was a little too low for my unit. Tried out a Marlin Crawler 23 spline input gear for the stock t-case low range ratio........still makin the noise.

Marlin Crawler had suggested getting a rebuild kit, as that's all they would be able to do for me since nobody makes a whole new set of gears for one of these t-cases. I put all new bearings and seals in this thing over the weekend, and left the stock low range ratio with the Marlin Crawler input gear........still making the grinding noise during coasting.

There is no noise under load whether it be acceleration or deceleration, but there is an obnoxiously loud grinding noise during that moment of slack in the whole driveline from when you let off the throttle to when it goes under load from deceleration.

There is no difference in 4x4 either, in fact there is just a little more noise from the rest of the gears running.

Can't tell in low range, as it won't go fast enough. The noise doesn't really happen until around 70 km/hr.

I'm lost and I'm ready to give in and put the chain drive t-case back in.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Since you mention that the noise is only under coast and not under acceleration, that makes it sound like a loose pinion in the rear diff. Are you sure it's from the T-case and not the rear end?

The gear-driven T-cases are normally silent in high-range, with a little gear whine at higher speeds in low.

Maybe it's time to try a different T-case?

ssapach

Adventurer
I'd like to think that the noise isn't coming from the rear end, through the driveshaft, but weird things do sometimes happen. I'll have to check that one of these days I suppose. Last time I had the diff plug out, it didn't have any sort of collection of metal filings on it though, so I just assumed all is well in the rear diff.

I'm at the point of frustration that I hate to even get another t-case if there is a possibility of it making this same awful noise.

Nothing looked overly worn when I had it apart. The shift collars seems to be tight and all, and I wasn't missing any bits or pieces according to the rebuild instructions I got from Trail Gear.

I think trying another t-case might be my only option. But before that, I might just have a peak at the rear diff once more.

OSV

Adventurer

i hate to repeat myself... but as i told you months ago, if you rotated the rear end up, and the driveshaft flanges aren't parallel, you'll almost certainly get vibration on deceleration... that rear end looks rotated up to me?

it's not grinding, it's vibration.

if that describes your situation, you'll need to put a cv joint in the rear driveshaft, just like the front has... that's what i had to do to fix the problem.

if you need to see the math, or more proof from other people, i can dig it up.

i didn't want to believe it either.

ssapach

Adventurer
I most certainly did rotate the rear axle a little. According to the instructions with the rear lift kit, it was supposed to be done (Thanks to Trail Gear and their ongoing hauntings of crappy instructions)

I didn't read that whole article, as it's late, but a quick glance over it shows me what you mean about parallel flanges. I'll have to read that article one day. Thanks for sharing it.

Seeing as how I now have a rebuilt t-case, I guess my one last option would be to try a new rear driveshaft with CV joint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism