1991 Cummins Suburban

Spur

Adventurer
How's the injection pump? Now would be a good time to put in new seals (the easily accessible ones).

Good point. It appears to be in good shape. No noticeable leaks. I'll have my mechanic go through it to make sure.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Anybody know of a really high-quality, high-flow fuel sending unit? In order to do the rear shackle flip, the tank needs to get pulled. Since it's such a PITA to pull a tank, I want to replace the sending unit while it's apart as preventative maintenance. $100 now as opposed to hours of labor down the road seems cheap.

Go to the junk yard and cut out a section of floor and put an access plate in while the tank is out. If it ever does fail you can pull the carpet back and pull the plate.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Anybody know of a really high-quality, high-flow fuel sending unit? In order to do the rear shackle flip, the tank needs to get pulled. Since it's such a PITA to pull a tank, I want to replace the sending unit while it's apart as preventative maintenance. $100 now as opposed to hours of labor down the road seems cheap.

Check with FASS or Geno's Garage or Quad4x4. I think I've seen various versions around and about. There's the Vulcan fuel tube - as to sending units, stock always seems to work pretty well for me. Still using the stocker in mine.

Spur

Adventurer
What starter is in it? You should replace the starter solenoid contacts in the starter while you can get to it easily. My starter was having a hard time starting, and the solenoid/contacts were shot.
http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/starter faq.htm

Plus install,
BLUE WIRE (Fusible Link), and thats all you need for the starter.

Thanks for that link. I haven't visited that website before. It looks like they sell some good products. The starter is in good shape right now, but I might upgrade with some of their parts down the line.

Spur

Adventurer
Check with FASS or Geno's Garage or Quad4x4. I think I've seen various versions around and about. There's the Vulcan fuel tube - as to sending units, stock always seems to work pretty well for me. Still using the stocker in mine.

Vulcan looks like they make some good products. I think I'll probably just keep the stock one for now. At some point, I'd like to upgrade the whole fuel system: new sending unit, new fuel lines, FASS separator, rebuild the IP or replace the VE with a P pump. All that plus a new turbo, more agressive fuel pin, and, and, and.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
I am confused, are you asking for a fuel pump or a sending unit? When I hear sending unit I think of something for a gauge.

Mallory makes a unit that has I believe a 3/8" port on it. Summit used to sell a brand that was high end, had a bunch of anodized aluminum parts with high flow ports in the 1/2" size as well. Magnafuel was the brand. They were pricey and I don't remember finding one that went up to the pressure I was looking for

At the time I was designing a knockoff Vegistroke system, I found several pics hidden on his site of the system before he went into full production, he was at first using an Aeromotive unit but it kept burning up, he then went to the Mallory.

Spur

Adventurer
I am confused, are you asking for a fuel pump or a sending unit? When I hear sending unit I think of something for a gauge.

Mallory makes a unit that has I believe a 3/8" port on it. Summit used to sell a brand that was high end, had a bunch of anodized aluminum parts with high flow ports in the 1/2" size as well. Magnafuel was the brand. They were pricey and I don't remember finding one that went up to the pressure I was looking for

At the time I was designing a knockoff Vegistroke system, I found several pics hidden on his site of the system before he went into full production, he was at first using an Aeromotive unit but it kept burning up, he then went to the Mallory.

My Suburban has an in-tank fuel sending unit that is the same on both gassers and diesels. I've read some reports of people needing to upgrade their sending units once they do a lot of engine mods. However, they were gassers. I'm not sure it's such a problem on diesels. I just wanted to replace it while we had everything opened up. Besides, the Suburban has 220,000 miles on it. If it hasn't been replaced, it's probably due. However, it's not that big of a deal. I'll probably just run the stock one.

D

DEEZLPWR

I hear rumors about fass, their quality is going down the drain and instead go with airdog products. Fass was a father son business and when the father retired the son took over and quality took a crap. The father came out of retirement and started airdog and the quality is there.

Scott39

Adventurer
Last edited:

Bullseye240

Adventurer
My Suburban has an in-tank fuel sending unit that is the same on both gassers and diesels.

Pretty sure your talking about the lift pump not the sending unit. The sending unit is for the fuel level guage, the lift pump sends fuel to the injection pump. Best bet is to replace the crappy in tank lift pump with a Walbro FRB5. By far the best impeovement I made for my 6.5 Blazer. It's a inline, high flow, flow on fail (A VERY IMPORTANT FEATURE!!!) lift pump. The reason the flow on fail is important is that should the pump fail, the injection pump can still pull fuel, although at a much reduced rate and not burn up the injection pump due to lack of lubrication. Remember diesel fuel lubes and cools the injection pump as well as powers the engine.
Just gut the stock unit of its pump and attach a suction tube where the old pump was and install the Walbro in line with a pre-filter in between the tank and lift pump that is at least 50% coarser than your pre-injection pump filter. In other words if your engine filter is 5 micron then your prefilter should be 10 micron. Makes things much happier and longer lasting. The engine filter last longer because it only has to filter 10 micron or less particles and the Walbro will last longer because it isn't pumping crap along with the fuel. If you want to get real trick plumb some vacum switch sending units and idiots lights in to tell you when to change your filters. That way you only change them when the pumps are seeing a vacum and trip the light indicating the filter is clogged and needs to be replaced.

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
I hear rumors about fass, their quality is going down the drain and instead go with airdog products. Fass was a father son business and when the father retired the son took over and quality took a crap. The father came out of retirement and started airdog and the quality is there.

I'm a FASS dealer and have never had an issue yet, knock on wood :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven