1991 Cummins Suburban

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
nv4500, 4.10's, 35" tires

Main reason I want to mod the engine is to compensate for the weight. Fully loaded, I expect the Suburban to be in the 9000 lb range, possibly even 10,000. The stock engine was really great in my 2wd single-cab 250. Even with the getrag, it had a lot of get up and go. I'm not looking for gobs of horsepower, but I imagine that it will feel underpowered once it's all said and done.

I don't think I was clear in what I said. I wouldn't want more than 300-350 horsepower. For right now, I'm just shooting for a 75 hp bump with a few easy mods. Then I want to drive it for a while and see how it goes. But, I'd like to think about the upgrade path so that I don't make changes that I'll regret in the future.

Ah ok, makes more sense now, good combo on the engine/tranny/gears and tires. Should be a strong burban.

Scott39

Adventurer
nv4500, 4.10's, 35" tires

Main reason I want to mod the engine is to compensate for the weight. Fully loaded, I expect the Suburban to be in the 9000 lb range, possibly even 10,000. The stock engine was really great in my 2wd single-cab 250. Even with the getrag, it had a lot of get up and go. I'm not looking for gobs of horsepower, but I imagine that it will feel underpowered once it's all said and done.

I don't think I was clear in what I said. I wouldn't want more than 300-350 horsepower. For right now, I'm just shooting for a 75 hp bump with a few easy mods. Then I want to drive it for a while and see how it goes. But, I'd like to think about the upgrade path so that I don't make changes that I'll regret in the future.
I run 35'' tires, NV4500, 4.10 gears, a gear vendor overdrive, and love my rpm`s running down the highway at 75-80mph.

Last edited:

Spur

Adventurer
No new pics of the build right now :( However, there is an update. All of the parts are in. The suspension is done. Today they are starting on the axle swap and the engine swap is scheduled for later this week.

I'd like everyone's opinion on something. I've started thinking about armor, specifically the front bumper/grill guard. Main concern is weight. It MUST be lightweight, but it also needs to hold a 12k lb winch and 4 lights (2 driving, 2 fog). To save on weight, I might just do a bumper without a grill guard. However, a grill guard has saved my truck more than once in the past, so I'd like to have at least some protection.

I really like this style but I'm concerned about it limiting my approach angle. It's a big sucker.

gauntlet2.jpg

Here are a couple more. Maybe a bit more lightweight.

DSC01687a.jpg

P1010340.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have seen a few winches that where inverted under the radiator area on GM products. Don't be afraid of mounting the winch in an unconventional position.
I think that 4wheeloffroad mounted a winch in this location on there military chevy truck buildup......

131_0405_cucv_22_z.jpg

Here is the link to the article.....

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/chevy/131_0405_1986_chevy_1_ton_army_truck_3/index.html

The winch is mounted almost back to the spring hangers, and they mentioned room for a 15K winch.......

I wanted to mount my winch like this on my dodge but there is a huge crossmember in this location that I would have to move......

I would vote for a heavy duty winch mount in this location engineered into the frame with a lighter, somewhat disposable, bumper and grill guard to round out the front of the 'burb.

Honestly if you build it correctly you don't need anything thicker than 1/8" thick material for the bumper and some .120 wall tubing for the grill guard.

I would suggest tapering the bumper at the corners as much as possible and tucking it in as close as possible to the body. I would also trim off the front fender corners below the grill. You can leave a little extra and form a flange edge on the panel for support.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
When you pull the front bumper off you will be amazed at how much room there is behind it. Easily enough room to mount a winch under there. Could even go total Q-ship and put the fairlead behind the front plate in the stock bumper.

At one time I had planned to build a socket receiver hitch in that area, and use my M8 on a cradle. An M8 might be a bit small, but I A) have it, & B) have yet to ever need it. Plus, putting it in a cradle means that I can use it with my '84 Mini and the FJ60.

Only thing to be careful of is that the late models have a significant tubular PS cooler mounted to the bottom of the core support directly under the radiator.

IMG_0105-1-1.jpg

IMG_0107-1.jpg

4x4mike

Adventurer
I have seen a few winches that where inverted under the radiator area on GM products. Don't be afraid of mounting the winch in an unconventional position.
I think that 4wheeloffroad mounted a winch in this location on there military chevy truck buildup......

I had a winch mounted in my checy like this. My frame was boxed up there though. I made a mount out of a milemarker winch mount plate and bolted it in place.

Attachments

• DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 121

Spur

Adventurer
Thanks for the great ideas. Keep 'em coming. I really like the idea of stuffing the winch up under.

I stopped by the shop today and took a couple of pics of all the parts that came in.

Boyce Dana 60 :drool: I never thought I would get so excited about an axle.

august_20_012_zps3aea1c50.jpg

Table full of suspension parts from ORD ready to be installed:

036.jpg

Last edited:

Spur

Adventurer
ORD does some great stuff, are you useing there shackle flip system in the rear?

Yep. The strap is holding the old fuel tank in place temporarily. The tank is getting replaced with a slightly larger unit.

037.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'll be watching.....I've got to find something to get me motivated to work on my dodge. I lost all my steam now that we moved and summer is here! :)

Spur

Adventurer
I'll be watching.....I've got to find something to get me motivated to work on my dodge. I lost all my steam now that we moved and summer is here! :)

I hear you. I was fixing the door locks on my old Mercedes diesel today. It's 101 degrees outside, so I decided to come in and cool off for a bit. Hard to get work done in this crazy heat we've been having in Texas. I've been staying up late to get work done after the sun goes down. I envy you being up in Colorado.

Cody1771

Explorer
must say Spur this is going to be a amazing truck, have you been using 4btswaps.com? anyways i would LOVE to do a cummins swap on my truck but alas it is a 1/2t frame and cant handle a 6BT, so i have to go through the long road of finding a reasonably priced 4BT,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven