1995 K2500 Suburban "light duty overlanding rig" build thread

wildviking

So I just picked up this 1995 3/4 ton Suburban out of Colorado a few weeks ago. It's got 139,000 miles on it and a super clean interior and straight exterior. It's obviously 4x4, and equipped with the gas guzzling but powerful 7.4L v8. Behind that is the 4L80E transmission, as well as the fully floating 14 bolt rear axle. Things I like about it so far? It's one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever riden in or drove, it's one of the last "classic" domestic products built that also has somewhat modern mechanicals like shift on the fly 4x4 and efi. Also it has a 42 gallon fuel tank...it's massive!!! We drove 12 hours home with it and only fueled up twice - while making 12 mpg! Things I don't like about it so far? Independent front suspension and under powered braking ability. That's honestly about it. It is huge and gets terrible fuel mileage, so some might view that as a downside but for what I will be doing with it and building it for - it's perfect!
suburban.jpg
I bought this rig mostly for transporting myself, my wife and our daughter to and from various destinations all around North America, with the ultimate goal of driving this thing to Alaska (that's like a 5 year goal at the earliest) In the meantime, we will be driving this thing all over North & South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Canada, and the Southwest states over the next few years, camping as we go, bringing our mountain bikes along, exploring as many old fire roads and gravel trails as this beast will allow us to. This is by far the biggest vehicle I've ever owned and so far I'm loving it!

Now for my plans for the rig

1. Come up with a nickname for her (all suggestions are welcome!)
2. Swap out the front brakes for the beafier k3500 dually gm brakes
3. Replace the stock 16x6.5 steel rims with something aluminum to save weight and help improve braking
4. Replace front and rear shocks with Bilstein 4600s
5. Replace rear bumpstops (front still look pretty good)
6. Baseline all mechanicals/change fluids etc
7. Stuff 35" tires underneath this thing on stock suspension
8. Repaint the entire truck black (typical gm paint is peeling and flaking everywhere)
9. New front grille and headlights
10. Possibly some elaborate camping setup in the back of the truck

That's all for now, but as the build progresses, I am sure there will be plenty of further mods coming down the line.

I'll try to keep this space updated on everything that happens to her.

john61ct

Adventurer
Tow capacity ?

Shooting for a 14K pounds GVW trailer

cross country over the Rockies, slow is fine

Only once each year or so

trying to avoid having to get a 3500

8.1L gasser might help?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Tow capacity ?

8.1L gasser might help?
The 2500 suburban maxes out at about 10k lbs.

Skinny

Torch the plastic front suspension off and install a real axle. Project done...

Everything else is pretty solid for what you need to do with it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Jacobm

Tow capacity ?

8.1L gasser might help?

The highest tow capacity for a Suburban is 12k for the GMT800 8.1L, but I'd be wary of the shorter wheelbase on a suburban when towing that heavy. Also know that if you're involved in an accident and over the sticker limits, your insurance may find that a reason not to cover you.

john61ct

Adventurer
The highest tow capacity for a Suburban is 12k for the GMT800 8.1L, but I'd be wary of the shorter wheelbase on a suburban when towing that heavy. Also know that if you're involved in an accident and over the sticker limits, your insurance may find that a reason not to cover you.
Good to know. Possible I'll be able to stay under 12K, maybe pay for tows until I know for sure

wildviking

So yesterday I finally had time to swap out the front and rear shocks

I pulled out the old shocks quite easily. The stock AC Delco units were still on the truck, and had absolutely zero rebound whatsoever. I replaced them all the way around with Bilstien 4600s. Took only 2 hours to complete the job on all 4 shocks and didn't take a wheel off to do it!
tempImage2dOkqZ.jpg
Before
tempImageoOHoh2.jpg
After

The ride quality is much nicer now! Still has that big boat feeling to it when hitting big bumps, tho. But I'm happy with the improvement and for only $300 and 2 hours work, it was well worth it!

While I had the rig in the shop, I went ahead and put 2 inch Titan wheel spacers on the back of the truck to widen out the rear track width. For some reason, on these gmt400s the rear axle is about 4 inches narrower than the front IFS track, and that really bugs me, so I took care of it with some spacers. I'm not too worried about the extra wear and tear of spacers on that fully floating rear axle, and it just looks a lot cleaner!
tempImageqYeqM4.jpg
tempImagengu5qC.jpg
tempImageFLfs9q.jpg
Before - note how sunk in the back wheel is
tempImagePtdlSf.jpg
After - with the 2 inch titan spacers installed

Attachments

• tempImagexEqFvQ.jpg
    tempImagexEqFvQ.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hmm name for a black Suburban..... It would look very Men in Black or Secret service.. So..

Kay?
Jay?
Fed?

Very nice truck. I had a '99 Tahoe and it was a great vehicle. Almost the best visibility of any vehicle I've owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk