1995 Land Rover 6.2 diesel w/manual trans

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Nice score, but make sure that if it hasn't already been done, that you upgrade the front rotors and brakes to the D90 spec kit that Will Tillery sells! That 6.2 is a heavy mama jama!

D

Rhinob

Observer
I am always up for sensible upgrades and the brake upgrade may be one of them. Especially if Felix sets it up as an heavy-duty expedition Landy.

Since it's not a sports car and I've never worried about my apex, I think the brakes do just fine. Never noticed a fade. Stops on a dime. Dual vacuum pumps seemed the best brake upgrade, which is why the second pump was installed. Redundancy in vacuum assist is cheap insurance and the pumps should be tested annually to be sure they're both working.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I've thought about the D90 kit from Will -- but I'm curious to see how the 5-speed and the big displacement diesel with change my driving habits.

Beyond any engine work -- and I have no reason to suspect Dens' 6.2L is anything less than he says it is -- it will get a basic skeletal upgrade... sliders, rear bumper (RTE will probably enjoy my holiday spending), and some basic skid-plate solutions. Enough to shore-up basic SUV weak-spots and ensure it can make it through some basic obstacles, should I happen to encounter them. :smiley_drive:

Roof rack will be a necessity only because I literally have no place to store any ExPo stuff, so I'll likely be mall-crawling with a bunch of crap strapped to the roof. ;) I kind of the like the Voyager, but if anyone has an SD they want to off-load on me, well, my check-writing hand is ready.

Long term plans include toying with the idea of a Banks Sidewinder turbo for the 6.2L (the ability to easily and relatively cheaply tune the Detroit diesel was a big draw in this purchase) -- curious to see how much crap I can stuff under the poor Disco's hood.

I'm off to southeastern Arizona in six months, so rocks and dust will probably result in a raised intake (wonder if I'll have issues with the 6.2's passenger side intake) and definitely want a locker for the rear axle -- probably an ARB air locker or something relatively basic.

Beyond that, well... we'll see :chef:

arcteryx

Adventurer
Long term plans include toying with the idea of a Banks Sidewinder turbo for the 6.2L (the ability to easily and relatively cheaply tune the Detroit diesel was a big draw in this purchase) -- curious to see how much crap I can stuff under the poor Disco's hood.

I would be very careful about that. A friend had a 6.2L in a Land Cruiser. It worked flawless. He got a banks installed and it never ran the same again. Lots of problems trying to get it to run right.

Congrats on the purchase.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I would be very careful about that. A friend had a 6.2L in a Land Cruiser. It worked flawless. He got a banks installed and it never ran the same again. Lots of problems trying to get it to run right.

Hmm, interesting. I've been frequenting a few diesel forums to get up to speed and it's very popular -- however it's definitely an order-and-bolt-on kit with a lot of incredible promises (+80HP!! +125 LB-FT torque!!) and flashing GIF images and advertisements that makes me nervous.

Definitely not at the top of my list (it's a cool $2k), but it's interesting to see all the different options out there...

arcteryx

Adventurer
He opted for the serpentine belt instead of individual belts, so YMMV. But in general, turbo + diesel go very well together.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'd be careful with adding a turbo. The NA engine torque is already approaching the limits of an R380, and may even exceed the LT77's capacity. This thread says the rig has an LT77.
If reverse is under 1st gear it's an R380
If reverse is next to 1st gear it's an LT77 or LT85 (most likely an LT77, but if the main casing is not black it's an LT85 which is stronger)

LtFuzz

Explorer
I'd be careful with adding a turbo. The NA engine torque is already approaching the limits of an R380, and may even exceed the LT77's capacity. This thread says the rig has an LT77.
If reverse is under 1st gear it's an R380
If reverse is next to 1st gear it's an LT77 or LT85 (most likely an LT77, but if the main casing is not black it's an LT85 which is stronger)

Yeah after further discussion with Dens it turns out it has an R380.

I'm cautiously optimistic about how the R380 will handle the 6.2 over time -- a few guys in England have mated it to the ZF HP422 without any issues. They're posting 0-60 times in the low 10 second range and easy mid-20s mpg, so I'm curious to see what kind of performance I'll get.

While the mil-spec 6.2 comes in at 165hp/330lb-ft, the commercial versions were significantly less powerful and not too far off from the Rover V8s. I'll get it on a dyno immediately to see what I'm working with.

I do see stronger half-shafts in my future...

Viggen

Just here...
Glad someone bought this. I drove it a couple of time. Dens is a great guy and the truck is probably one of the nicest D1s around. Super clean. One thing I would look at is space requirements for the turbo though. If you look at them, they mount up high right off the manifold and when I looked at it, I couldnt imagine there being enough room there for one. It pulled nice and easy as it is so I didnt think that there was a need for one. Enjoy the truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman