1996 snow runner

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
it was the first time i had done plasti-dip, i usually used bed liner or undercoating. the advantage to the plasti-dip is you can peel it off when you want and redo it. no need to scuff up your wax or paint with the plasti-dip, all i did was wash and dry it. tape off what you dont want sprayed, i had a little over spray and it just rubbed right off with a rag and some muscle. i had an appointment later in the day so i only got 2 coats on it.

only issue i had was when i pulled the tape up, the plasti-dip wanted to stick to the tape and pull off the body, next time i will just use a razar and run along the tape. ive been told you can pressure wash it and it wont come off untill you actually peel it off by hand. we will see, im going to peel it off when i do my sliders and then ill spray more coats on than just 2.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
so ive been told the plasti-dip holds up to pressure washing, apparently it doesnt hold upto a 220 degree pressure washer

AxleIke

Adventurer
Good to know. I'd heard the same thing. Did you wash it at a regular car wash, or with something of your own?

michael88

I love 3rd gen 4runners! My previous 1997 4runner was just rear ended. I was stopped and she slammed into me at 45 mph. yes, she was texting... Both of the frame rails were bent in two seperate locations, the body buckled on the front to rear axis and left to right axis. ALL of the doors were now misaligned. My 4runner had 220k on it and ran perfectly. It took me close to a year to find it because I wanted the e locker and cloth seats. Now get this. The insurance company totalled it. Almost all of my friends said the insurance pay out would be around $3,500. I differed with them, saying it would probably be around $4,500. State Farm gave me $5,800 for it. I bought it back for $1,000. With $5k and the totalled 4runner, I got another '97 4runner with the e locker and cloth seats with 200k on the speedo. Owned by a Toyota dealer mechanic, everything from seals and bearings to the timing belt has been done within the last 5k miles. So I don't care what anyone says; Toyota 4runners retain their value no matter what mileage is on them. i am now preparing this one for off road. Oh, if you are looking for a good used 4runner that has been slammed in the rear end, my old 4runner is for sale in Tucson on craigslist. It's the red one and he is asking $3,800 for it. He took pictures of it while we were swapping out parts from one 4runner to the other. Yes, I wanted my battery, my tires, my stereo, etc. So keep those old 4runners! They're worth money!

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
pulled the steel winch cable off the 8274 and weighed it 26 pounds

the synthetic winch rope i got 3.25 pounds

will be nice to weigh the new fairlead against the old fairlead when i got one

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
my new fairlead came in yesterday, the roller fairlead weighs 11 pounds, the hawse fairlead weighs 1.5 pounds.

so total weight reduction on the winch after the synthetic rope and hawse fairlead. 32.25 pounds

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
another plan i have been working out the details for is adding an 90's F150 rear fuel tank to the 4runner. the runner has a 19+/- gallon tank, highway i got 20mpg, around town i get 13-14mpg, not a good range when off-road. once i change the gears my mpg will get a little better but that extra range will be nice on trips and traveling anywhere in wyoming where everythings 100 miles away.

So the F150 tank is a 18 gallon tank, you might be thinking wait thats one gallon less. well the F150 tank will fit in between the frame rails where the spare tire currently fits. cut out the spare tire bracket, fab up strap mounting for the tank, and it fits between the rails and doesnt stick below the frame any or only about an inch (different mounts ive seen people use has the distance different). some guys have used the F150 fuel pump but the guage reads backwards, im just looking at putting a transfer pump in and pump from the ford tank to the toyota tank. i found a transfer pump for under $50 that has a 140GPH flow, my math has it at about 8-9 minutes to completely empty the ford tank.

effectively doubling my range.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
so i stayed late lastnight at work to build my roof rack only to find out our welder isnt working right. so i tinkered with a few smaller things and went home.

today i came back in and worked on some other projects for the runner. since i didnt have a roof rack to mount my lights too, i mounted 2 of the 4 on the front bumper since i wont be building my bumper till my dad brings my welder and plasma next month after the family reunion.

(i zip tied the wires up after the pic)

they are 15W five LED 60 degree flood pattern

and i built a storage drawer version 1.0, nothing fancy no slides or anything, just friction. i didnt want to spend alot on it just to decide i didnt like having a drawer. later down the road ill see what happens. the black box was from my cherokee and has an air compressor with tank in itand the air chuck coming out the front. it is just a cheap compressor i oicked up on clearance when i worked at o'reilly. i also mounted a new cobra power inverter onto the side of the box. the mat is just an old rubber floor mat we were going to get rid of at work, i cut it so one part stays under the air compressor box and we can pull the other half out and put it on the ground for my kid to stand on if we need to clean him off or anything like that.

dont pay attention to the faded paint on the box lol i painted it 2 or 3 years ago

also while i was under the 4runner i noticed the rear coils are pretty new since the old man emu sticker was still new, rears are 906 coils springs.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Mothers day we loaded up the 4runner and headed to Flaming Gorge.

Happy monkey

the cherokee trail runs through the area we were in, you can still see the wagon ruts in areas

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
after some issues between the dealer, the state of utah, and the state of wyoming, i now have plates on the 4runner. i havnt wanted to do much work on it since there was the chance i was gonna have to give it back to the dealer. so this really isnt much of an update since all ive done sine the last time was replace the door jamb switch fixing my dome light.

my dad is coming out this week and bringing my plasma and welder with him so in a couple weeks after the wedding and all that, i will be getting to work on this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3