1998 4Runner

3Deserts

Observer
If I can find a Limited 5 speed with factory rear locker and relatively low miles, would the benefits of that combination outweigh looking at later Gen 3s with the multi-mode transfer case?

Asked another way, is there any consensus on a "best" gen 3, at least for expo travel?

Also, how protected is the underside of the chassis from the factory? Or will I have to factor in skids to my aftermarket budget? I'm hoping to keep my immediate aftermarket expenses to suspension, tires, and rock rails initially.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I generally prefer a locking rear differential to electronic traction control, both in function and simplicity. Also, the 3rd gen gives you the transfer case lever instead of the electronic engagement in the 4th gen. If only the 3rd-gen had manually-locking front hubs!

I haven't heard of the newer technology being problematic, but I still prefer mechanical levers to buttons and dials, especially if you are going to be far from civilization.

I'm not sure about the 4th gen, but the 3rd is reasonably well protected underneath. I would imagine they took precautions on the 4th gen as well.

I imagine any 3rd gen would make a good expo platform. I'd enjoy the base model with 15" wheels and the 2.7 4-cylinder for tire availability and fuel economy/range. The rear suspension has quite a bit of travel--you can go lots of places without the differential locker.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I can find a Limited 5 speed with factory rear locker and relatively low miles, would the benefits of that combination outweigh looking at later Gen 3s with the multi-mode transfer case?

While you're at it you might as well go for the unicorn-skin seats and perpetual motion machine in the dashboard because AFAIK there was never a 5 speed limited. ;)

Asked another way, is there any consensus on a "best" gen 3, at least for expo travel?

As with many things ExPo, there are as many answers as there are ExPo members. Also, sometimes the choices we make are bound by circumstances that are outside the strict ExPo needs. In my case, for example, I decided to go with an automatic tranny instead of a manual even though I would prefer a manual, because I need a vehicle my wife can drive.

It's easier to find automatic 4runners, manuals were only made from 1996 - 2000 and they're not nearly as common, and a lot of them are on "base model" (as opposed to SR5 model) 4runners or those with the 4 cyl engine.

From what I've heard, finding a manual SR5 with the E-locker is also more difficult than finding one without.

As far as "consensus" goes, most people prefer the 99 + models because Toyota made a lot of nice mid-grade model updates that are desirable (better cup holders, more power outlets, etc.) 99 is often thought of as the "preferred" year for off-roaders because the 99's had the tallest factory suspension (these are often called "tall coil" models.)

Really, you have to consider that the newest 3rd gen is now 9 model years old (2002) and the older ones are now approaching 200,000 miles, so really you can "prefer" all you want, but you can only buy what is available at a reasonable price in your area.

Also, how protected is the underside of the chassis from the factory? Or will I have to factor in skids to my aftermarket budget? I'm hoping to keep my immediate aftermarket expenses to suspension, tires, and rock rails initially.

There is a factory skid under the engine/transmission that extends to cover part of the T-case. They are decent, I've never felt the need for more. Nice thing about the 3rd gen 4runner is that there's a big aftermarket out there so if you want a more stout skidplate, you can buy a bolt-on pretty easily.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
98-99-00 are the best in my opinion. Sure occasionally I say weee I have AWD as I drive in the snow at the push of a button. However, when the silly electronic AWD actuator failed and I had to replace it I thought, I sure wish I just had 2wd or 4wd with a nice old lever.

I think a 99 with rear locker, manual transmission, 4wd, no sunroof, and tan interior would be perfect.

Mine is great and I have no plans of selling it, but when I sleep in it the extra 3-4 inches you get with a lack of sunroof would be nice, the AWD and A-trac aren't needed (And my atrac died many years ago anyway and it was the first gen a-trac so it's no where near as good as the newer FJ or 4runner Atrac).

Otherwise, have at it!

I drive carefully so I had no need for skids for many years. Even now I generally only put on my front budbuilt skid when I offroad. That being said, I'm not a rock crawler so plan accordingly based on the terrain you do.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
for me the most important thing would be the newer interior, I needed good cup holders. I ended up with a 02 so I have the awd and automatic. 01 and 02 were all auto's. If I found a clean 00 with 5 speed and locker id rather have that over the awd and auto tranny. but either way you will be happy :victory:

slus

Adventurer
Love my 99 5 speed:sombrero: No locker, but it's not a deal breaker. Much easier to swap in a locking axle than swap to 5 speed!

rickashay

Explorer
I would agree to many posts above. 98-00 are IMO the best years to own. I was originally looking for a "Limited" 3rd gen. T4R so that I got the locker from factory. I ended up settling on a 98 SR5 auto, 4x4, no sunroof. I LOVE the extra headroom w/out the sunroof, I'm actually happier with the cloth seats vs. Leather in the Limiteds, and I bought the rear end out of a Limited for cheap -> so now my SR5 will soon have the e-locker!

There is so much aftermarket support for these you really can't go wrong. I think the manual 4x4 T-case by far exceeds the electronic stuff. AWD may be a nice feature but the electronic wizardry may fail when you need it most.

Just a note, if you DO buy an automatic 4Runner, put an external transmission cooler as the first mod on your list. From factory the tranny cooler is a section in the bottom of the radiator and is notorious for leaking (if not replaced being preventative). The engine coolant will mix with the ATF fluid and cause "the strawberry milkshake." AKA transmission failure. It's a cheap and easy fix though and you will be set once you ad the external cooler.

Hope that helps!

Ric

Adventurer

as far as the "limited" with an E-locker and 5-speed, not sure, I do know that there are 3rd gen 5-speeds with the E-locker, they are out there, they are VERY hard to find, I know of a toyota tech, that told a friend there was no such rig, well about 2 months later we found one and the friend bought it. Since then, I have seen about 5 for sale

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I've got a 97 SR5 5 speed. I'll admit that the cup holders in the dash sometimes suck, but I deal with it. Bottles fit and so do my travel mugs. I don't have the rear diff lock, but really don't care. I wouldn't trade my 5 speed for anything. Mine just ticked over 207k yesterday and is running great.

IMO, find one with a manual. If it doesn't have a rear locker, don't let that be a deal-breaker. Put one in later. You can easily swap a Toyota rear locker in or buy an ARB.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
I've got a 99 hilander sport model. 3.4 v6, no locker (yet), auto tranny, power everything. I love it. It now has 220,xxx miles. If it ever wears out, I'll rebuild the engine and keep driving it.

Applejack

Explorer
I think the manual 4x4 T-case by far exceeds the electronic stuff. AWD may be a nice feature but the electronic wizardry may fail when you need it most.

This is a common misconception about the AWD feature and 3rd gens. This is no electronic wizardry here. It relies upon a center differential (viscous coupler) to allow for slippage in the drivetrain. I think a lot of folks confuse this with traction control of the '01-02 models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk