1999 Jeep Wrangler 2.2L Kubota diesel swap

redveloce

Adventurer
whatever you do,stay away from a sc on the 4.0's :)

still waiting on that compound business thing .

I wouldn't know what you're talking about... :elkgrin:

20130326_202501_zpsc6fc3abd.jpg

d67u57

Adventurer
interesting picture you may have found on the net there :p

i'm going to have a look online see what the distance between the two turbo's does

to lag or lack of it?

edit : any hard numbers on what the engine can take? 80hp? 100? 120? torque will be sweet in either case

redveloce

Adventurer
You'd think I could find an example with better welds!

No data, it's all new ground.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

d67u57

Adventurer
welds wise. as long as they hold? who cares what they look like under the hood?

grrreat. think of it this way : you're working for amg and you're given a motor.which needs more power!!!

edit : for now forget the pipe length. compound is compound. a v2 will see them much closer i reckon.

if you get it right,hell you could even start a business based on it. think of the number of diesel motors out there

that could benefit from such a system without breaking the bank.

redveloce

Adventurer
Well, IF I happened to be working on a compound turbo setup, I might say that this is just a fit up on the mock up engine and that it will likely have about 2" removed from the intermediate pipe... IF I were working on a compound setup that is... :costumed-smiley-007

Unless you're talking about extremes, then length isn't a huge factor. Heat retention and velocity larger factors in the scale we're looking at here. To give an idea, the intermediate pipe is 2" diameter, so there's maybe a foot of straight tubing there. It's also going to be painted with stove black and wrapped before it sees any use.

Now this is a long up pipe!

Cobalt_Turbo_View.JPG

d67u57

Adventurer
i like that 'IF" :D

compared to the picture above, i don't think your "IF" setup will give you a half hour lag.

Ristin

So far it's gone through 3 tanks of fuel, averaging 26.6 MPG as tracked on Fuelly.

Nothing in my driveway gets close to this kind of mileage. Our V-6 mini van gets the closest if we're on a long trip and I am driving. We'll see 23-24mpg....
Sigh I miss my 1980 Scout II with 3.3l Nissan turbo diesel.

Very outside the box engine swap. When I read Kubota, my first thought was really?! I started thinking light towers, welders, pumps, and B-20 tractors. I'm extremely impressed with your build and the results. You posts make the swap look like it was a piece of cake. Guess I should stop sniveling about having to replace my radiator and rusted out floor pans in my current Scout project and get it done.

redveloce

Adventurer
Thank you! It was definitely a major challenge, but probably the best thing I have ever done for personal growth.

We just picked up a '99 Grand Cherokee with a bad engine hoping to put the old engine out of my Jeep in it, but all of the discussions I've found say it's "impossible". After some research, I've determined I'll just have to make up some relatively simple frame side brackets and use the original Wrangler engine mounts and accessories. I would have never thought of trying before the diesel build! I guess "impossible" is subjective...

I do still chuckle to myself when I hit a certain cruising RPM range that makes the Kubota sound exactly like the orchard tractors that I would constantly hear while growing up. :)

redveloce

Adventurer
Success! :wings:

Over the past month I have been working on compound turbos for the Jeep. My original setup used a TD04L turbo from a WRX, which had a great top end, but didn't really get into efficiency until the engine was over 2200RPM. Every single turbo setup I've researched was a compromise somewhere, but I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, so I decided to use the old TD04 as the big turbo on compounds.

Most compound turbo configurations are designed for high boost, but that wasn't my goal. I want consistent boost with zero lag across the whole RPM range. I was lucky and a friend had a some TD03 turbos from a twin turbo Volvo which mapped perfectly to use as the small turbo in the setup. I put the small turbo on the manifold where the original turbo had been located, and relocated the large turbo to the side of the engine. I have a lot of room in my engine compartment, but ended up with only one very tight place where the large turbo would fit. It has to be high enough to clear the suspension and driveline, but low enough for the exhaust to clear the engine mount and the intake to use the tunnel for clearance.

Photos on the mock up engine. I need to get some shots of the final installation.

20130410_232053_zps17f311b9.jpg

20130410_232121_zps3cf20e2a.jpg

LOTS of clearance... :Wow1:

After fixing some issues with oil drain routing, and the snap ring seal on the TD03 compressor, I finally got everything working last night. WOW! The turbos respond to load instantly, and will build 8lbs of boost on a slight pull from just over idle. I gained a massive amount of torque in the bottom and peak range, where the big turbo wasn't spooling efficiently before, and am generally running a gear higher at any given speed. When I gave my wife a ride last night, she commented that it feels like it did with the 4.0!

I have max boost limited to 12PSI right now, because I'm waiting for a second boost controller to come in the mail. Total boost is controlled by the wastegate on the big turbo, but the majority of the work is done by the small turbo. Right now the small turbo's wastegate is open at 6.5PSI, and when it shifts the load to the large turbo the EGTs begin to rise, although not nearly like they did before.

The engine seems to be working considerably less across the board, so I'm hoping to see some mileage gains in addition to the broader power band.

redveloce

Adventurer
The sun is out, so I walked out to the parking lot and snapped a few pics. There won't be any burnouts, it's still only a 2.2L :) Someday I'll have to get someone else to film. It would be a pretty boring video from inside, it's actually quieter than before.

20130417_093144_zps7eb98771.jpg

20130417_093135_zpsb849abe0.jpg

20130417_093153_zpsf1c62c20.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach