1st Gen (07) Sequoia Build

Hutch434

Observer
I started building 4x4's in 1989...then went into racecars, and now back to 4x4's. Having a family of 5 has made me a little more responsible, so no more fast cars.

Sooo, after looking at several Suburbans, selling our 2012 JKU, and deciding that we really enjoyed the ability to get off the pavement, we chose a 2007 Sequoia Limited with quad seating, and a third row.

This is the new project:
2012-09-01_10-03-38_309.jpg
BigTree.jpg

Plans: 285/70R17's, 5100's, Winch+ bumper, rear tire carrier, Front Winch Custom roof rack to support a rooftop tent. I plan on building rock rails, and some other protection. It's really unfortunate the lack of support this truck has. Glad it shares the front end with the Tundra. Once I get going on this I will be building a comprehensive list of items that work for this platform.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
look forward to watching your build. Great starting platform, have a few friends with this gen. and cant get them to do anything with them.
have you checked out IH8MUD for any builds?

Hutch434

Observer
There are a few.. one guy with SAS conversion and a few with 285's and mild lifts. I have yet to see a full Expo Rig.

I have been searching the forums for an Rear Air Suspension removal. NO ONE has posted anything except for the 4Runner. Please share if someone runs across this...might just do a Tundra Rear axle swap with leaves... :)

Going to pick up a Duracell 960CCA AGM batt from Sam's Club today.
To Do this week: Xantrex 2500W Inverter and a Cobra CB install.

DanKunz

Adventurer
Tundra with leaves would be easiest since the frames are similar/same. Could beef them up to maintain towing too.

Hutch434

Observer
Tundra with leaves would be easiest since the frames are similar/same. Could beef them up to maintain towing too.

Yep! I agree...just have to do it when the wife is not home. She flipped out when I was cutting and grinding on our 2012 JK..:violent-smiley-031:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Congrats! Before buying the Pathfinder I considered the Sequoia. It was a bit too big for my needs but otherwise it's one of those trucks that people will appreciate more 10 years from now because they get overshadowed by the LCs. I would think that the Sequoias should be similar to the LC 100s (IFS?) in size, power, capabilities. Assuming it's built on the Tundra chasis a friend had a stock TRD Tundra that we took off the beaten path many times and it never missed a beat.

sseaman

Adventurer
I wouldn't mess with changing the rear over to leaves, the coils can be swapped with some of the LC aftermarket parts. Their is a write up on Tundrasolutions from BigO on such a swap.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Excited to see your progress. I considered a Sequoia before buying my Tundra. Still wouldn't mind one, but can't afford or justify one.

spd33

Observer
I picked up an '05 after selling my LX470 about 18 months ago and missing it ever since. I haven't really done anything except removing the running boards, adding a roof basket, debadged and just some general preventative maintenance but I love it! Think of it is a 4/3 size 3rd Gen 4runner. We've used it for camping and just some basic forest service road treks and it has performed fantastically!

Your best bet for the rear is probably a set of stock 100-series cruiser springs. I believe they'll give you about 1"-1.5" height over stock.

TundraSolutions is a great resource as are the iH8Mud forums.

Here is mine:
IMG_2972.JPG

Last edited:

Hutch434

Observer
Front Ride Height adjustable Bilstien 5100's on the way...UPS scheduled delivery is for Monday..WOOT!

I'm going to drop the factory shocks on the rear tonight for extended and compressed measurements. Going to look up the correct part number for 5150's..since NO ONE seems to list anything for the Sequoia with Rear Air suspension. :-\

Hutch434

Observer
5100's done...3 hours...taking my time to put Anti-Seize on everything. Installed on the middle setting gave me about 1.5" of lift. Now I have to raise the back....the ride height is perfect when the air suspension is on the highest setting...now to override the auto controls!!

Attachments

• Bil_07.jpg
    Bil_07.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 159

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3