1st Gen Cummins Build

lstzephyr

wanderer
Did you have to shorten the stock bed? I was under the impression your frame was a custom length. Did you cut your truck to stock shortbed frame length?

I would go with the utility cap. They are more universal so finding or making spare parts should be simpler. Replacing the rear window and rear hinges on my fiberglass cap took some creative bodging.

ramsport59

Observer
I built the wheel base to stock short bed. Aparently my frame chop put 4" in the wrong spot. But the stock bed fits unmolested.

ramsport59

Observer
Finally I have a pic....
999595_638431726199905_1703762268_n.jpg

The bed ended up needing some mods to fit low enough on the frame. Mainly due to my over kill of cross members to stiffen up the frame from my shortened frame. Wheel base is about one inch behind center line of the wheel well opening. I also got my 40ga fuel cell mounted up in the bed, Bed sides trimmed up and a bumper mostly built. On another note, didn't realize how hard it would be to find tail lights and pigtails locally. So I bent up some steel to fill in the factory tail light holes and I will use the LED flush mount lights from the flat bed.

I'll get some more pics once I get it wired up and the rear body work "finshed" for now.

Thanks guys for the input!
Rick

ramsport59

Observer
1450087_639084286134649_1286351663_n.jpg

Lights finshed up. Welded in some 22ga sheet steel. Did some quick body work, not perfect, but enough for the spary on bed liner I plan on painting the truck with. The small side light is there to keep it legal, its a running light and turn signal all in one. Still need to decided where the reverse lights will go tho. I have some surface mount oval white LED lights I may use on the bumper.

On another note, I waited to long on the cap I found. Its been sold. So I guess I'll keep looking.

Rick

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Looks good! I like your idea with the led tail lights instead of the factory ones. Good use of what you have available to you.

ramsport59

Observer
Thanks guys, Those lights , I think look a lot better than a stock light. even with my ******tty body work.

I took a load of scrap to the junkyard, about 1000lbs in the bed. It rode AWESOME and drove great down the highway at 65-70mph. Empty coming home, was a whole another story. Rode like a tank, so I guess I need to make this fat pig heavier.

I have a found another cap, that looks like it will work but the guy will not take a measurement for me... just need to make time to get down that way to see it as its a hour from me.

I'll get some newer pics today hopefully...

Rick

ramsport59

Observer
Well no real update at all. wasted 6hours over the last week driving around looking for a cap. I do believe no one knows how to use a tape measure.

But maybe bumping this up will help, I'm still looking for a Short bed Cap to fit this dang truck! I've found tapered caps that were really close, but to narrow at the gate. I'm starting to believe they do not exist, haha.

Anyone in the MD, DC, VA, PA, DE, NJ area have a cap for this truck?!?!?!

Thanks
Rick

ramsport59

Observer
Found a cap close enough to the measurements I wanted.
url]

url]

In the below pic, you can see the taper difference. 3.5" overall narrower. Not bad and once I add some aluminum to cover the gaps up I should seal up good.
url]

In this pic you can see the cap is about 2-3" to short. If you look at the back door pic, I will remove about 3" of the bottom of the door frame and modify it so that the whole cap will slide further into the bed. Doing that will allow me to retain a tailgate aka cook shelf, front porch etc.
1522082_662511907125220_466752590_n.jpg

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day here, and I have her under the carport. So I am hoping to get the cap fully mounted.

Rick

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You could also do some plywood built-in storage on either side that would help with the width issue, and then drop a sheet onto some supports to make a bed up off the floor. It's hard to describe what I'm thinking, but could add some versatility to your camper shell.

ramsport59

Observer
I understand what your thinking. its was a thought of mine too, but the truck is huge already and didn't want it up any higher.

So, I cut 3" off the bottom and it allowed the cap to slide in the 3" I needed. So now it fits where it needs to. I need to re structure the bottom of the doors and seal off the back end with some new aluminum sheet.

Best part, the tailgate fits and will close! It makes a nice porch!

Rick

1527064_662889040420840_38249790_n.jpg

1525382_662889060420838_261701825_n.jpg

1501805_662889107087500_971164305_n.jpg

ramsport59

Observer
I have to say, after sitting for a week in under 32* temps, and today with 6" of snow and a high of 19* and no block heater plugged, she fired up pretty easy! So I took her for a quick run around the block and to dinner.

I need to get rid of the welded rear axle. Great traction, but down right scary on ice.

1488301_665556096820801_961545732_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk