1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Dash and Electrical

In trying to plan the dashboard layout, I wanted to be sure to think of everything I would ever need in a crawler/camping rig.

So far the dash is going to hold:
CD player
HAM/race radio
ARB switches
front light bar switch
cigarette lighter
USB power port
A/C controls
hazard light switch
gauge cluster dimmer switch
rear lighting switch
winch controls
etc.

But then I thought I might want to add a power center in the bed of the truck to make camping electronics easier to use.

The question I have for you guys is: am I forgetting anything? Should I add a 120V inverter? What else? Maybe one of the cigarette lighters should go in the center console. Maybe a USB power port in the console and in the bed. Am I overdoing it?

jds0912

Adventurer
I have an inverter with the outlet in the back of my tacoma and I love it.

One thing you may want to factor in on your dash is something to hold your phone. Honestly my least favorite thing in my truck's interior is the POS plastic clip that "holds" my phone. It's constantly bouncing off if I'm driving offroad and even when it's not, it's a PITA/ugly with my aux cord and charger hooked to it. Since basically all nav/music is on my phone I wish I had a quality, more visible mounting option for it. If you're doing a custom dash, maybe fab something up like this Mob Armor clip (or just buy it). Just saw it on a TW forum groupbuy; never used it but it looks pretty quality.

Xrunner

Explorer
You could incorporate some extra ram ball mounts to help future proof mounting needs along with an extra switch blank or two. Also maybe some extra USB power outlets so you can run 6" cables to anything you have mounted and avoid the tangled mess?

Any chance you will tow an off-road trailer with the rig? If so I would wire it for a brake controller. And a spot to hold sunglasses when the off-roading goes from light to dark?

I have 110v up front and haven't ever used it, but I would definitely use extra 12v or USB's. In the back my 12v outlet with heavy wiring gets a lot of use for a fridge. It would be nice to have an anderson plug too for a more secure fridge connection.

I have an inverter with the outlet in the back of my tacoma and I love it.

One thing you may want to factor in on your dash is something to hold your phone. Honestly my least favorite thing in my truck's interior is the POS plastic clip that "holds" my phone. It's constantly bouncing off if I'm driving offroad and even when it's not, it's a PITA/ugly with my aux cord and charger hooked to it. Since basically all nav/music is on my phone I wish I had a quality, more visible mounting option for it. If you're doing a custom dash, maybe fab something up like this Mob Armor clip (or just buy it). Just saw it on a TW forum groupbuy; never used it but it looks pretty quality.

That phone mount is a good idea. And I was unsure about the inverter, but more and more people are telling me they love theirs.

You could incorporate some extra ram ball mounts to help future proof mounting needs along with an extra switch blank or two. Also maybe some extra USB power outlets so you can run 6" cables to anything you have mounted and avoid the tangled mess?

Any chance you will tow an off-road trailer with the rig? If so I would wire it for a brake controller. And a spot to hold sunglasses when the off-roading goes from light to dark?

I have 110v up front and haven't ever used it, but I would definitely use extra 12v or USB's. In the back my 12v outlet with heavy wiring gets a lot of use for a fridge. It would be nice to have an anderson plug too for a more secure fridge connection.

Probably not a trailer. I would definitely build a mount in the bed for my ARB fridge so wiring a dedicated plug for that is a great idea.

All those are great ideas.

Thanks.

This truck is small and filling up fast. I am really trying to keep the weight down, like under 4000 lbs, but all this piles on. Makes it difficult to combine luxury and nimble.

Cmpns8n

Never chimed in on here before, I usually admire 1st gens on Pirate. But I love what you're doing, the resto-mod kind of thing. It's amazing and inspiring. I guarantee there are many others watching without putting their opinions in on what you should do. So keep it up, man. I hope mine looks 1/10 as good as yours someday.

I suppose it's time for some more pics. I haven't been working on it a lot lately, but I have been making small progress.

The ECU harness had to be extended 6" to fit the ECU tucked up under the dash. I think there's about 40 wires and that alone took about 3 hours. I also clipped off the cruise control/wiper harness and installed male/female plugs on those wires so I could fish them in through the main engine harness. So now only one grommet is present on the passenger side of the engine bay.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Looks great makes me miss my 82. Someday Id like to do another 1st gen truck, as my daily work driver. Perhaps with a VW TDI swap or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad