1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Anyone ever dye vinyl seats or plastic interior pieces? I'm not talking about paint. I have heard about a dying process that really works, but I can't find any meaningful info online. I've spoken to my local upholstery guy and he just wanted me to recover the seats. If I can't find anything to dye them with, I may just pay him to recover them. They fit really nice in the truck and they are super comfortable so that option seems better and better.

I've been reading a lot of your threads lately. I'm pretty sure one of them, probably this one, has a link to a Canadian shop in BC that restored a first gen truck. The shop also makes fiberglass replacement parts for older Toyotas, you might know of them. Anyway, they did quite a bit of dyeing of plastics on that thread. They might have a clue on how to dye your seats and definitely will know how to dye plastics.

That is great. And they are familiar with Toyotas too! Thanks you.

On that note, I found part numbers for a good portion of the parts I need so I went to the dealer. Almost non of those interior pieces are available anymore. I was able to get the door handle bezels and the door lock buttons (in black), so the list of needs is getting smaller.

Bumper and Winch Mount

I may have mentioned before that no two bumpers that leave my shop are ever the same. I do that on purpose so that every build is unique to the customer. That said, it is getting hard to come up with ideas anymore for new designs. One design feature that I have been using lately is to separate the bumper from the winch mount, at least give them their own distinction. That means I start with a winch mount and act as if that's all the bumper it's getting.

I think I like it, what do you guys think?

Started with 3/8" plate for the mounts.

Using 1/4" plate, I fabbed up the mount itself.

But that structure would need some structure to be effective as a winch point, so using 1 3/4" x .120 wall steel, I bent up this hoop that will tie it all together.

Added a cross bar to tie in the fairlead.

This is what it looks like with so far. I'm using a Rigid Industries E2 Hybrid light bar for some nocturnal illumination.

Last edited:
SmallDetails

I'm still working on tidying up all the wiring and one spot that was particularly challenging was the underside of the transmission tunnel. It is tight down there. I also had to figure out how the get the rear O2 wiring on to the opposite side of the truck from where it was stock, without putting it in harms way from the driveshaft, the heat of the exhaust or from boulders that might come up and attack it. I ended up extending it to continue down the passenger side of the truck to the fuel tank and then across on the driveshaft crossmember. Nice and tidy.

Two other things that required attention were the 4WD light switch and the VSS. I didn't want to use the plastic screw on type of VSS because they are bulky and can become damaged from hanging off the t-case as far as they do, so I bought the kit to modify the Tacoma VSS from Inchworm Gear.

The 4WD light switch was real close to the body. Not so close that I am worried about it hitting the body, but close enough that getting it in and out of the case is difficult. I made this simple mod that uses blade terminals soldered and epoxied in. Now I can install the switch without the cumbersome pigtail in the way.

The winch mount and hoop look very clean. Are you thinking tube or plate for the bumper?

Probably tubing. I have a hard time with plate. To get the triangulation right with plate, the bumper ends up weighing considerably more than an equally as strong tubing structure. One of my criteria for bumper building is you must be able to lift the vehicle by the bumper with a high lift. I am considering a couple designs, but I probably won't know until I start building.

Wow... another level of clean.

Thanks.

Small detail work accomplished.

Mounting bung and bracket for the light bar.

Had to insulate the firewall at the exhaust manifold. I figured I would have to do that in the beginning. I use a peel and stick woven fabric coated with a foil. It works extremely well and to my knowledge, is the only material that can be used outside of the vehicle. It will stand up to the elements where the others will not.

I had purchased and installed a TG transfer case mount. Well the vibrations were just too much for me. It hit the aluminum casting which is probably where some of the vibration is coming from. I put the "V6" style OEM mount back in.

I have been driving the truck around without a transmission tunnel cover and the fumes damn near killed me so it was time to make the cover and seal it up. I have a really cool piece of corrugated steel sheet for the cover, but I wanted to make a template first so I don't make any mistakes cutting out the corrugated steel. Here's is the template. It will do for a while. Now I just need to find some really nice shift boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad