1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

IS-RIDER

Observer
Hello, new to the forum. I couldn't stop scrolling threw your build once I saw how in depth you were taking this. Really in awe of your fabrication skills and mechanical/yota knowledge! Very nice work!

Ride it like you stole it!

Mertens

On the shop sizes 40x60 will never do! I started to write a novel about the progression of our shops and storage but realized no one wanted to read that novel.

The long and short of it is no matter how much room you have you will always find a way to pack every nook and cranny full!

Even if you have no intentions, being a business, just wait until tax time and your accountant suggests you reinvest to avoid too much gains taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, new to the forum. I couldn't stop scrolling threw your build once I saw how in depth you were taking this. Really in awe of your fabrication skills and mechanical/yota knowledge! Very nice work!

Ride it like you stole it!
Thank you. Keep watching my facebook page for more current updates.

On the shop sizes 40x60 will never do! I started to write a novel about the progression of our shops and storage but realized no one wanted to read that novel.

The long and short of it is no matter how much room you have you will always find a way to pack every nook and cranny full!

Even if you have no intentions, being a business, just wait until tax time and your accountant suggests you reinvest to avoid too much gains taxes.

I want to work from home, no question, and the terrain here is not flat. My property gains about 200 ft in elevation from one end to the other. The pad that this shop sits on now was cut when we bought the property and finding enough flat space to put another shop is going to be tough. I will go up first, then add shed roofs to either side of the building, and if that's still not enough, I'll start thinking about working away from home.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I know how you feel. I've been restoring vintage Airstreams for a few years now, and am moving to a bigger and flatter acreage in two weeks just so I can work from home. I have enough flat space for two trailers and my Land Cruiser now, then up a dozen steps to tool storage, then up another 30 to covered workshop, then another 24 up to the house. Having a flat acreage with outbuildings will be a real treat!

Loving the truck by the way. (Duh!) My first truck in high school was a '81 Hilux, followed by a '82. That was in '86 so I was pretty lucky to have them back then.

Last edited:

Simons

Adventurer
It's funny how we are always wanting something we don't have. Where I live everything is flat. The only elevation changes are the ditches! Lol!

I PROMISE I WILL HAVE NEW PICS TODAY!!!

I have the truck mostly together now and have been driving it. Still trying to source some parts.

Anyone ever dye vinyl seats or plastic interior pieces? I'm not talking about paint. I have heard about a dying process that really works, but I can't find any meaningful info online. I've spoken to my local upholstery guy and he just wanted me to recover the seats. If I can't find anything to dye them with, I may just pay him to recover them. They fit really nice in the truck and they are super comfortable so that option seems better and better.

One of the parts I'm looking for is a solid rear glass (non-slider). I have not been able to find one in the wrecking yards, but I just called the dealer and there is a part number. 64811-89108. I'm hopeful.

Why not a slider?
Two reasons:
A- they never work as good as they should, they squeak, rattle, leak and are easy to break in to.
B- I want as clean a look as possible. I already swapped out the vent window doors for a pair of doors without window vents. I also got windshield rubber without the optional trim. I am going to delete the fender badges and I'm thinking of deleting the side marker lights as well.

I just bought a solid rear glass from the dealer. $156 plus $60 for the rubber. A bit pricey, but I was tired of scouring Craigslist and I need to start driving the truck.

I have mentioned that I have been driving the truck. Well, first impressions are: it rides too firm, the horsepower is good between 2K and 3800K rpm, the brakes are the best I've ever driven in an older Toyota, it's tight in the cab, the bed and cab don't line up...

I have to build bumpers, sliders, winch mount, roll bar and tool boxes, so the truck is still 500 lbs light. I'm hoping that the added weight will bring the ride height down an inch or more and soften up the ride. The body is still in rough shape and I'm still on the fence about the long wheelbase/long bed conversion. I have always wanted a long wheelbase crawler, but I would like to know what you guys think. Yes or no on the long bed conversion? I will add that the plan was to use the short bed rear apron (ie- the length of the bed would be long bed in front of the wheel arch, short bed behind the wheel arch).

The front axle width, with the IFS hubs, measures out at 59", the rear width is 58" (stock IFS). The wheels have about 1.5" negative offset. And it's too tall!!!

Here are some pics, as it sits now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad