1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Mertens

Stoffregen, I'm a little worried.

You are getting a lot of fab work done but I haven't spotted a single dimple die yet?

The "other forums" would be ashamed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoffregen, I'm a little worried.

You are getting a lot of fab work done but I haven't spotted a single dimple die yet?

The "other forums" would be ashamed....

I march to the beat of my own drum. I have an aversion to doing what everyone else is doing. I hate cookie cutter. I love vintage. Inspiration comes mostly from utilitarian and racing vehicles (vintage racing). One racing cue I would love to work into a future build is the riveted monocoque look from vintage open wheel racers like Formula One or Indy.

Almost none of the jobs I do are ever the same. A rule here around my shop is that no two bumpers are ever to be the same.

So now you know everything about me. Let's talk about you...!

Mertens

Well most of my shops fab work is on agricultural equipment so I guess that would make my style "utilitarian" as well.

We do however have a 65 chevy pickup in right now that we are narrowing the frame on to fit 18 inch wide tires. It's about as far from sane as you can get as it will have 1050 hp of reher Morrison crate engine sitting in it and be a "street driver" for a customer we used to race with.

All sorts around here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well most of my shops fab work is on agricultural equipment so I guess that would make my style "utilitarian" as well.

We do however have a 65 chevy pickup in right now that we are narrowing the frame on to fit 18 inch wide tires. It's about as far from sane as you can get as it will have 1050 hp of reher Morrison crate engine sitting in it and be a "street driver" for a customer we used to race with.

All sorts around here!

That sounds fun. Horsepower is a drug and should be monitored carefully!

Update

Since the last pics, I have been able to get the truck running and driving. I wish I were able to keep going and do the front and rear suspensions, swap the bed, build the roll cage and finish the exterior paint, but I had a goal to have it ready for Thanksgiving, which is two weeks away. The wiring is mostly complete with the exception of the heater controls and all the radio communications and sound. I still need to build the dash before turkey day, but for now I just wanted to let you all know that this truck is fast!!!

With nearly double the stock HP, it feels like a new, modern truck. Even on 35's. The brakes are awesome too. Stock brakes are rock hard and can barely lock up a tire under hard braking. These brakes, utilizing the Tacoma booster, master, front calipers and rotors, and IFS rear brakes, are light to the touch, stop on a dime and can easily lock up all fours. I am glad I installed the rear brake bias though. I had to dial it out a few turns to get the rear brakes working on par with the fronts.

I should be able to post up some more pics today.

If I was local enough to help I would; alas, I am not. I have been and continue to be impressed by everything you are doing in house and would love to see pictures of the facility that makes that all possible.

Here are a couple of the first pics of my shop. I built it with the help of my dad and brother. I work 325 feet from home. My Rover was the first vehicle ever to set foot (tire) in there, and I did donuts inside with my old Chevy dually before anything was brought in.

I'll try to get some more illustrative shots.

40x60. I am already out of room so it's time to go up. I plan on building a second story in one third of the shop. I can put my office (or man cave) up there plus some parts storage.

Update: I am dying to drive the truck, but it's always something small that throws the whole plan. I ordered Earls (-3 AN to 10mm banjo) brake lines for the front brakes, well one of them leaks through the fitting and Summit can't have a replacement to me until next week!!!

Bummer...

Simons

Adventurer
So from what I can tell you have approx a month into this build. How many hours do you figure you have into it so far?

It's funny you should ask, I was just thinking the same.

I actually started the job in March, but I waited until I had some good progress made before I started a thread. If you go to my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/StoffregenMotorsports you can see the whole project in real time there.

I bet I've got 200 hours into it so far. This is going to be the most expensive 1st gen Toyota when it's done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad