1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

You mentioned that the exterior of the truck will be a different color than the interior. Did you just clearcoat the primer sealer on the interior, engine bay and inner fenders? Or, is that a close shade of gray paint?
The interior, engine bay, radiator support, fender wells and underside were shot with a two stage U-tech in a green/grey color. We used to shoot the race car interiors and engine bay in a generic grey color to make color changes on the exterior easy. A lot of race cars are built this way so I thought it may add to the race car inspiration of this build. The exterior is going to be a matte finish metallic silver to look like raw aluminum and the dash is going to be brake caliper red. I know, you're thinking loud, but go big or go home right? Once I get the truck assembled and all exterior body panels modified then I will have them all blasted and sprayed in one shot.

Love this build. Major respect!

Thanks.

You mentioned earlier possible use of coil overs? Just curious as to seeing it go back together with stock leaf spring hanger locations even?

What springs are those in there now?

The springs in there now I believe are old Allpro springs. I am leaving them for now, but in the spring I will build a new front axle and three link it. I want to get this truck ready for winter wheeling and my budget is about spoken for so the new front suspension will have to wait. I also have a couple big jobs coming in and I don't want the truck sitting immobile while I'm busy on customer's projects.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have done a lot of the fab work already to be able to three link it so when the time comes. All I have to do is buzz the hanger off, fab up the frame side link brackets and the panhard bracket. The upper coilover mounts (shock hoops) are ready for coilovers and the steering box is ideally located too so it shouldn't be more than a weeks worth of work to build the axle and hang it. And the fab work I will have to do will not compromise any paint I have already done.

Riley

Observer
Please don't get discouraged from a lack of responses, as mentioned above, awe struck is the appropriate phrase.

In my next life I want to come back as a highly ingenious, competent, fabricator who can knock this stuff out for fun. Until then, I watch and learn.

Simply outstanding!!

Thanks for sharing it!

Please don't get discouraged from a lack of responses, as mentioned above, awe struck is the appropriate phrase.

In my next life I want to come back as a highly ingenious, competent, fabricator who can knock this stuff out for fun. Until then, I watch and learn.

Simply outstanding!!

Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for listening. I'm starting to figure out how you guys roll here. I like it.

More assembly.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
The interior, engine bay, radiator support, fender wells and underside were shot with a two stage U-tech in a green/grey color. We used to shoot the race car interiors and engine bay in a generic grey color to make color changes on the exterior easy. A lot of race cars are built this way so I thought it may add to the race car inspiration of this build. The exterior is going to be a matte finish metallic silver to look like raw aluminum and the dash is going to be brake caliper red. I know, you're thinking loud, but go big or go home right? Once I get the truck assembled and all exterior body panels modified then I will have them all blasted and sprayed in one shot.

Sounds like a good plan. How are you going to finish out the interior? Sound deadener? Carpet vs. vinyl? New trim or custom?

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
Awesome work! love your attention to detail. There are so many hack job builds out there, it's nice to see you have this one well thought out.

I also dig the choice of "battleship gray" for the engine bay and interior. Definitely shows the race car influence like you said.

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
It's official. I do have OCD. Someone else noticed it. I'm checking into the Betty Ford tonight...

I think all of us car people have OCD to an extent... Otherwise we would be perfectly content with a bone stock vehicle. Some of us are just more OCD than others.

I would venture to say that Jonathan Ward from ICON 4x4 is probably the most OCD I've ever seen. His attention to details is downright crazy.

Sounds like a good plan. How are you going to finish out the interior? Sound deadener? Carpet vs. vinyl? New trim or custom?

Ideally nothing would be on the floor. But I realize the ramifications of such an extraordinary decision. Heat barrier on the underside of the truck only would be my second choice, but I'll probably end up either spraying liner in the driver and passenger footwells or getting some sort of a rubber floor mat. I left the sound deadener on the rear bulkhead so that won't resonate too much. The roof is going to get a foam headliner like on most new vehicles so I can hide sound deadener behind that for resonance control.

Sometimes less is more.

Awesome work! love your attention to detail. There are so many hack job builds out there, it's nice to see you have this one well thought out.

I also dig the choice of "battleship gray" for the engine bay and interior. Definitely shows the race car influence like you said.

Thanks. I'm glad you noticed and appreciate the color choice.

I think all of us car people have OCD to an extent... Otherwise we would be perfectly content with a bone stock vehicle. Some of us are just more OCD than others.

I would venture to say that Jonathan Ward from ICON 4x4 is probably the most OCD I've ever seen. His attention to details is downright crazy.

He is a huge source of inspiration for me. I actually have a plan to put him out of business (or be his biggest competitor). I just need $500K startup capital.

Sorry for the delay guys. I have tons of new pics to upload and a good progress report to put together. The long and short of it is that it runs now.Should be able to drive it this weekend. Just waiting on driveshafts and PS hose parts.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

Well I don't want to get your hopes up too much. On the outside it still looks like a 35 year old Toyota, but open the hood and light rains down from the heavens. Nothing went back into the engine bay that didn't need to be there and it was all either new or rebuilt or thoroughly cleaned.

Also, my plan changed again. I still plan on having the exterior painted all in one shot, but the longbed bed conversion and exhaust are going to wait until next spring when I do the front three link. For this winter it will be a running, driving old skool crawler.

Also, how do I do a video? I've never posted a video before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad