1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Derek24

Explorer
I'm partial to the old school look. For video, get a YouTube account and upload videos to that then here.

Can't find my camera. Must be in the wife's car.

I am intent on driving the truck by tomorrow. If and when I find my camera, I'll get some new pics posted. Thanks for being patient.

More progress. Built the front half of the exhaust, fitted all the emissions stuff in the engine bay, got the driveshafts built, moved the power steering pump and built the hoses, mounted the battery kill switch and relocated the battery to the bed, and got the shocks mounted.

Here's the exhaust. I built the head pipe using the stock parts. It's 2" into 2.25" then the tail pipe will be 2.5". I used all mandrel bent stainless.

I had a cheap 1310 CV shaft laying around which I will use in the front. I did not want to cut into my OEM Toyota CV shaft until I do the 3 link. At that point, I won't need the long slip.

The shaft on the top is the one that was in the truck before the engine swap and dual cases. Look how much longer it is!

When I placed the motor in the chassis, I had every intention of running a TC style PS pump, but I have heard so much about people modding the stock pump that I figured I would leave it. But I had to lower it on the motor to clear the hood.

Then I built the PS hoses using Aeropuip hose and fittings. I always heat shrink my braided hose to keep the road debris out of the braid and to give it an OEM look.

Fittings for the pump and box.

This pic shows how I was able to fit the battery kill switch, one of the EVAP solenoids and the EVAP line to the tank all on the fuse box bracket. I had to fab the bracket of course.

Then it was time to mount the shocks and reservoirs. I use T-bolt clamps to fasten the reservoirs to the brackets welded to the shock hoops.

tip

Adventurer
As others have mentioned, the details in this build are AWESOME. I especially like the factory style squeeze clamps instead of those damn worm-style clamps. Clean!

Now, if you tell me you plated or painted those, you're officially mad ;)

As others have mentioned, the details in this build are AWESOME. I especially like the factory style squeeze clamps instead of those damn worm-style clamps. Clean!

Now, if you tell me you plated or painted those, you're officially mad ;)

Two of the best compliments I've ever gotten when people see an engine swap I've completed, one was "what did you change?" the other was from a CA smog referee who told me "that swap is the cleanest I've ever seen."

I like to keep an OEM look and sometimes it's a toss up between vintage and old. In other words, do you apply the vintage look to a modern engine or a modern look to a vintage engine bay? The spring clamps are my favorite, and no, I did not paint them or have them plated. I just clean them real good and then put them in the tumbler for a while.

As much as I'm diggin' this build, I'm mostly want to see more of the body/color. Can't wait.

Well you're going to have to wait until next spring for that. I am going to do the exterior paint after I do the 3 link and extend the rear and install the longbed. I know, I wish it were sooner too, but I have customer work starting to stack up.

I can't wait because I want to see if my vision was a good one.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I dig the PS bracket. What mods did you do to the PS pump? Just drilling out the orifice, shimming it? Keep us updated on its longevity if you would. Again, nice work!

I haven't modified the pump yet. I want to try it out stock first. Some of my customers are using stock pumps and the only problem they have is keeping the fluid cool. As far as performance goes, I want to find out for myself if the stock pump is up to the task.

I found this thread on Pirate a couple years ago. This guy mods a 1UZ pump, which is not identical, but it shows what goes into modding any pump. I should PM the guy to see how it worked out after a couple years.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1093516-89lcs-1uz-4runner-3.html

Adventurous

Explorer
Well you're going to have to wait until next spring for that. I am going to do the exterior paint after I do the 3 link and extend the rear and install the longbed. I know, I wish it were sooner too, but I have customer work starting to stack up.

I can't wait because I want to see if my vision was a good one.

Tease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad