1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

If you figure out how to dye the seats and panels, please post up a little tutorial.

I certainly will. First thing I'm going to do is bring the seats to a home furniture upholstery shop. They might have access to better or different dying materials than an auto upholstery shop. If that doesn't pan out, I may just have the seats reupholstered. I can get them done for $200 each. The dying materials (if I do it myself) are about $150, and then it may not work. Can you say "hedge your bets"?

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Love the quality and work out into this build if I had the $$$ you could build one for me as well :) One of my all time fav's - I love resto mod work esp on Toyota trucks

LiveWire64

What a great thread! You have mad skills & your work looks awesome! Can't wait to see the truck finished.
If you still need Toyota interior parts, please let me know. I search the so.cal. wrecking yards weekly &
there is usually Toyota trucks in them. Brad

Geeze you don't notice the wider track with those rims

The TrailReady beadlocks are 17 x 9 with a negative offset of about an inch. The front axle Tacoma brake mods required the use of IFS hubs, add the thickness of the rotors and it sits at about 59.5" wide, stock being 56". The rear IFS axle is 58" wide versus the 55" for the stock '83 axle. So yes, with the new wheels, it barely measures any wider at all...which has me torn. I plan on custom front and rear axles and was considering 62" or 63" up front and Tacoma width in the rear, but I kind of like how it sits right now.

It's a good problem to have though. I would be happy with both scenarios.

Yeah it looks worse now, at least before the door matched.... :)
I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!

Love the quality and work out into this build if I had the $$$ you could build one for me as well :) One of my all time fav's - I love resto mod work esp on Toyota trucks

What a great thread! You have mad skills & your work looks awesome! Can't wait to see the truck finished.
If you still need Toyota interior parts, please let me know. I search the so.cal. wrecking yards weekly &
there is usually Toyota trucks in them. Brad

Thanks guys. I had an offer already but I want to finish it before it goes up for sale. I guess I could just sell it as it is and invest that pile of money into another one...!

I have been working on customer projects, but my mind still strays to my '83 about 40 times a day. One of the things weighing heavily on my mind is the dash layout and construction. I want it to be right, good looking, modern and useful without any gimmickery. One mod I have been seriously considering is using a 9" or 10" tablet for my gauge cluster. I have done a bit of research and with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter, the right software and a properly outfitted tablet, I can run the whole gauge package on the tablet, and I can also have GPS, plus I could delete the CD player in favor of digital radio/recordings. I spoke with my electronics guy, Brian Rebello, and he has been working on a similar setup for a race car. We figure there are a couple pitfalls though.

Can any of you guys guess what they might be?

screwball48

Explorer
The biggest downside i see in a tablet dash is limited resources. By that i mean you may only be able to run a certain amount of apps at one time. Like you could have gauges and music but no GPS. Or GPS and no gauges. I have never tried to do it my self just guessing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatordoc

Adventurer
I have been working on customer projects, but my mind still strays to my '83 about 40 times a day. One of the things weighing heavily on my mind is the dash layout and construction. I want it to be right, good looking, modern and useful without any gimmickery. One mod I have been seriously considering is using a 9" or 10" tablet for my gauge cluster. I have done a bit of research and with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter, the right software and a properly outfitted tablet, I can run the whole gauge package on the tablet, and I can also have GPS, plus I could delete the CD player in favor of digital radio/recordings. I spoke with my electronics guy, Brian Rebello, and he has been working on a similar setup for a race car. We figure there are a couple pitfalls though.

Can any of you guys guess what they might be?
Are you planning on using Torque, or another OBDII app?
The big thing that immediately jumps out at me is losing the odometer and how that might affect legality of registering it. Since you're running the 3RZ computer and engine management you should be OK with most of the usual sensors/gauges. You might have to swap in the appropriate OBDII compatible fuel level sensor to get it to read in the app. Other than that nothing immediately obvious jumps out at me, provided you go with a robustly built tablet - something ruggedized along the lines of the Panasonic Toughpad (those are $$$ though!).
I'm very curious to see what you come up with on this, the rest of your build is fantastic!

The biggest downside i see in a tablet dash is limited resources. By that i mean you may only be able to run a certain amount of apps at one time. Like you could have gauges and music but no GPS. Or GPS and no gauges. I have never tried to do it my self just guessing here.

That may be a problem.

Are you planning on using Torque, or another OBDII app?
The big thing that immediately jumps out at me is losing the odometer and how that might affect legality of registering it. Since you're running the 3RZ computer and engine management you should be OK with most of the usual sensors/gauges. You might have to swap in the appropriate OBDII compatible fuel level sensor to get it to read in the app. Other than that nothing immediately obvious jumps out at me, provided you go with a robustly built tablet - something ruggedized along the lines of the Panasonic Toughpad (those are $$$ though!).
I'm very curious to see what you come up with on this, the rest of your build is fantastic!

I haven't looked into which app I am going to use just yet. Yes the ODO is the biggest problem, I think. The officials will want to see a "non tamperable" odometer. One option is to disassemble the stock gauge cluster and remove the odometer from it, then mount it separately on the dash.

A couple other potential problems are 1- having to boot up the tablet and start the app every time the engine is started. 2- Docking the tablet so it does not get damaged, but is still easy to use. 3- potentially hard to read screen in all types of light conditions.

I still want to play with it and find out for myself. If it does not seem like it will work as a gauge cluster, I still may mount one on the passenger side for the "navigator" to play with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad