1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

I don't know if I would want to trust the tablet to control something that could kill you if it went wrong. Large manufacturers may be able to do it, but they would have a team of engineers and programmers working for hundreds of hours to make that work. If I screwed up or the tablet malfunctioned, I would hate to have someone get hurt.

tweeek

Observer
After a few times dealing with a tablet freezing or having to restart or generally glitching out, you will miss having something simple. I'm sure its all neat when working, but the older I get, the less patient I am becoming with fiddling wiyh stuff to make stuff work.

Just my opinion, I am probably the minority. I would put in some "oldfashion" gauges and switches and leave the tablet for nothing more than nav. I think you will appreciate it after the bling novelty of the electric gizmo wears off.

jds0912

Adventurer
A guy I know owns a car audio shop in California (Soundman Car Audio); he posted this link on his FB today http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-drive-cx-brings-a-digital-cockpit-computer-to-your-car-04361999/

Probably too much tech for your application but it's ************. Soundman also has super slick ipad/nexus kits for dashboards.
maxresdefault.jpg

owyheerat

Adventurer
I just read every post of this thread (all 248 of them)...you my friend have sick skills! Can't wait to see this thing finished :wings:

The 'old skool yotas' have always been a fav of mine.

Durwin

Simons

Adventurer
Hey that's awesome, another rig in a magazine, that's a pretty big deal. Is that the Allpro sas kit that gave you so many problems? Ended up sitting nicely anyhow

Hey that's awesome, another rig in a magazine, that's a pretty big deal. Is that the Allpro sas kit that gave you so many problems? Ended up sitting nicely anyhow
That's 5 features now and about 10 smaller articles. Yes, that's the AllPro 4Runner we talked about. It is sitting nicely, thanks, but it took a lot of work to get it there. I told you earlier that their idea of ideal ride height was a few inches taller.

I just read every post of this thread (all 248 of them)...you my friend have sick skills! Can't wait to see this thing finished :wings:

The 'old skool yotas' have always been a fav of mine.

Durwin
Thanks. I put a lot of effort into the small details that I can't possibly charge for, so when it's my own rig, I may as well do it and feel good, because I'm not getting paid anyway! It's funny, 1st gens have never been my thing, but it sure has grown on me since I started the build.

Nice 4-runner. They spent some bucks on that.
Thank you. He did spend some coin, but I think it was well worth it. The final product is something the owner can drive for years without hassle. He has already put many trail miles on it, as he's got his own permanent spot on the Rubicon. You run a shop in CO right? I think I saw a black 4Runner you built a couple years ago. That one is sweet. I like how you did the lower frame links for the front axle.

Still making progress guys. It's just slow going now that I am swamped with other customer jobs.

I'll try to post pics before I head down to the desert for this year's KOH.

owyheerat

Adventurer
I'm glad you're busy, but I really can't wait to see this one finished. I check in daily (here) to see if you have added any pics.

Durwin

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Read all the posts, drolled over all the pictures, and I tell ya, I gotta stop looking at this darn site. You guys are killin me, building all these cool toys, and doing a fine job at it. After looking at your work, and others on here, I have realized that I need to revisit some of the mods that I have done to my truck, and clean it up. Makes me ashamed of the wiring I have done for my lights, and "slopy" jobs on a few repairs I have made. Fantastic job Stoffregen Motorsports, if I lived anywhere remotely near your shop, I'd bring my truck there for some work.

Rick

I appreciate that guys.

Don't worry, I have a hard time being critical of home built rigs, especially when the owner uses it for it's intended purpose. Some of my favorite customers have trucks that I would not be proud to call my own, but they use the crap out of their home-builts and that, ultimately, is what this hobby is all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad