1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

I received a package the other day so I finally was able to see what the new Carling Rotary switches were all about. First impressions: They certainly look cool, but there really is no place to be able to label them on the switch itself. The switch bezel is large enough that you can't really label the Carling switch panel itself either. The light is only on when the switch is in the on position ie- no night time illumination. I may be able to figure something out there. Lastly, after mounting them in a Carling panel, they looked pretty close together and I was afraid my large fingers would not be able to easily grab them without bumping into the neighboring switch, but so far this does not seem to be a problem.

Hopefully the custom panel from the switch guys will be large enough to accommodate some legible labeling.

Mocking up a location:

Last edited:
The front diff needed to come out so I could diagnose and repair the ARB. Let me say how much I love the Tacoma brake upgrade from Front Range Off Road http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/tacoma-brake-mounting-kit/. With the rotor removable by slipping it off the wheel hub, you get unfettered access to the spindle bolts. Why is this so cool? Because you can now remove the locking hub, wheel hub and spindle all in one unit without having to tear down the locking hub and wheel hub, which are both nasty, greasy jobs.

The whole teardown took only 20 minutes. The leak in the ARB ended up being the piston seal, which isn't surprising considering the age of the unit, but this gave me an opportunity to upgrade to the RD23 style bonded seal. On a side note, it still surprises me after all these years how 8 bolts can support the whole weight of the truck. It's amazing to see a bent axle housing when you think about it.

Last edited:
Oh, it was an old diff. It was in the truck when I bought it. The main piston seal was shot.

I'm looking for a High Pinion FJ80 diff right now to use when I 3 link it.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That's funny. They say Cool is named after a man named Cool, but I don't buy it. I think it was a hippie compound...

Which 4Runner feature were you looking at? The white '87 or the gold 3rd gen?

I appreciate the compliment. Thanks.

Yeah, the old name of Cave Valley wasn’t cool enough I guess
histerical.gif
. Sounds like a cool place to live though.

The Gold 3rd Gen in the March 2015 issue is the one I was salivating over recently. Awesome rig! Curious if Santiago Mystery called you from “In the News” before the feature hit the newsstands to sell you the big wall plaque of the feature. Hehe, I was a sucker for their plaque when my truck was featured in the January 2015 issue of 4WOR.

No he didn't call me this time. But then now that I think about it the only time I've ever bought one of those is when it was my own rig. I wonder if my customers have gotten calls from him about those.

Do you have a link to your feature in 4WOR?

I have a dilemna on my hands. I just bought a FJ80 high pinion front diff to use for the new front axle I am building. I got a smokin' deal on it, but I still need to build it. I'm going to put $400 into gears and bearings and if I buy a new RD132 ARB, they are $1000. I have the 17 year old RD01 that's in there now, and I just rebuilt it so I know it's good, but I can't bring myself to install it into the High Pinion diff. It just seems wrong.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Thoughts? Words of encouragement?

screwball48

Explorer
Aint broke dont fix it. If the older diff is not used in this build then it could be installed in a later build to help offset some of the cost of the new components in this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
I have a dilemna on my hands. I just bought a FJ80 high pinion front diff to use for the new front axle I am building. I got a smokin' deal on it, but I still need to build it. I'm going to put $400 into gears and bearings and if I buy a new RD132 ARB, they are $1000. I have the 17 year old RD01 that's in there now, and I just rebuilt it so I know it's good, but I can't bring myself to install it into the High Pinion diff. It just seems wrong.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Thoughts? Words of encouragement?

This may be blasphemous... Do you *need* HP?

Aint broke dont fix it. If the older diff is not used in this build then it could be installed in a later build to help offset some of the cost of the new components in this build.

That's what I was thinking. But cash out of pocket...

This may be blasphemous... Do you *need* HP?
Well it certainly helps when setting up a link suspension knowing what diff you are using. A HP diff is more 3 link friendly than a low pinion. Plus the ground clearance gains...

I have wheeled for years in my Rover with low pinion Toyota e-lockers and I've never had a problem, but with this new rig, I want to be able to go all out. Not have to drive so carefully while on the trail.

Two solid points.

I guess I feel like I need to expound on the geometry difference between a low pinion and a high pinion while used in a 3 link front suspension. The high pinion diff flange is more centered inside the separation of the upper and lower links on the axle allowing for almost zero slip yoke action. A low pinion diff does not allow for as much articulation of the suspension due to driveline angles and possible CV bottom out.

Am I clear? Or should I have skipped that 3 beer at dinner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online