1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

bkg

Explorer
That's what I was thinking. But cash out of pocket...

Well it certainly helps when setting up a link suspension knowing what diff you are using. A HP diff is more 3 link friendly than a low pinion. Plus the ground clearance gains...

I have wheeled for years in my Rover with low pinion Toyota e-lockers and I've never had a problem, but with this new rig, I want to be able to go all out. Not have to drive so carefully while on the trail.

Two solid points.

this may sound lazy....

wait until you start working on the 3-link before crossing the HP bridge?

yeah... that sounds very lazy.. :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
No he didn't call me this time. But then now that I think about it the only time I've ever bought one of those is when it was my own rig. I wonder if my customers have gotten calls from him about those.

Do you have a link to your feature in 4WOR?

Here is the 4WOR feature on my K10. It was in the January 2015 issue. Rick did the photo-shoot in 2013 at the Overland Expo but they didn’t like the way turned out as there were too many trucks in the back ground so they reshot it again at the Overland Expo 2014. Unfortunately, they didn’t use any of the action shots from 2013 that would have made a nice cover shot. Ah, well. Pretty neat to get a feature regardless especially when it is your own work being featured and not something I paid someone to build for me. Check out some of the comments....some pretty funny ones by idiots and GM haters.

I try to have all the parts on hand before I start a project.

Lazy? No. Just optimistic...!

That is exactly the way I approach major projects as well. Create a spreadsheet of all needed bits and pieces and order parts a head of time before tearing a vehicle apart. I’m doing another Vortec 8.1L swap into a Suburban where I have parts stacked up like cord wood around here but still need about a dozen more part numbers before I tear it down. Much easier to plan ahead and control costs that way.

Here is the 4WOR feature on my K10. Check out some of the comments....some pretty funny ones by idiots and GM haters.

Someone commented that he's rather have his C20...? What the hell is he talking about?

I bought a 2003 Yukon XL for the 8.1 last year. I love that motor. GM Vortec did such a great job when they redesigned that big block. It will be a favorite of mine forever. Now should I use that motor in my 1980 K30, my 1969 C30 or my 1957 4x4 3/4 ton?

Nice truck.

ROS

Amazing work you have done on this old hilux! Love/hate the "before/after" pictures.. Keep up the good work!

84 yota

AMAZING!!!! Would really love to see your shop someday! I have also looked through the 4runner builds and just so awesome!

rustED

Adventurer
Real inspiring build! Definately one of the best first gen builds I've seen in a long time! I've owned three 83's over the years, and would have kept the last one, just wasn't big enough for my faimly. Can't wait to see some more pics of your progress!

Thanks.

Yeah progress is slow these days. I am building a FJ40 buggy for a customer right now. I usually only work on my own stuff when I have down time, but this '83 has to be finished soon, so I can sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online