1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Thanks for that.

Obviously I have an opposing view about why to build your truck now instead of later, but yes, the money does come into play at some point.

That Tacoma is still one of my favorite trucks. I call it Tacoma HD because of how the build transformed the truck. It just feels solid.

Here are some pics. I am working on a loaner PC because mine is being upgraded and the loaner doesn't have any re-sizing software...

Started with a gaping hole where I need to fit the CD player, the heater controls (which had to be moved) and 8 or 9 switches.

General layout.

Fill in the hole with a sheet of 16 ga steel.

Start cutting out holes.

mounting the heater controls for the proper reveal was tricky. I am going to overlay this with another sheet of decorative steel so the controls have to stick out enough to be flush with the added sheet. I had to mount it from behind.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Yea, excited to see the dash come together. I recall the difficulty of just fitting an aftermarket radio into those dashes!

Yea, excited to see the dash come together. I recall the difficulty of just fitting an aftermarket radio into those dashes!

I'm really looking forward to watching this dash/interior come together!!!

Clean! What are you doing for the dash? A foam padded one like the original on top of that or metal?

Fitting the stereo in the stock configuration would not allow for anything else but maybe a couple switches. I have 9 switches going in the dash so a complete reconfigure was needed. I needed room for the switches (ARB comp, ARB front, ARB rear, front LED, rear LED, horn), plus the dual USB ports, the 12V power port and the A/C switch. I also wanted to fit a small CB or HAM radio, but there is just not enough real estate there. The left side of the gauge cluster holds 3 switches (winch power, winch in/out, hazard lights) and the A/C vent, that had to be massively reworked too. The top of the dash on the right side is going to be flat steel sheet with a small fence around it (1/2 inch tall) to be able to place things on the top and have them stay, maybe a cell phone or wallet, etc. The top of the dash over the gauge cluster is going to be steel also and removable to be able to get the cluster out.

I am going to paint the dash silver (matte or gloss, haven't decided yet) and to cut down on the glare, I may paint the top black. Or I could have the top upholstered, but I probably won't.

So far I'm about half done and I've got about 25 hours into it.

50 hours into the dash now...

I am trying to slam it out, but I don't want to hack anything. It will require some body filler.

Mounted the switches on the driver's side, mounted the A/C vents, built the top and the "fence", built in a 3/8 x 1 steel plate behind the face of the top for a bolt on grab handle, installed the factory Tacoma A/C switch, USB port and cig lighter/12V. Waiting on OTRATTW for the switch panels before I can mount the center switches. Also had to close up the gap on the top of the glove box door and pass side A/C vent. Since a factory dash top is not going to be used, there were gaps showing.

austintaco

Explorer
The work on 1st gen 4runner fenders was so good, I didn't think I would ever see something else that would amaze me. However, that dash is getting awfully close.

I used to work as a chef at Robert Mondavi Winery, we would constantly joke that it would be the perfect job if it we didn't have customers. Point being, we got to do pretty much whatever we liked because we didn't have a menu. It's the same here now, if I build trucks for myself, I don't have people telling me what to do and how to do it.

Thanks guys. You always have nice things to say.

Update: I should be finishing up with the dash today ( I better be, I have customers waiting). Color choices so far are: matte silver with matte black top, Brembo brake caliper red in high gloss for the whole thing. Ideas?

odonekanobe

Observer
50 hours into the dash now...

I am trying to slam it out, but I don't want to hack anything. It will require some body filler.

Mounted the switches on the driver's side, mounted the A/C vents, built the top and the "fence", built in a 3/8 x 1 steel plate behind the face of the top for a bolt on grab handle, installed the factory Tacoma A/C switch, USB port and cig lighter/12V. Waiting on OTRATTW for the switch panels before I can mount the center switches. Also had to close up the gap on the top of the glove box door and pass side A/C vent. Since a factory dash top is not going to be used, there were gaps showing.

I see your '83 also had the factory A/C. Did you ever consider using that to activate the Tacoma A/C? Only reason I ask is it could make for a tad cleaner design.

Hats off to you on an amazing job. Wish I still had my '83.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I would vote either the black or silver. I know it's boring, but I just HATE red interiors. I have walked away from possible vehicle purchases because they had a red interior. I used to own a 1981 Chevy C10, that had a red interior and that shiny dash reflected sunlight in your eyes constantly. That was the one and only vehicle of the 30ish that I have owned that had a red interior.

Awesome work for sure.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl