1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

bkg

Explorer
I respectfully request daily updates, complete with pictures, so I can better live vicariously through this thread.

I see your '83 also had the factory A/C. Did you ever consider using that to activate the Tacoma A/C? Only reason I ask is it could make for a tad cleaner design.

Hats off to you on an amazing job. Wish I still had my '83.

The factory '83 A/C switch has a rheostat built into it and the Tacoma switch is a on/off. I haven't figured out the A/C wiring yet, but I'm betting the system can be actuated by the '83 knob, in which case, the A/C button will become another 12V power supply.

Good eye.

I respectfully request daily updates, complete with pictures, so I can better live vicariously through this thread.

Coming soon...

I would vote either the black or silver. I know it's boring, but I just HATE red interiors. I have walked away from possible vehicle purchases because they had a red interior. I used to own a 1981 Chevy C10, that had a red interior and that shiny dash reflected sunlight in your eyes constantly. That was the one and only vehicle of the 30ish that I have owned that had a red interior.

Awesome work for sure.

Jack

Thanks. I agree about red trucks and red interiors. I will never own a red truck. As a matter of fact, when I was shopping for my Dodge Ram Cummins, the only criteria I had was that it not be red. No joke. The whole interior would not be red, just the dash. Kind of a nod to Toyota's tuner history. But I am leaning towards matte silver for the whole thing.

screwball48

Explorer
What about a combination of all 3 colors. Silver with black top and a red pin stripe to separate the colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major Progress

The dash is nearly done, although I am still waiting on a switch plate/bezel from the "Switch Guys" before I can cut the hole in the center for the 6 additional switches. The whole layout is very tight with millimeters to spare. Getting everything laid out and fabbed up left not a lot of room in between which over time, could crack the steel facing, so I spent a lot of time behind the dash adding strengthening ribs. I will eventually cut out and overlay the front with a clean sheet of corrugated steel, a job I am not looking forward to.

Enjoy the pics.

Over 100 hours went into the dash project, yet I still am not done. But I needed to get the truck mobile again to focus on paying jobs, plus a dry fit before final installation is always a must to find lurking issues.

Here it is installed in the truck. Boy I wish I could find black interior plastics.

BTW- the small switch panel underneath the dash is zip tied in place until I get the bezel. It is only temporary.

With and without the steering wheel. I love the quick release hub and I still haven't decided which steering wheel to use, but this one will do for now.

The Tacoma brakes were pretty well worn out so I replaced them with StopTech rotors and HAWK blue pads. I also threw some Hertz 6x9's in the doors so I could enjoy some tunes in the interim. I will need to build some boxes in the bottom of the doors to space them out a hair. Right now the windows hit them when they are rolled down. The boxes will be welded onto the doors.

I brought my 6 year old daughter with me while I bedded the brakes in. 10 stops from 35 mph and 2 hard stops from 50 mph had her cracking up.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
If I was closer to you and ready to retire, I'd come sweep your shop and hand you tools, just so I could watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad