1st gen. Tundra mileage?

Applejack

Explorer
A question for you guys with first generation Tundras. What kind of mileage do you get?
City, Hwy, Loaded for trips?

My dad is selling his T100 and was going to get a.......(gulp)...Chevy, because he saw one that he liked. My uncle had a Tundra and told him the mileage was awful, but I suggested that it probably wasn't much worse, if any, than his T100.
Thanx!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Mine is averaging 16.5 mpg. Thats the long term average including when it's running the highway, hauling my trailers or running the woods. Mine is an '06 DC with 285/75/16 tires and 4:10 gears.

BikinCO

I had one and it was the worst vehicle that I have ever owned. 11 mpg, went through brakes on a regular basis and I had to replace the transmission at ~40k. It was bone stock and never towed anything. I would never consider buying one.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have a 03 4x4 limited,61,000 miles17 mpg and no problems yet. Very happy with the truck and would buy another one.

tacollie

Glamper
I drove my brothers for a while. Averaged 17mpg stock with 285/75r16. He sold it at 190k miles and it was still strong. I kind of regret not buying it from him.

dyogim

Explorer
About 15 on the hwy and 13 in the city. It's not the best but, I didn't buy it for the mileage. I'm running 4.88 gears, 35" MT's and have a lot of front end wind resistance.

01tundra

Explorer
89k miles, had it since day one, been through hell & back......twice, still gets around 16 MPG on the interstate running 70 MPH. No major problems to speak of......other than the self-inflicted stuff :ylsmoke: -

landshark23

i get 12-16 depending on what i am doing but i did not buy it for the fuel economy if i wanted a car that got 30 mpg i would have got a honda. o and i did just get a re-gear to 4.88 and have been running 35s and have been averaging 15 on the last two tank with mixed driving.

jim65wagon

Mine has 140,000 on it (bought it new) and with 255/85 tires it has seen a high of 19.5 (once), averages 18 or so on the freeway, and about 15 in town. I've got a full book in the door pocket with all the mileage figures since it was new. It's been totally reliable, brakes have never been an issue (or anything else). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I can manage 19 pretty consistently on two lane highway driving keeping it below 65. Around town where I live it normally gets 14. I had an '05 Silverado 1500 crew cab and I could eek out 20 to 21 on it in the same kind of driving. The Chevy definately had the edge in mileage but my Tundra, which was older and higher mileage still had a better ride and no rattles whatesover.

My '00 Tundra has 165,000 miles on the clock, many of which were not easy miles. I bought it from a landscaping company that from the look of the quantity of keys, gave every employee a key to the thing. The first 130,000 miles of its life it was towing daily and at the hands of a bunch of landscaping employees. Since then I have used it for a daily driver and light duty offroad vehicle along with towing my trailer with my car or construction materials on it. I have had zero problems with the truck other then a leaky exhaust manifold which is common on the early trucks. I love my Tundra and think it is the perfect size and the ride quality is fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy