1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

rob2thec

sayin they are twins! :wings:
Mine actually did have the same black rims on it when I bought it, plannin on painting my current ones black!
They are awesome rigs man, hopefully mine does everything I want it to someday! :costumed-smiley-007

-Jaren[/QUOTE]

I just saw that LOL. IT will be man!! They are capable!!

Soobarubin

Observer
I just saw that LOL. IT will be man!! They are capable!!

Even down to being debadged on the front grill! That's sweet!
I'm workin on my Zuk mod and a rear Aussie locker for now! Then it will take me wherever I feel like going! :elkgrin:

-Jaren

rob2thec

Can-back question?

Hey Guys,

More and more I am starting to like the Can-back rear canvis for the 1st gen 4-runners.

My question is; Can you still put the stock fiberglass cap back on after installing the the Can-back? I checked out there site and did not see much photo wise on how it is installed to the rear "bed" rails. I did see that it does use buttons around the front cab portion. But I am sure I could figure something out to make that removable.

I would like to have the Can-back for summer but not for the winter.

Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

-R

corax

Explorer
Here's an install thread from another forum
3.jpg

pic taken from http://www.yotatech.com/f126/can-back-installation-1st-gen-4runner-75763/

rob2thec

Thank you corax. Looks like it will install and uninstall without having to drill any additional holes.

Perfect!!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
just wish they didn't cost more than I originally paid for my truck :Wow1:

yeah NO kidding... I only paid 1500 for my rig. The top would be worth more then the truck at this point eh. That said they sure are nice for the warmer months eh. If not to just be rid of the ANNOYING back window for a few moths... ARGH!!!!! It took me a few looks to see that that wasn't some abhorently tasteless cage going on that Runner, it looked like it when I first saw the pic eh.

I just got my Clutch and Master cylinder replaced and BOY am I glad to have my Toyota back in action. Plus it shifts SO much nicer now. The MC was failing and I ended up breaking the Preassure plate and Clutch Fork, BOY did that make for a fun drtive to my dads's shop to get the parts in... Course now I'm ready for another 200+ thousand miles of joy. I'm slowly just re-ferbing this truck to the point where most of the major mechanical's are new... Now I just need to re-do the weather stripping and window chanel seals and fix the drivers side window crank and clean her out and she'll be like new again. That's the ONE thing Toyota didn't make as stout as the rest of the truck was the little interior bit eh. my center console is really broken now after a few hurried shifts into 4wd in teh snow this year with a roll of Duct Tape around the shifter... DOH, I'm an idiot...

here she is in all her glory again: pics are form a year or so ago, but she looks the same, just another yerar older.

DSCN2190-resize.jpg

DSCN2304-ReSize.jpg

DSCN2649.jpg

And here is a day-dream drwaing i made of what may some day be... It's not perfectly to scale, but hey, I did it free hand so.
DSCN1279.jpg

OH how I love this truck...

Cheers

Dave

corax

Explorer
Now I just need to re-do the weather stripping and window chanel seals and fix the drivers side window crank and clean her out and she'll be like new again. That's the ONE thing Toyota didn't make as stout as the rest of the truck was the little interior bit eh.

If you're interested, I found an online site that sells both front door weatherstrips for less than $100

As far as the window crank, is it just difficult to move or completely broken? If it's just difficult try smearing some dielectric grease (silicone grease) in the window run channels, a small brush or q-tip works well - this gets done every 6 months and the windows move nice and smooth on mine

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Oh YEAH I'm definatly interested... That's SUPER cheap compared to what I've found (part of the reason I haven't done it yet. Side question. the trim piece around my winshield (the metal over the rubber) came off cruising down the highway and while it's NOT leaking I'm looking to get it done soon too. SO, do you think that it'd be easier to just go to a Winshield replacement/repair shop and have them replace the seal (I think some of it is just glue of some sort) and the trim peice??? At this point I'm going to possibly just seal it up well with some Vulchem and smooth it out and call it better since I'm already trying to De-Chrome the truck as it is and don't want more chrome window trim as it is.

As for the window crank: Yeah it's just NOT grabbing anything and I can get it to move the window out of the chanel up top and then have to push the window down and when the window's completely in the door it'll bump it up about an inch and then I grab it and pull it up and put it back into the upper chanel. I think it def. WAS dry @ one point, that's what caused the door-window seal to tear @ the upper rear corner of the door/window and now the vertical piece just drops down into the door. I'll admit that part of the failure was just me being lazy, but I do think it needs some lube to that it slides instead of pulling on the weather seal. It would also get REAL hard to crank up and down when cold and then just outright pailed.

Thanks in advance for the heads up on that weather stripping Corax, that'll be a huge relief to get fixed as it's kinda LOUD going down the highway cause it whistles like mad eh.

BTW how's your 4Runner coming along... Can't remember exactly ut aren't you going to switch out your motor or was that someone else??? If so refresh my memory and what are you dropping in??? Yours is the white one with the I6 Supra otor in it isn't it??? I love the way that truck pulls the big trailer it's posted with up grades. If it's not you sorry, there are SO many trucks I get them confused sometimes.

Cheers

Dave

corax

Explorer
Yeah, my door weatherstrip has seen better days also. 4 years of having the tires sling water, slush, salt, mud and general road grime hasn't helped much (finally made a set of front mudflaps that extend up into the wheel well to go with the fiberglass fenders). Here's the door seal weatherstrip, the description says they come in a set of 2 for just under $90 and sound like they are OEM replacements (clips snap into the same holes etc).

For the windshield trim - when I had my windshield replaced years ago, I wasn't even given the option of reusing the chrome trim. The installers used a black rubber trim that fit over the edge of the glass to cover the gap which looks fine, and that'll be what I use when I get my windshield replaced this spring. The seal itself is black polyurethane (like a caulk or RTV) that is used to glue the windshield in place, the trim is just for looks.

Try ebay for the window regulator, should be right around $20 + shipping. Maybe try gluing the vertical part of the run channel in place (glue the rubber to the metal channel)? I haven't been able to find run channels yet except in a junkyard. There's a big Toyota Mini Truck yard in SoCal that might be able to source them, can't remember the name though.

Yep, that was me (or rather, my wife driving my truck) with the trailer. I was kinda thinking of swapping a Mercedes OM617 inline 5 cylinder diesel, but I think it was more of a day dream than anything. The OM617 is one of the most reliable turbo diesels made and most people report mpgs in the mid 20s. The OM617 swap has been done before and there are adapter kits and write-ups out there, but I already have my current swap sorted out. Besides, I need to focus on rebuilding the trans once I get back into a shop and have some space (might be staying here for awhile, already have the job feelers out with promising leads) - 3 times cross country pulling a 2 ton trailer plus a driver that likes to flog it at high speed on and off the road has taken its toll on the input and countershaft bearings.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Sweet thanks man... I see you're in Eugene now??? Awesome, I'm just up the freeeway so we should go out and do some exploring sometime. My Dad grew up in Eugene and we still have property down there I go to take care of from time to time. I LOVE the McKenzie river hwy, LOTS of neat plac`es and great mt. Biking around there with amazing camping to be had as you get farther east. Hit me up sometime and we'll get out and find something to get the trucks dirty. The NW is awesome, I think once you get the job sorted you'll really love it here eh.

Thanks again fofr the link, that's exactly what I need and glad to hear about the rubber trim gasket, that's also exactly what I wanted for mine.

I hear ya on the mot0or too, I was SO set on getting a ahfl-cut 1KZ-T for my Runner but for cost and simplicity of repar I just went with another 22RE... it's hard to replace something you've already sorted out with something you'll have to toy more with and have the truck down longer eh. I love diesel's but unfortunatly there's not alot of support for them in N.America at least not the smaller Euro/Jap varietes... Plus it sounds like your I6 is doing a great job right now eh.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers

Dave

Toyotero

Explorer
If it's just difficult try smearing some dielectric grease (silicone grease) in the window run channels, a small brush or q-tip works well - this gets done every 6 months and the windows move nice and smooth on mine

This is what I use for the window track seals:

21%2BGiXbOyaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80070-Silicone-Spray-Lubricant/dp/B000HBM5S2"][/ame]

I spray it along all the exposed track's three surfaces (window edge contacting surface, outside contacting surface and inside contacting surface) and let it run down into the section in the door, then crank the window up and down a few times to spread well. It seems to last about 6-12 months. I starting using it because it dries and doesn't collect dirt and dust as badly as I would think and oil or grease would.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
As I sit here admiring all the beautiful 4runners and missing mine, I have to question my self for buying a big truck. The first time I had to turn around because the road got narrow and rocky was my first clue and the first time I missed my runner. after going back to cali and visiting with my family I started lil red up and she just purrrrd. My dad looked shocked thinking it would take more than cranking the runner over after 4 months of sitting. Now I am in texas, and while every road I have been on out here has been fine for the truck, but the 4runner would have taken them easier and been more fun for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach