1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

espdtrd11

Thinking of buying

So this is what I am thinking of buying for 3000. It is a 1986 4runner with 22re 5 speed manual 4x4. It has 122k miles. It runs good, shifts good and 4x4 works awesome. It need a lot of cosmetic work. No rust, just under carriage(surface rust). It is completely stock. Is this worth my money. It also has a vinyl wrap which I might take off if purchased. Sound Off, let me know what you think guys. Thanks

Attachments

• 4RUNNER.JPG
    4RUNNER.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 109
  • MOTOR.JPG
    MOTOR.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 56
  • INTERIOR.JPG
    INTERIOR.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 65

corax

Explorer
The price seems a bit high - I would shoot for $2k, but if it's what you want and the price is good for you in the area you live. It does have low miles on it, which helps - you could probably expect it to go to 300k easily if it's been taken care of in the past. I love my '88 4runner and it's never left me stranded, but I also do all the work to it myself and pay close attention to how it's running/driving. The one you're looking at is still a 25 year old truck so you might need to fix a few things as you build it to make it your own. Parts prices aren't bad though, and if you can do (or learn, it's not a complicated machine) the simple work yourself, it's still a lot cheaper than a payment on a newer truck. Pay particular attention to the rust that you found on the undercarriage, frame rot isn't terribly common on this vintage Toyota, but it's not unheard of either (check the inside of the frame rails by the front of the rear leaf spring).

DirtyOregonKid

39252_1504021553283_1016550527_31518946_1076345_n.jpg

87 4Runner. I'm rebuilding the rack and doing some little paint work on it at the moment. When I have better cash flow she's getting full armor and a spare carrier from Shadowcast Fabrication, a local operation.

I'll post up some more pics after this weekends camping trip.

Lawmaker

This is my 3rd 4runner and my 2nd 1st Gen.

Vehicle was equipped with the following:
>> Custom-built, 22RE 150 horsepower Toyota short block engine built by
D.O.A. Racing
>> Skyjacker off-road suspension - 4? lift front / 6? lift back / 2" body lift
>> Custom-built differentials by East ...Coast Differentials - (5.29 ratio)
>> Custom-built high-angle, long-travel rear drive shaft
>> 35? x 12.5? R15 Pro Comp Xterrain tires, (including unused full-sized spare)
>> 15? American Racing rims
>> Warn locking hubs with theft prevention sleeve
>> ARB front bumper with bull bars
>> Warn XD9000 winch with roller fairlead and 100' steal rope.
>> ARB on-board air compressor and rear differential air-locker installed by East Coast Differentials
>> Painless Wiring dual battery management system
>> 2 Optima Yellow-Top 55ah / 750 cca deep-cycle batteries
>> 2 KC short-throw driving floodlights
>> 2 KC long-throw spotlights
>> Newly reconditioned ice-cold air conditioning
>> Custom pillar-mounted gauge array by Glowshift
- Gauges: Tachometer / Oil Pressure / Volt Meter / Air Pressure
>> Three window Can-Back canvas topper
>> Custom-built, removable, Rhino-lined security cage mounted under canvas topper
>> Yakima Load Warrior roof rack with spare tire carrier and Yakima cargo net
>> Custom-fabricated aluminum diamond-plate center console
- Center console with CD player, CB radio, and 1,000 watt 110v inverter with two grounded outlets
>> Premium sound system
- Two 4? speakers and two 6? x 9? speakers (by Sony)
- 500 watt amp powers 10? subwoofer in rear (by Sony)
>> Custom mounted transferable satellite radio
>> Reconfigurable rear or side-mounted awning
>> Engel MT17 fridge / freezer mounted mounted in rear for access from tailgate kitchen
>> Tailgate countertop with built-in cutting board provides an outstanding mobile kitchen
>> Custom-mounted external cut-proof security door and tailgate locks
>> Cable system for locking hood shut
>> Oversized collapsable heavy-duty side-view mirrors with adjustable fish-eye lenses
>> Limo-tinted driver, passenger and wing windows for privacy and security
>> Custom-installed interior starter-kill switch with removable security key
>> Smittybuilt nerf bars and rear bumper with hitch receiver and tow-package wiring
>> Gorilla alarm system with 2-way pager capability

Equipment:
>> Two 5-gallon US military issue fuel gerry cans
>> 3 Plastic PBA-free water containers
>> Cable and locks for securing external equipment
>> Dig-out shovel
>> 60? Hi-Lift Extreme jack / come-along / vice
>> Custom-made mosquito net for sleeping area

New Alternator and starter
Bedlined flooring.

Pictures
k49hll.jpg

2wgahbd.jpg

DirtyOregonKid

what kind of lift / tire size are you running DirtyOregonKid?

The only thing I've touched in that area is adding a leaf to the rear springs. Unfortunately the previous owner installed a 2" body lift.

The tires are 31" procomp extremes.

My suspension plans are fresh new leaf packs in the rear and something along the lines of a blazeland kit up front if I don't end up doing a SAS. The BL will stay on till I tear into the suspension and when the tires I have bald out on me I'm going to pick up 33"s.

Regearing and lockers are going to happen someplace in there but I'm not sure.

Also working on re-paneling the interior
bedbox3.jpg

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
This is my 3rd 4runner and my 2nd 1st Gen.
I've been wondering what happened to the Ramblewriter's 4runner. Very nice truck, your rig was the inspiration for us to take our 4runner on a trip to South America!

Just curious, do you know how much the expanded metal security panels weigh?

Lawmaker

I've been wondering what happened to the Ramblewriter's 4runner. Very nice truck, your rig was the inspiration for us to take our 4runner on a trip to South America!

Just curious, do you know how much the expanded metal security panels weigh?

Yes it is the one and only.
Are you talking about the ones on the back sides?

Awesome! Pics of this truck have been linked all over the place. Good find . . . how'd you get it back to the states? IIRC, is was sold as is, where is in South America

It was shipped back. I am in the process of ripping up the carpet and bed lining it. I am not partial to their dog hair.

I knew that people know about it but it is kinda cool that people know about it.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Yes it is the one and only.
Are you talking about the ones on the back sides?

It was shipped back. I am in the process of ripping up the carpet and bed lining it. I am not partial to their dog hair.

I knew that people know about it but it is kinda cool that people know about it.
Yeah, the panels in the cargo area beneath the Canback top. We're planning on something similar with our soft top and my biggest concern is weight.

jeepstream

Observer
Just bought my first Toyota 4x4 (my first Toyota was an '83 Starlet back in the 90's :eek:). It's an '88 4Runner with high miles and isn't currently running. However, the minimal rust is what made me take a chance on this one. I've got some decent 31x11.5 Kumho M/Ts to throw on it for light expo duty.

4Runner.jpg

2011-04-27114025.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk