1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

jeepstream

Observer
I'll post some interior shots as soon as I figure out why the rear window won't go down. The carpet has to go; I'll find out just how clean the floor panels are once I get it out of there. Right now I'm focused on getting it running before I go after other areas.

Yes, 22re. The ECU is throwing a 51 error that I determined was due to the TPS IDL position not working. I just got a new TPS that I'll install this weekend.

Toyotero

Explorer
I'll post some interior shots as soon as I figure out why the rear window won't go down. The carpet has to go; I'll find out just how clean the floor panels are once I get it out of there. Right now I'm focused on getting it running before I go after other areas.

Yes, 22re. The ECU is throwing a 51 error that I determined was due to the TPS IDL position not working. I just got a new TPS that I'll install this weekend.

That truck looks like a good start on a great rig.

Are you familiar with Roger Brown's website? 4Crawler

corax

Explorer

x2 on Roger Brown's site, he's put a lot of good info together in one place. Here's his page on the Rear Window

before you replace it check the adjustment: 4Crawler TPS page - also make sure the dashpot isn't holding the throttle plate open. If the dashpot is sticking, just take it off, you'll never notice (it'll prevent the ECU from seeing the IDL contacts close, so the ECU thinks there is a problem and sets the code)
4RUNNER443.jpg

jeepstream

Observer
Thanks for the info, guys. I downloaded the Toyota shop manual for the '88 4Runner and have used that in conjunction with Roger Brown's "Cheap Tricks". I've spent many hours with Roger over the last week.

My dashpot is working fine- I tested it while I had the throttle body off. I took the TPS off and confirmed it wasn't getting any reading on the IDL contact before I ordered the new one. I couldn't wait to get the new TPS installed so I did it last night in the dark. No more error 51, but still no start. I didn't think the the TPS was going to be the magic fix but I hoped it would be.

I'm getting spark, the airflow and throttle position sensors are working fine, and the fuel pump runs and puts pressure on the fuel line. It sounds like the starter is slipping since it turns over quickly and doesn't get much resistence. I fear compression may be my problem, but figured it should still be able to start. I'll borrow my friend's compression tester before I spend any more time or money chasing other gremlins. If the compression is miserable then it will be time to decide if she stays or goes.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
if you have fuel air and spark

that leaves timing.....it doesn't have a snapped timing chain does it? I would first check the timing with a timing light, if that looks good pull the valve cover and seen if all the timing marks line up.

mr_crazy

new to me 32's
2 inch block lift and t-bar crank
fresh valve cover gaskets ...(damn v6)
rewired rear window (now 24/7 power)

Photo-0073.jpg

anyone know off hand what the bolt size is for the skid plate? ....
got the plate got no bolts

mr_crazy

8mm x 1.25 thread pitch, I think . . . I know it's definitely an 8mm diameter bolt (12mm head)

thx i gotta pick some parts up in the morning i'll grab a few bolts quick shot of paint for my skid plate and on it goes......i think im gonna black my grill out too im not a huge fan of the chrome

Ether

Love the rigs guys. These are some of the most stout, reliable, go-anywhere rigs in existence in my opinion. Ive seen so many ideas on here to better my rig, hopefully i can share a couple as well.

When i bought it last winter:
Photo-0169.jpg

After Sliders, Tube Doors, and Lightbar
06172011047.jpg
06172011055.jpg

Wheeling!

wheeling1.jpg
snowwheeling.jpg

Im in the process of starting a build thread over here, im working on trying to copy everything over from yotatech.

Keep them coming!

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Nothing special here, yet, except an amazing camping rig.
89' v6 140k. 1.5BJ spacers, larger torsion bars and zuk mod for now
Camping in Joshua tree

fusing a Flip-pac to the 4runner begins this weekend.
build thread to come

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk