1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
After many years and miles I was considering selling my '86 4runner and getting a newer one. I have 291,000 miles, (2nd engine at 200k) but after seeing the prices the 3rd gen 4runners are selling for I may just dump a few thousand into mine and keep her for another 290k. I have a few small electrical issues, the A/C could be a bit colder, will need tires soon, seats are worn out, but the body is solid AZ rust free.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

JasonRedwood

Explorer
After many years and miles I was considering selling my '86 4runner and getting a newer one. I have 291,000 miles, (2nd engine at 200k) but after seeing the prices the 3rd gen 4runners are selling for I may just dump a few thousand into mine and keep her for another 290k. I have a few small electrical issues, the A/C could be a bit colder, will need tires soon, seats are worn out, but the body is solid AZ rust free.
Yeah keep it!
I recommend a soft top, they are awesome to have. I bought one from softtopper.com over a year ago and have loved it ever since!

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
Here's mine. Pulled it our of a pasture and got it running with minimal work. When I get some time it will make a fun rig.

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02893-1.jpg

pvgrillmaster

Yotatech'r stopping in.....

I've read several great threads on this site. As well, I've seen quite a few Yotatech Members on here while fishing around myself, lol.... So I thought I'd give it a go, starting with the 'show us your 1st Gen 4Runner' thread, eh? lol. (I'm Chefyota4x4 on Yotatech.com, nice to meet ya all!)

I have almost totally built everything that's been done to this 4Runner. I've had 2 very LONG stretches with 'gremlinitus', due to a TERRIBLE machinists abuse of me :( hahaha..... Yes, I can laugh now.... Anyhow, I wound up rebuilding the original motor that I had rebuilt.... Then I tossed it and started over, fresh/old block/crank, reusing only what I could, safely/effectively for my needs. Currently, I'm working on mounting my 60"x42" Con-Ferr Portal Rack to my Fiberglass Roof, ...and I found the method here, on Expedition Portal, I'd like to use in order to make it secure and solid! THANKS!

So Far, from totally stock, purchased from 2nd Owner, I've added/modded;

* Fully Rebuilt 22RE(Self built)
* LCE 4-1 Header/2.25" Stainless Powder Coated Exhaust to CAT/2.25" to Borla Muffler/2.25" out to 2.50" Tapered Tip
* All new CA Bushings, Mega Travel Downey Upper BJ's/1.5" 4Crawler BJ Spacers/Sankai 555 Lower BJ's/Sway Delete/4Crawler Diff Drop/12"x125# Zuk-Rear
* New OEM; Rotors/Calipers, Hub innards(Bearings, Warn Premium Kit---I know, some day, lol) Auto Locking Hub Delete
* Daikin/Japan HD Clutch, All new kit/Fresh Ground & Balanced Flywheel
* New OEM; TPS, 02, CTS, Thermostatic Temp Switch, Stat, IACV, all new OEM Vacuum Lines + a few from Store(smaller)
* Replaced Gear Box with 60K mi. 2WD Box and New PSteering Pump
* New Aisin 70A Alternator, Water Pump, Oil Pump, Timing Cover, Steel Guide/OSK Timing Kit, Altrom Clutch Master/Slave
* All new OEM Denso A/C seals, Drier, R12 Charged and FRIGID! lol...
* Spare Trail parts; AFM, ECU, TPS, 02, and more
* New 31x15.50x15" BFG AT/KO's on Stock Alloys + Craigslist Found Set of 5 BFG Mud King 32x11.50x15's on Outlaw 2's
* Replaced Rear Bumper
* Installed Downey BrushGuard/Lightbar and 2- 8" ******** Cepek Halogen 150W lights(Also did a nice Wiring Job with Relay/switch)
* Currently getting ready to install Con-Ferr 60"x42" Basket w/2 4x6" KC's in front and rear// Aux Waterproof Outlets for Bumper & Back seats
* Hi-Lift, stripped and repainted/lubed...
* OME Stabilizer and front Shocks

Here she is, from Purchase to now;

Fairly new(to me, 100K) and untouched

June7thTruck2044.jpg

RubyRed104.jpg

On from there;........

024-2.jpg

004.jpg

O2HookupandExhaust003.jpg

002-12.jpg

With spare shoes on;

004-12.jpg

Con-Ferr(just brought it home that day, going to mount it on rear, as said);

001-14.jpg

Having some fun in the Sierras and Havasu.;

036.jpg

160.jpg

109.jpg

044.jpg

104-Copy-1.jpg

003-4.jpg

p_00110.jpg

p_00111.jpg

Sorry if I messed up on 'rules' and such....... I just slapped this together as quickly as possible in my spare time this afternoon....

Happy and Safe Wheeling, everyone!

Last edited:

pvgrillmaster

Sup Jason?

you ran under the name Yotachef over at yotech,right? I think i am jred151 over there. Love the detail you pay towards your 4runner! sooooo clean.

I started a build thread that will be a slow pace if anyone wants to comment or suggest on things over there.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73422-1st-Gen-4runner-Flip-pac

I think I posted in that LONG post.... Actually, the ID on Yotatech is "ChefYota4x4"...... Still there, still going at it! hahaha.

Good to hear from ya....... let me know if you start a thread on Yotatech, too, k?

86Runner

I just posted in the show me your Toyota 4Runner, truck, etc, thread, but I'll get this thread going again, too: :drool:

My 1986 4Runner SR5, 5 speed, 22re, 4x4. All power options, etc, etc.

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

86Runner

Nice 4runner!
Whats the name of the Hot Springs?

Thanks! It is the Saline Warm Springs (commonly referred to as Lower Springs) in Saline Valley in Death Valley National Park. There is also Palm Hot Springs just up the wash from here and another more undeveloped one further up the wash still.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk