1x1_Speed_Craig's utility/camping trailer build_v2.0

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Don't forget there will/may be a load in the trailer and it may sink an inch or two...maybe put you where you need to be.

Beautiful welds...box looks awesome

Wanna move to NY?..lol :ylsmoke:

Keep the progress coming!

Pat

Last edited:

jeep4x4greg

Observer
Very nice job!

how did you do the bends on the piece that connects the receiver tube to the trailer frame rails? Notch and bend? or do you have access to a very nice bending brake? looks like 3/16"

1x1_Speed_Craig

Don't forget there will/may be a load in the trailer and it may sink an inch or two...maybe put you where you need to be.

Beautiful welds...bow looks awesome

Wanna move to NY?..lol :ylsmoke:

Keep the progress coming!

Pat

Thanks Pat.

how did you do the bends on the piece that connects the receiver tube to the trailer frame rails? Notch and bend? or do you have access to a very nice bending brake? looks like 3/16"

It's 3/16" plate. It's actually built by a fabricator for Adventure Trailers. They sell them for $50...well worth it, IMO. It saved me a considerable amount of time scratch-building one, and the design worked out very nicely.

Craig

Casper

Adventurer
Nice work Craig. I hope my welding skills get to your level. I just started teaching myself.

Anyway, can't wait to see the finish product.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

1x1_Speed_Craig

Thanks Josh.

UPDATE: No updated pics, but I did get the tongue removed from the trailer, and got the round tube mount for the jack welded on. I also did a little more grinding, and started wire-wheeling the paint off the tongue in preparation for cleaning & painting with POR-15. Hopefully, I can get it painted and re-mounted on the trailer in the next week or so. Progress - slow, but sure...

Craig

Flyn G

Observer
I own an LJ also and I was wondering if you have had the opportunity to pull the M101 with yours yet?

Would you look for a M101A2 now to get the straight axle?

I keep thinking the M116A2 chassis would make a great teardrop base.

Thanks,
Flyn G

1x1_Speed_Craig

I own an LJ also and I was wondering if you have had the opportunity to pull the M101 with yours yet?

Would you look for a M101A2 now to get the straight axle?

I keep thinking the M116A2 chassis would make a great teardrop base.

Thanks,
Flyn G

Hey Flyn,

I pulled the trailer back from Kentucky to Michigan when I bought it, but I haven't pulled it yet with the new set-up. I still have to finish-weld the spring perches, and make some lower shock mounts.

I had a pick of several A2s and A3s when I bought this. The axle was going to be replaced regardless, as I wanted a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern (to run my Ravine wheels), and to shed some weight. I spent about 45+ minutes picking what looked to be the best trailer. I could have easily gone either way...A2 or A3.

Titanpat59 has a nice build thread going on ih8mud.com (just browed it the other day). He's building an enclosed trailer using a M116A2 trailer frame, IIRC.

Craig

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Speaking of Titanpat59...

Where the heck is the progress here?

I hope you been vacationing somewhere up on the UP...something relaxing, with no pressure, and hopefully sitting at a fire ring with a cold one!:ylsmoke:

Take care, Pat

1x1_Speed_Craig

Speaking of Titanpat59...

Where the heck is the progress here?

I hope you been vacationing somewhere up on the UP...something relaxing, with no pressure, and hopefully sitting at a fire ring with a cold one!:ylsmoke:

Take care, Pat

:coffeedrink:

No vacationing, but I have been working on the trailer. I got a safety chain "loop" welded on, and reused the stock safety chains & hooks.

I'm about 2 days from posting pics of the re-worked tongue, which I have spent about a week plus wire-wheeling, sanding & painting. I didn't just "spray bomb" it...I used POR-15, then POR-15 self-etching primer. It'll be top-coated within the next couple days with Krylon semi-flat black.

It's coming along, slow but sure.

Craig

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Looks great!

Well worth the time invested!

I have to say how amazed I was at the detail involved with the casted bracket that connects the rear of the tongue assembly to the frame..looks bombproof!

Pat

Bella PSD

Explorer
Craig,

Question for you. How did you get the 12V lights to work in the military tail light housing. I rewired the plug on my M101a3 from under the access plate and the 12V bulb will not even light up. The military bulb lights up dim. Did you get some kind of special 12V bulb?

I had a pioneer tool trailer and had no problem using the military tail light housing with 12V bulbs. So no clue whats going on this time.

Thanks
Louie

1x1_Speed_Craig

Question for you. How did you get the 12V lights to work in the military tail light housing. I rewired the plug on my M101a3 from under the access plate and the 12V bulb will not even light up. The military bulb lights up dim. Did you get some kind of special 12V bulb?

Hi Louie,

I didn't do anything special...just took the original 24V bulbs to Napa, and asked for 12V equivalents. It was just a matter of plugging them in, so I'm not sure what you're running into. Are you certain your rewire was done correctly (may be a stupid question, but...).

Craig

Bella PSD

Explorer
Yep, the wiring is right. Plus the 24V light bulbs light up (just dim) when hooked up to a four pin 12V plug. Everything works with the 24V lights, brake, turn and parking(just dim). When I replace the 24V for a 12V I get nothing! Did your tail lights have a circuit board and LED's for the black out lights?

What cover do you have? I have two, one with a water pouch to (guessing here) weight down the front corners with water to keep the cover from blowing around. The other cover I have does not have this.

Thanks
Louie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal