1x1_Speed_Craig's utility/camping trailer build_v2.0

1x1_Speed_Craig

Here's the other project...my 2005 Jeep LJ. It's the only new vehicle I have ever bought (I'm 40). Upgrades underway are an AEV Highline kit, Dana 60/Dana 70U axles, H2 wheels with 37" BFG KM2s, Currie Anti-Rock sway bars, AEV skid plates, etc. I'll be working on this one for a while...it all boils down to time & money. I'm sure that very few of you can relate to that. (note sarcasm :D).

Enjoy the pics...

Craig

Attachments

• h2_wheel_machining.jpg
    h2_wheel_machining.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 116
  • lj_flex_on_hugh.jpg
    lj_flex_on_hugh.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6204.JPG
    IMG_6204.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 98
  • dana70u_8.jpg
    dana70u_8.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 106
  • d70u_plus_hardcore.jpg
    d70u_plus_hardcore.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 85

1x1_Speed_Craig

Small progress this weekend...

I made some stake pocket mounts for some bicycle carriers I've had for 12+ years. The carriers are designed to carry either a single or tandem bicycle. For the stake pocket mounts, I started with 2" x 2" x 1/8" square tube, then trimmed them down to 2" x 1 3/8" C-channel to fit in the stake pockets, and welded a piece of 3/16" plate to the top. I drilled/tapped a couple holes in the side to bolt them to the trailer. It's simple, quick to remove, and functional.

I'll be building a matching one for the other side, then will paint them both.

Craig

Attachments

• stake_pocket_bike_mount_2.jpg
    stake_pocket_bike_mount_2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 123
  • stake_pocket_bike_mount_1.jpg
    stake_pocket_bike_mount_1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 105
Trailer build

I'm starting a project like this one myself. Just ordered that receiver tube braket the other day and removed the surge brake this afternoon. Do you still have the trailer? Just wounder how straight it tows now. I'm trying to decide the best way to insure the mount is straight.

Well Look forward to hearing from you.

Robert Walker

1x1_Speed_Craig

I'm starting a project like this one myself. Just ordered that receiver tube braket the other day and removed the surge brake this afternoon. Do you still have the trailer? Just wounder how straight it tows now. I'm trying to decide the best way to insure the mount is straight.

Well Look forward to hearing from you.

Robert Walker

Hi Robert,

I do still have the trailer (and use it regularly). It has mainly been used for basic "utility" and Jeep parts transport more so than camping. It does pull very well/straight. To get the tongue straight, I measured/marked the center point on the front of the bed, and used a long straight edge to extend out over the new tongue/coupler set-up to ensure it was straight.

Good luck with your project!

Craig

Did you have any trouble getting the tongue back on after you painted it? My trailer did not have the bolts that secure the tongue with the rest of the frame. When I put the new bolts I bought in the two pieces did not want to line up very well. I thought I was going to have to put the brake back on to get them to line up, but a little help from the ball pen hammer drove the new bolts in. I am a little worried that after I cut and weld everything to put the AT bracket on it will be even more difficult.

Robert

1x1_Speed_Craig

Did you have any trouble getting the tongue back on after you painted it? My trailer did not have the bolts that secure the tongue with the rest of the frame. When I put the new bolts I bought in the two pieces did not want to line up very well. I thought I was going to have to put the brake back on to get them to line up, but a little help from the ball pen hammer drove the new bolts in. I am a little worried that after I cut and weld everything to put the AT bracket on it will be even more difficult.

Robert

It was a bit of a tight fit for the front two (2) bolts. I left all bolts lose, tapped them in, then tightened them all down. All of these trailers I've seen seem to be tweaked just a bit in regards to alignment. I'm sure they were well-used during their active-duty lifespans.

Craig

I started a new thread with my trailer. I have the bracket mounted now and it seems like it came out pretty good. I still need to do some trimming and gridding but it has rain the last two days so my progress has been slow.

Here is the new thread if you want to check it out.

M101 3/4 Ton Expedition Trailer Build

1x1_Speed_Craig

I have decided to sell this trailer, as I sold my Jeep about a year ago, and need a smaller/lighter trailer to pull behind my Honda. I haven't figured out a price yet, but am interested in cash offers or potentially trades (a rust-free Jeep Cherokee project for my daughter, a good-running motorcycle (base for a bobber/rat rod project), or ??? I'll officially list it for sale after determining an asking price.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested in the trailer. It's located just north of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Thanks,
Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig

Now listed on Craigslist for sale or trade. Located in Cedar Springs, Michigan (49319), but pick-up in Grand Rapids, Michigan is also an option.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bar/4138378680.html

227927_2010733837900_5439635_n.jpg

268727_2177928297657_2308785_n.jpg

206262_1908272276425_3667712_n.jpg

563011_10202251666162985_115384113_n.jpg

Juanblzer

Observer
I had a great day today, and got a lot done on the trailer. I got the new 3500-lb. trailer axle installed, and started on the receiver tongue bracket set-up.

For the axle install, I used the original square U-bolts that straddle the leaf springs. This required a couple sets of spring perches. The only things left to do are making some lower shock mounts (the original mounts were welded to the spring plates, which are actually welded to the A3 axle). I also have to get some bump stops, as I had to remove and cut down/section the original mounts because the U-bolts are now closer together than the original ones. See detail pic below, and you can see the brackets on top of the springs. The trailer now has the same wheels & tires as my Jeep LJ. The axle width worked out very nicely (62" axle width with 2" wheel spacers, for a total width of 66"). The tires are just about even with the fenderwell openings now.

I also ended up picking up an Adventure Trailers tongue bracket rather than scratch-building one. I had to trim about 1/2" off each side in the back, and a couple inches off the tongue of the trailer for it to work (very straightforward). I still have to trim the top plate to match the angle of the A-frame tongue. I also have to decide if I'm going to go with the stock tongue length (which gives a 100.3" receiver-to-spindle length), of if I'll keep the extra length with the 18" receiver, which would add about 4" to this length.

So, it's coming along nicely, and it won't be long before I'll have it ready to roll.

Craig
did you get the tongue bracket off of a website?
do you have a part number for your axle?

1x1_Speed_Craig

I ordered the bare tongue bracket directly from adventuretrailers.com. I can't recall the part number for the axle...it's been many years, and I sold the trailer 4+ years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal