1x1_Speed_Craig's utility/camping trailer build_v2.0

1x1_Speed_Craig

I got one of the new lower shock mounts done today. It's 2" x 3" tubing with 3/16" plate, and uses the original lower shock stud, which is a bigger diameter than all the aftermarket ones I have found (e.g. - Chevy style).

I have the 2nd shock mount about 70% done. The most difficult work left will be removing the shock stud from the military axle (cutting & grinding).

Craig

Attachments

• lower_shock_mount_1.jpg
    lower_shock_mount_1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 84

1x1_Speed_Craig

All finish welding on the axle is complete, and it's painted and ready for reinstall. I just have to paint the U-bolts & a couple misc. parts tomorrow, and it should be ready to license within the next week. Woot!

Craig

Attachments

• finished_trailer_axle.jpg
    finished_trailer_axle.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 205

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Exceptional...:victory:

(Not that I expected anything different)

Looks great...I love "Attention to details"...only way to fly IMO

1x1_Speed_Craig

Exceptional...:victory:

Thanks Pat!

I wrapped up things today, and took the trailer on its maiden voyage. It pulled very nicely, and like others have mentioned, the Max Coupler was SUPER quiet. The wiring is still temporary; after I get the AT tongue box mounted, I'll be mounting a junction box on the under side of it. Here's a photo of it after I got back home. I'm loving the trailer, and can't wait to start using it.

It'll still get a serious of practical upgrades, but all in time.

I'm off to get it weighed tomorrow, and licensed later this week.

Craig

Attachments

• first_test_drive.jpg
    first_test_drive.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 17,126
  • completed_axle.jpg
    completed_axle.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 449

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Congratz Craig...looks A W E S O M E behind the Jeep, man, nothing better than matching rims:smiley_drive:....axle came out great also!

I'm curious to see whatyou come in at the scales. I know I was blown away. For some reason there was a pretty good difference from what the tag said "empty" vs. the actual.

This was the first time I used one of those junction boxes with all the right colored terminals and lugs...what a dream to hook up.

Good Luck,

Pat

1x1_Speed_Craig

I'm curious to see whatyou come in at the scales. I know I was blown away. For some reason there was a pretty good difference from what the tag said "empty" vs. the actual.

What did yours end up weighing then? I still have the bows/cover on. I'm curious how much those add, as well.

Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig

How much wider is the trailer than the jeep? This is an awesome build congrads!

Thanks! IIRC, it's 73" wide, outside of tire to outside of tire. That's about 4" wider than my Jeep, or 2" per side. Not bad, IMO.

The tag said 700#.....but I think it more like 900-1000#...and that was after I was stripped down to just the deck.

Wow! I'll let you know. I towed it with me into work today, and am going to get it weighed at lunch.

Craig

StanBo

Thanks for the information. I am searching for a solid base to build my own offroad trailer. I seem to come across more M101s then M416s. It helps knowing that the 101 is not super wide. I would be towing this behind my Cherokee or a Toyota Tacoma.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Thanks for the information. I am searching for a solid base to build my own offroad trailer. I seem to come across more M101s then M416s. It helps knowing that the 101 is not super wide. I would be towing this behind my Cherokee or a Toyota Tacoma.

I had an M416 previously, and for my purposes (*DISLAIMER, disclaimer), the M416 was just too small. I also found myself a little annoyed at not having a tailgate, how squirrely it was to back up (the M101A3 is much better), etc.

Obviously, the M101 is much bigger/heavier, but since I don't own a pick-up truck, it's welcomed for my household.

Off to get it weighed now...update to come.

Craig

nat

Adventurer

I had the exact same concerns as you. I thought the M101 series would be much too big and I was focused on findiing a M416. It was when I was talking to my wife that I realized the 416 is too small for us. She was asking how we would get dirt bikes and camping gear into it :Wow1:

The M101 series just has more usable room, so I bought a M101A2. It looks very good behind my Toyota FJ55 Landcruiser. The trailer width is basically the same as my tire outside tire width and my mirrors stick out a little farther. If I can get my righ through, so will the trailer :)

Andy G

Adventurer
Does your Jeep have any issues towing that thing?

I've been considering the same beast for our 2010 JK 4-door (can tow 3500#) but was hoping for something a bit lighter.

Thanks!

1x1_Speed_Craig

Does your Jeep have any issues towing that thing?

I've been considering the same beast for our 2010 JK 4-door (can tow 3500#) but was hoping for something a bit lighter.

Thanks!

My LJ does OK with it. It weighs ~600 lbs. more than my old M416, but the added utility more than outweighs the trade-off with the extra weight. I like it 100% better than the M416 (for my purposes).

I will also say that you can notice a lot of wind drag when the sides/canopy are on it. With an open trailer, it pulls much nicer, as you'd expect (since the covered trailer has the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick).

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal