2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Crazy you make me want to get down to your area and go wheeling. I want steak and lobster too!:cool:

Chilli,

You come to Vegas to go wheeling I'll get you the 7oz lobster tail, lol. It was a really good highschool friend that I have not seen for almost a decade and we had to celebrate properly with one of the most difficult trails in Death Valley followed with the best meal we could have in Death Valley. I didn't take any pictures but we has some Ben and Jerry's ice cream too after dinner. It was very nice in 103 degree heat.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
So now that you have had a couple months since doing the coilover swap how have you liked it? What are the main advantages to the coil over versus the previous set up you had? Sorry im sure these answers are obvious to most of you but im pretty new to all of this!

I had been looking around the web for anyone who had done something like this since I have a 2003 tahoe that I have been wanting to do the same type of trips as you are with probably even less pushing the limits. It seems all I read was that it can't and shouldn't be done because everything will explode and catch fire without serious upgrading so this is extremely refreshing to see! Im inspired to make my Hoe a MORE capable trail crawler and get out there and see what the world has to offer.

Bigred805,

First of all noting caught fire or exploded since doing the coilover swap. Do it. Absolutely no noticeable difference on the highway but off road the ride is butter smooth especially with 37s 8" of usable sidewall and 7-8" of the coilover suspension travel.

DO IT, DO IT, YOU WILL HAVE ZERO REGRETS.

I have had them on since mid October even though I did the write-up way later. 15-20k miles so far total and over 5,000 miles of off road, hell I just got back from a 560mile dirt adventure crisscrossing Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument. I have beat the set-up way harder than any other person in this forum off road and they held up great. Until the last Death valley trip with the QA1 DS401 shock itself had a catastrophic failure and busted requiring emergency trail-side repairs and a 234mile drive back home, I'll do a write-up on that later this week. But I did do a nasty whoop section at 80mph that a couple 450cc enduros could not keep up with me until I broke.

Realistially for your Hoe, do it. It will be a bulletproof setup with minimal trimming of the bump stop. If you decide to do the 2-3" coil spacer and 5100 Bilstein shocks in the rear, you will be able to run 33" tires with no rubbing, 35's with some front fender trimming. On road driving will be improved due to the compression and rebound dampening adjustment of the QA1s or Viking C206 shocks. I would also get 1,000lb springs for mild off road and 1,200lb springs form blasting through the trails pretending yo are a trophy truck.

Also, if you get the parts and come to Vegas I'll help you put them in.

bigred805

80 MPH through the whoops in the burb! Your'e a mad man and I love it haha! I like the idea of 35's on the hoe but im not so sure how confident I would feel about cutting the fenders myself. Do you think they would clear without trimming if I had the 5100's with springs,spacers and ford keys combined with a body lift? As cool as the coil overs are at this point I would much rather spend the money like you had originally and find some tires and do whats necessary to make em fit!

My brain imagines riding on the much larger size tires even though heavier must give the truck a much better roll over capability and as long as you aren't out trying to be a trophy truck it seems like the trucks handle them just fine. That being said I have very little off road experience and I cant help but wonder how much of an advantage there really is to be gained between say a 33inch tire to a 35 inch tire in these type of desert situations.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Bigred805,

Larger tires on the Hoe, Burb and Avi do not make that much noticeable difference in body roll. When I did ford keys, 3" coil spacers, bilstein 5100s, as well as I think 40 or 45mm offset rims with 1.25" rear wheel spacers the truck skidded out with the 37s in the dirt and on pavement before it had enough grip to roll over.

You can fit 35s in the rear with coils and bilsteins 5100s. To put 35s in the front with ford keys and bilstein 5100s, you will have to do some minor trimming, it's quick and easy. all you will need is a 3" cut off wheel and a 5lb sledge. If you really do not want to cut at all, look into a 2" body lift, that would let you clear 35s. 3" body lift puts too much tension on the main wire harness, brake lines and many other wires that need to be re-routed or lengthened.

Video below shows the actual cutting portion. The only part that you will need to cut will be starting at 02:45 and ending at 03:45, the rest is trim work that can be done with a heat gun and a couple self tapping screws.

I know the video is for 07-13 truck but the cuts and fold are identical.

Advantage between 33s and 35s is night and day, the larger diameter creates less rolling resistance so you will go over bigger rocks smoother and faster, 1" extra ground clearance, much greater footprint which means more traction.

I would do the Ford key lift with coils and shocks, get a set of 35s already mounted on rims on craigslist and figure out ow to make them fit starting with the drivers side. (passenger side has A lines running to the back and will require more careful cutting and massaging (hammering))

Show us your ride and keep us posted with the progress. There are members here that have trouble shot just about every aspect of these trucks an you have unlimited support.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Coilover Carnage!

PRESS Ctrl F5 to reload the page if the images do not load the first time around.

I run the truck every week for at least 100miles off road on all types of terrains. The weather in Death Valley has been formidable and I have taken full advantage of it by exploring trails that are difficult to access or are very infrequently visited. This has put a lot of wear and tear on the truck especially since I make day trips of 500mi + adventures most others would break up into 2 or 3 days.

This time around I had a catastrophic failure of the QA1 shock itself, I have emailed QA1 two weeks ago when this happened and no response so far, looks like I will be moving away from them due to non existent customer service. The shock itself sheared as I was cruising down the Saline Valley Rd in Death Valley, I heard a loud pop and the front left of the truck dropped and sounded like a flat tire.

aCXicfu.jpg

This is what I saw after jacking up the truck and removing the wheel that was entirely in the wheel well.

gtlMgM5.jpg

Drivers side front sway bar link was also missing. I lost it a couple months ago and did a quick trail-side fix which lasted over 2,000miles, but this time there were no parts left to fix the sway bar.

G71LqQ9.jpg

Jounce bump stop took a little impact and completely folded itself up to the upper control arm mount which tells me that this design is not appropriate as a bump stop. Straightening it out, reinforcing and re-welding the bump stop might be done later this summer.

UZYaRlb.jpg

I walked back up the trail approximately 200 yards and found the coil spring that shot out after the shock sheared. Top perch was also laying in the area another 50 yards up the trail.

helqmsA.jpg

Its 103F degrees outside and I am 45 miles from the nearest pavement and cell phone service, no one in range of my CB, and the 5watt HAM is not strong enough to get a signal out to the Park Service repeater 30 miles away to call for help. With kids in the truck it was time to do some fun trail-side repairs to be able to limp the truck back to pavement. I put the coil back on the shock, drove the lower perch up as high as I could until the coil was jammed in the upper bracket and lowered the truck onto the temporary setup.

3BEWSKk.jpg

37" tire came off and went up on to the roof rack, one of the 35" donuts was put on the front drivers side. Bump stops and the 3" body lift kept the truck high enough to clear the inner fender but driving 45 miles on an unformidable Saline Valley Rd was not an option.

xEf89VX.jpg

This is the passenger side view of the truck with the 35" spare.

AjqLujd.jpg

Many arm chair philosophers from the early days of this build told me that the difference between 37s and 35s is minimal and would not be felt and is futile in my application, so this is what real world difference between 35s and 37s looks like.

QKrIagp.jpg

I limped the last 45 miles of dirt at 20-30mph to the pavement, the same trail I usually run 50-60mph. Total of 234 miles home from the spot of the busted shock. We made it home but can only imagine what the vehicles passing us were thinking when they saw the lobsided truck.

MdGoCgu.jpg

I have several more QA1 shocks laying around that I bough when they were dirt cheap on eBay, 20 minutes later the new shock was in and my coilover setup was as good as new, also picked up new sway bar links and replaced both of the front ones.

I have done two more trips since the incident and noticed that the upper bracket became loose from bending the inside of the truck frame from the emergency repair to get home. So this weeks project will be to take the coilover out, remove the top bracket, grind and sand the bracket and the frame and weld the bracket on so there is no more play.

PGW

Observer
Damn! Glad you made it home safely with that. Have you checked for coil bind throughout the coilover's travel? If the spring compresses all the way and bottoms out the coilover will explode like that.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow that is crazy Mr Crazy! Nothing like a bit of carnage to give you a shock... Glad you made it home ok. Have you heard of anyone else with these kind of problems with your set-up? Looking forward to seeing you back on the trail. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Damn! Glad you made it home safely with that. Have you checked for coil bind throughout the coilover's travel? If the spring compresses all the way and bottoms out the coilover will explode like that.

PGW,

I think you nailed it, coil bind over and over again from bottoming the truck out caused this. I toned my driving down a bit since, decided to stay under 55mph on trails. I really like the coilover setup however might have to tinker with it some more in the near future.

I am thinking about making new top shock brackets that are 2-4" higher than the factory top mounts but not quite as high as JD Fabrication brackets. That would also require new clevis type tie rods which I can also make out of some DOM tubing. Still not sure which direction I want to go with the truck.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Wow that is crazy Mr Crazy! Nothing like a bit of carnage to give you a shock... Glad you made it home ok. Have you heard of anyone else with these kind of problems with your set-up? Looking forward to seeing you back on the trail. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

Chilli,

Yeah, it was a little scary but the looks a group of enduro riders had on their face when I asked them if they had any spare coil over shocks was funny.

I have not heard of anyone destroying AFP coilovers like that on a GMT800 truck. But I also drive my Sub a little harder than most. I know that the tranny and the 10-bolt and IFS is weak so I drive it conservative in that respect avoiding burn outs and hard launches and non staright line 4x4low, however everything else like the suspension is fair game.

Everyone told me that 37s can not be run on this truck but I proved them wrong again and again at a minor expense of a couple broken parts here and there that I get fixed or replaced in a day or two. Nothing that I was unable to fix on the trail yet.

I am writing up a plan for the next phase of the build which will not be low budget and I will do a write up on that soon.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well the test it and fix it method has worked well for you my friend. I am glad to see you have a positive additude to geting out there and pushing your rig. I always enjoy your adventures and write ups. I follow your thread because I find it informative and a bunch of laughs sometimes. Keep up the Shenanigans. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Chilli,

Yeah, it was a little scary but the looks a group of enduro riders had on their face when I asked them if they had any spare coil over shocks was funny.

I have not heard of anyone destroying AFP coilovers like that on a GMT800 truck. But I also drive my Sub a little harder than most. I know that the tranny and the 10-bolt and IFS is weak so I drive it conservative in that respect avoiding burn outs and hard launches and non staright line 4x4low, however everything else like the suspension is fair game.

Everyone told me that 37s can not be run on this truck but I proved them wrong again and again at a minor expense of a couple broken parts here and there that I get fixed or replaced in a day or two. Nothing that I was unable to fix on the trail yet.

I am writing up a plan for the next phase of the build which will not be low budget and I will do a write up on that soon.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

1 tons long travel suspension and a procharger right!!!!! did i guess it right

autism family travels

Drei, Looks like your tearin' it up. I was one of the nay sayers in the beginning...but I love the fact you proved us wrong! I love your rig. Think those coil overs will handle just general use with 285s etc?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
1 tons long travel suspension and a procharger right!!!!! did i guess it right

Smileyshaun,

You are pretty close: more travel and more power. In no particular order as I manage to find the parts cheap or find the time to do the work this is my goal for the next two years:

GMT900 front brake upgrade $250
Mid-travel upgrade with UCAs, taller upper coilover brackets and clevis type tie-rods $1,000
Battery relocation to auxiliary battery location $50
Adjustable panhard bar and rear lower control arms $500
Trim the crap out of the fenders to accommodate bigger tires
Replace hard rear AC lines with soft lines and re-route rear heater core hoses $400
40" tires $1,000
4.88 gears $300
Detroit rear locker $700

Big ticket items as they break:
9.25 IFS front diff $200
NV4500 manual transmission $2,000
218/224 cam with hydraulic rollers, stronger pushrods and valve springs $300
HP tuner for manual tranny and new cam $650
Possibly Dana 60 rear axle with Quadrasteer setup $1,500

If you add up all the parts listed above I'll be looking at just under 10k when everything is said and done which I do not have. So my plan is to find a 6.0 Sierra or Silvedrado that has an NV4500 manual tranny, pull everything I need from the truck and transplant it back into the Sub. Sell the 6.0, 4L60 and part out the rest of the truck to make the transmission swap cost only the new rear drive shaft. My working budget for above projects not including Quadrasteer which would be cool but might be too problematic to even bother with will be $3,000.

This summer my priority remains to drive the truck and adventure as much as possible, as parts wear our and break, replace them.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Drei, Looks like your tearin' it up. I was one of the nay sayers in the beginning...but I love the fact you proved us wrong! I love your rig. Think those coil overs will handle just general use with 285s etc?

burbinkojack,

Thank you for following the build and the adventures, I didn't think I was going to be able to get this far and have this many adventures just like most others in the early days of the build but once again thank you and everyone one else that followed my adventures just to see what happens.

As far as the coil overs, Atomic Fab makes a killer product that is factory quality and will have absolutely no issues with handling general use. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a higher performance ride off road. I wish I would have known about this coilover swap five years ago when I bought the Sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3