2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
30 Hours later and I am still waiting on the mount. They say later today or tomorrow maybe... Jeez I wish I had a cutting torch so I didn't have to wait. This is frustrating... my only two days off and it has been a waiting game the whole time.

That is really annoying. How hard could that possibly be?

Allof75

Pathfinder
Good progress my friend, again sorry to hear about the door. I'm repairing some damage to my pathy atm and it isn't fun. Best of luck.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
OHMAGERRRD It is CLOSE!!!

Sooo did some stuff, :wings:
`
IMG_0129 (1).jpg
Passenger side mount
`
IMG_0130 (1).jpg
This driver side was a pain... here's why
`
IMG_0131 (1).jpg
So there is this reservoir which cause the L shaped part to be quite skinny as you can see from the whole mount picture. I will weld on flat straps to strengthen the plate but this will have to do for now.
`
IMG_0132 (1).jpg
Second was where this tube comes out, the notch has to be made to dodge the metal piece coming out in order to fit the mount snug against the body.
`
IMG_0133 (1).jpg
This notch has to be made on both sides. I was busy working with the other mount and asked my dad if he could grind out the curve. He said what is it supposed to look like? Welllll I told him to make is like a low mountain.
Silly me! I live in the Rockies! A low mountain always has at least one peak and an accompanying hill. There is no such thing as a single low curve mountain around here. So he made this cut, epic. Anyways...
`
IMG_0140 (1).jpg
This is just showing the bolts holding it on (drivers side). You can see how that reservoir makes the curve very skinny, that will be addressed shortly.
`
IMG_0141 (1).jpg
This shows the gap from the body to bumper. It is slightly less on the drivers side but I'm an armature so Ill deal with it by ignoring it.
`
IMG_0142 (1).jpg
So here was the fun part, The frame plates are not the same, there is just over 1/2 inch difference. Had I used 3/8" plate I would have been able to squeeze the mounts to the bumper and been alright but since I did not
I had to make these spacers. Think about how the NX4 spacers are thick metal with a small hole (think big washer with a small center hole diameter), that is what these are. Granted, its not perfect but I am not worried.
The bolts have a stupid high shear strength and If I am doing a snatch type recovery Ill simply use the drivers side.
`
IMG_0143 (1).jpg
Here you can see the final result as of right now. The gap between headlights and bumper is different but it is incredibly hard to line those up if they are not made together. If I feel I want stronger mounts I will bring them
back and have them done in 3/8" at the same time so they are exact but that would only be if these are insufficient.
`
So that is what I have, I will work on getting the ends of the bumper extended and then going back to do the skid plate after National Guard stuff is done. I will probably go to an actual 4wd shop here (TNT Customs) to have
them bend the light hoops once I get paid and then I will figure out how I want to mount the Rigid Industries lights I have. The Clevis mounts that are made for the bumper will be put on once they arrive. As for painting it, that
will only happen once all the final touches are made. It has oil on the mounts right now to prevent oxidation but I can always brown the metal (think older version of how gun barrels are blued) with the bumper still attached.
`
Thank you so much guys for all the encouragement along the way. I am happy to be fully armored. I am probably going to buy a Subaru of some sort and use the pathfinder as exploring vehicle but it is still netting 17.9-19.0 MPG
city and up to 23/24 on the highway so very much daily drivable, but a forester will help out in the long run with the new job and commute.
`
If anyone wants exact measurements of anything let me know. Cheers!:friday:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
It's come a long way brother. lookin' good. I'm kinda jealous.
so.........what tires you going with?
Thanks man! But dont be jealous. I was talking grabber AT2's earlier and based on wreckdiver's review on them. Im set. General Grabber AT2 235/85r16 flavor

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Looks good! Nicely done...may be look into getting a hawse fairlead for a cleaner look.

Yes I will, just haven't decided on which one I want. Roller fairleads get stuck on side pulls a lot anyways so there is no need for a big fat chunk of metal for no reason.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Yes I will, just haven't decided on which one I want. Roller fairleads get stuck on side pulls a lot anyways so there is no need for a big fat chunk of metal for no reason.

Well I am doubling back on my previous statement. The new fairlead makes it impossible for a side pull to make the line stick or get squeezed in between rollers like it used to. The plus side with a roller would be mounting a license plate to it and then the winch hook isolators that can be purchased. The hawse look would be nice but if I would go that route I would end up spooling synth line anyways to keep everything together. I hope the rollers on the fairlead will not pop off of the mounts like they can. I don't see myself doing a lot of side pulls but you never know.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
So I purchased the clevis mounts for this bumper, I will paint the hooks red to make them easier to see. I also will be purchasing the light hoop that comes for this bumper but ill be extending it upwards. I will have the light hoop done and wont go to finish the headlight hoops for quite a while. The skid is becoming a problematic thing. I can easily bend a flat piece to make it but then have to deal with cutting holes and all that. I was looking at the expanded metal that industrial ladders stair steps are made of. This stuff is very heavy duty but light and has plenty of holes for air flow. Only issue would be finding a way to mount it. The bumper extensions Ill start on sunday. Oh and I ordered a snatch-block. Im digging this new overtime pay at my work.
`
Cheers

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Ehlin Road Getaway

So for a day trip we took a little jaunt out to the snowy range mountains to check out and see how the snow was going. When we were caught in a snow dusting up around 11000 ft we decided to turn around and take another trail.
IMG_0254 (1).jpg.
The road we decided to take is called Ehlin Road. This is a nice back way to get to the Rob Roy Reservoir or to just explore the abandoned mines of the area. We were unable to see any mines as the snow drifts were still very deep further into the trails but it was a good trip regardless.
`
The start of Ehlin Rd takes a good jaunt upwards in elevation running along the side of the many large hills of the area.
IMG_0283 (1).jpg
IMG_0336 (1).jpg
`
The scenery on the way up was pretty normal for Wyoming, rolling prairie grass with a large hill dominating the background. Made for some cool photos if I knew how to properly use this camera. Here's what I got.
IMG_0338 (1).jpg
`
The rest of the road goes through typical mountain trail scenery. The trees are close to the trail, the trail is littered with various rocks. The elevation changes don't seem drastic until you are heading back down but that is half the fun.
IMG_0292 (1).jpg
IMG_0295 (1).jpg
IMG_0301 (1).jpg
IMG_0304 (1).jpg
IMG_0314 (1).jpg
IMG_0335 (1).jpg
`
The trip spanned 4 hours and about 180ish miles. There are a ton of different off shoots to take but we decided to take NF 307 and NF 307A as 307 is Wyoming's area code and that seemed cool.
Elhin road went for about 1.4 miles before a 8ft deep drift prevented further access. Rob Roy was still about 30 miles past that. When turning around and picking a different trail, that's when we decided on NF 307.
An offshoot of NF307 (the first) was a trail leading to Cliff Mine. That would have been a cool sight but about 20 miles into the trail another deep drift blocked passage. The high elevation drifts are normal until late July when everything opens up.
Since this area is quite close to where I live, it is always fun to head out.
`
Cheers
`
P.S. Im still figuring out how to use this camera and I don't have a photo processing program so the effects are just settings on the camera I can use. Once I figure out how to set different aperature and focus and lighting setting depending on the shots Ill probably have some cooler ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy