2004 Jeep Grand WJ build thread

chasespeed

Explorer
Nice WJ. Have you decided which long arm kit yet? How about tire SIZE?

I'm running the Clayton Long Arm on mine, with 265s. Debating on stepping up to a 285(33).

Chase

jwp2121

Observer
Stereo Upgrade

I got tired of having to listen to only the radio and no ability to play music from my phone. I installed a new head unit with AUX input and Bluetooth capability as well as all new speakers. I put new JBL 6x9's in the front doors and kicker 5 1/4" in the back. I have an amp and 10" sub enclosure I plan to eventually install also. For now the new speakers are a huge upgrade and being able to play my Spotify or Pandora is awesome.

Attachments

• jeep head unit.jpg
    jeep head unit.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 43
  • jeep stereo install.jpg
    jeep stereo install.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 44
  • jeep stock deck.JPG
    jeep stock deck.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 47
  • jeep door panel.jpg
    jeep door panel.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 46
  • jeep 6x9.jpg
    jeep 6x9.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Kicker.jpg
    Kicker.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 39

jpat30

Adventurer
Hey nice jeep there! I drive its twin-03 Laredo I6. I love the WJ platform and think that with mild mods they make a great DD/WW. Keep up the good work.
BFG KO2.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Mark me down as another one who LOVES the WJ! :thumb:
I had an '04 Overland, and still miss it everyday I walk out front and see the neighbors '04 WJ laredo, that he is building.

Your build is looking great! :beer:

Ted_Z

Adventurer
I got tired of having to listen to only the radio and no ability to play music from my phone. I installed a new head unit with AUX input and Bluetooth capability as well as all new speakers. I put new JBL 6x9's in the front doors and kicker 5 1/4" in the back. I have an amp and 10" sub enclosure I plan to eventually install also. For now the new speakers are a huge upgrade and being able to play my Spotify or Pandora is awesome.
Don't forget to bypass the factory amp if you have one. The factory amp cuts the highs to the front door speakers since it was set up for the dash speakers.

jwp2121

Observer
@chasespeed, jpat30, and Comanche Scott. Thanks for the comments.

Chase how do you like the Clayton LA kit? It is really the kit I have been looking at. You have any pics? I'm going with 285/70R17(33's)

jwp2121

Observer
LED interior light conversion.

I replaced all of the interior light bulbs with LED's this weekend. After a couple of outings at night I realized the stock halogen bulbs suck at putting out any usable light and drain the battery pretty fast. I bought a package deal off of Amazon for $24 shipped to my door in two days that provided me with enough bulbs to do the entire jeep and my crew cab truck as well. Install is a breeze with only a small flat head screwdriver needed to remove the lens covers. The LEDS will only work in one direction, so if you put them in and it doesn't come on, just switch the polarity. There was the 5 overhead lights and two that shine down on your feet in front. The LEDS are much brighter and the color of the white is much cleaner. No more dim yellow. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• jeep led.JPG
    jeep led.JPG
    478.6 KB · Views: 44
  • jeep led2.JPG
    jeep led2.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 45
  • jeep led7.JPG
    jeep led7.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 42
  • jeep led5.jpg
    jeep led5.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 41
  • jeep led6.JPG
    jeep led6.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 48
  • jeep led4.JPG
    jeep led4.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 48
  • jeep led3.jpg
    jeep led3.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 44

chasespeed

Explorer
Excellent. Been looking to do that as well. Plus, I want to add some red lighting on a separate switch.

As far as the Clayton. I wouldn't trade it. Ride is excellent. Highway manners are excellent. Lower speed can feel... Squirmy... Probably need to rebuild some joints.
The mounting frame that welds to the bottom... DEFINITELY adds some rigidity to the overall Structure. 100k and doors still open and close with 1 finger's worth of effort.

I have no experience with any other brand... But this set-up, is PURE BEEF. You WILL NOT bend or break any of it.

Chase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwp2121

Observer
@elliottblackwood & Quiero_acampar. I can't find the exact link I used for amazon but if you just search their site for the bulbs you want it will come up with many options. I do know that the manufacturer of the bulbs was "Cutequeen". They are not as high quality as say a Sylvania bulb but they get the job done and I haven't had any issue yet.

chasespeed

Explorer
@chasespeed, jpat30, and Comanche Scott. Thanks for the comments.

Chase how do you like the Clayton LA kit? It is really the kit I have been looking at. You have any pics? I'm going with 285/70R17(33's)

I'm sorry... I didn't even see this....

That is a little bit ago, running the old tires.

Just out new rubber on, and stuck with the 265s. Seemed to be the best choice for now.

Chase

jwp2121

Observer
Anza-Borrego State Park

Did a day trip down to Anza-Borrego state park the other day with a buddy that also has a WJ and had a blast. It's only about an hour drive from my house but makes you feel like your in another state with all the cool scenery. We went south of Ocotillo Wells onto Fish Creek Wash and then into Sandstone Canyon. The canyon was the best part of the trip and is a "must do". Not any updates on the Jeep since the last post except that I blacked out all of the badges front and back.

Attachments

• wj2.jpg
    wj2.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 50
  • wj.jpg
    wj.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 56
  • wj8.jpg
    wj8.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 60
  • wj5.jpg
    wj5.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 51
  • wj6.jpg
    wj6.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 56
  • wj3.jpg
    wj3.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 54

jwp2121

Observer
Sandstone Canyon

Pictures do not do it justice.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 43
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 47

jwp2121

Observer
Ocotillo Wells

Stopped at the Iron Door Bar on our way out for some cold beverages. :beer: Its tradition to staple a dollar bill on the walls before you leave.
Reminds me of a saloon in Oatman Arizona that does the same thing. The sunset of the drive home back through Ocotillo Wells was amazing.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg