2004 Jeep Grand WJ build thread

jwp2121

Observer
NP242 Fluid Change

Did some much needed maintenance on the Jeep the other day. I bought all the fluids needed to change the fluid in the transfer case and also both diffs. The transfer case is a quick 10 minute job but I'm waiting to do the diffs since I am trying to decide which covers I want to go with. I like the Poison Spyder Bombshell cover so far. For fluids, I went with all Royal Purple. Have used many of their products on all my vehicles and really like the brand. I did some cleaning on the 'Ol girl while I was down there too. Before and after pics of the case as well as the old vs new fluid below.

Attachments

• xcase5.jpg
    xcase5.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 39
  • xcase2.jpg
    xcase2.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 42
  • xcase4.jpg
    xcase4.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 35
  • xcase3.jpg
    xcase3.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 37

jwp2121

Observer
New Spark Plugs

I continued to knock out some maintenance items on this thing yesterday and installed new plugs. I ordered NGK plugs from Summit Racing at the same time as the Royal Purple fluids. I removed the four bolts holding the coil rail down and then simply moved it down out of the way of the plugs. There was no reason to unplug the coils and remove them which saved time. I couldn't believe how worn down the old plugs were because the engine was running great. The proper gap for new plugs is .035" and two of them were over .092". :Wow1:

Attachments

• plugs4.jpg
    plugs4.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 37
  • plugs5.jpg
    plugs5.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 34
  • plugs3.jpg
    plugs3.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 37
  • plugs2.jpg
    plugs2.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 30
  • plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 33

jwp2121

Observer
Look what finally came in!

My Method Race Wheels finally arrived after waiting for months. I had originally ordered the MR 105 true bead-lock wheels from my cousin since he could get me $100 off each wheel. Somehow my wheels got lost in a big order and I had to place a new order. While I was waiting on the original bead-locks, I found out Method only makes a 5x5 bolt pattern in a 17x9 with 3.5" BS. They showed a blank 17x8.5 wheel that had 4.5" BS on their website that I wanted but when I called them they said it was not available. I knew the 17x9 wheel was going to be too wide and give me problems with that shallow BS. So....I went with the matte black Double Standards in 17x8.5" with 4.5" BS. I was bummed that I wasn't going to have real bead-locks but I am not about to spend full price on another brand. For tires, I ended up going with Toyo's new Open Country AT-2 in 285/70R17. I love the look of the Toyo RT but the price is still $316 per tire which is crazy. I found the AT-2's for $196 each with warranties. I just got the combo mounted yesterday and took a quick pic before it got dark. It made the Jeep feel like a different vehicle. The stance is perfect and I had to do minor trimming so far. Next on the list of mods is the washer bottle relocation and adjusting the bump stops. :wings:

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 42
  • wheels2.jpg
    wheels2.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 49
  • wheels3.jpg
    wheels3.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 57

jwp2121

Observer
Stage 1 front fender trimming

Well I finished the first stage of trimming on the front wheel wells to make room for the Toyos. I plan to eventually open up the entire fender and bumper but this works for now. I need to start trimming the back before I go any further on the front. I removed almost all of the plastic inner liner except for the top portion. The pinch welded seam was interfering the most when turning so I flattened that out on both sides with a BFH. I then trimmed as little as possible on the gray body moulding to keep it unnoticeable. I cut the fender with a pneumatic die grinder with cutoff wheel after taping off the line. Lastly, I cleaned up all the material with a flapper disc and primed the bare metal. I will be removing the washer bottle in the next few days and then the front will be done for now.

Attachments

• mtn9.jpg
    mtn9.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 55
  • mtn7.jpg
    mtn7.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 56
  • mtn6.jpg
    mtn6.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 57
  • mtn8.jpg
    mtn8.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 57

jwp2121

Observer
Day trip to Mt. Laguna

My oldest boy got out of school early yesterday so I decided to take the two of them up to the mountains to play in some snow. I live in San Diego so it's a big deal when it snows here. I was stuck at work for the first two days after the storm so we didn't have much to work with but they had a blast and I got to test out my trim job for any other clearance issues. :safari-rig: The weather was perfect and we ended up putting almost 100 miles on driving all through Julian and the surrounding backcountry. The front had no issues but the rear definitely needs to be addressed before I do any more wheeling. In the picture below I stopped as soon as I heard rubbing. The tire is hitting the front part of the wheel well and also the bumper. It did tuck up into the fender though so my offset is good. I ordered bumpstops from IRO as well as 8 new coil insulators but have yet to see them. I'm planning on doing the trimming once everything else comes in since it will be apart. More to come.

Attachments

• mtn3.jpg
    mtn3.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 53
  • mtn2.jpg
    mtn2.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 50
  • mtn1.jpg
    mtn1.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 62
  • mtn4.jpg
    mtn4.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 69
  • mtn5.jpg
    mtn5.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 64

jwp2121

Observer
@lecoq So far I really like them. They are even quieter then my old Hankook A/Tm's and they balanced with very little weight. I also really like the fact the they are made in the USA

jwp2121

Observer
Coil Spring Isolator Replacement

Its been a while since I updated this thread. I replaced all the coil isolators with new Moog parts from amazon. I noticed the original parts were in pretty bad shape and one seemed to even be melted somehow. I did the install when I had everything apart to put in the new extended bumpstops I ordered from Iron Rock Offroad. I didn't take measurements but it seems to sit just a bit higher now.

New VS Old rear

Attachments

• coil iso 1.jpg
    coil iso 1.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 37
  • coil iso 4.jpg
    coil iso 4.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 37
  • coil iso 3.jpg
    coil iso 3.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 35
  • coil iso 2.jpg
    coil iso 2.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 36
  • coil iso 5.jpg
    coil iso 5.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 33

jwp2121

Observer
Some more pics of the rear teardown for isolator install and bumps. I went with 3" extended in the rear and 3.5" front extended bumps. Works just perfect at keeping the 33's out of the fenders. I had my professional mechanics help out with the work! :sombrero:

Attachments

• rear iso.jpg
    rear iso.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 38
  • rear iso 2.jpg
    rear iso 2.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 35
  • rear bump.jpg
    rear bump.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 37
  • bumps4.jpg
    bumps4.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 36
  • bumps2.jpg
    bumps2.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 35
  • bumps.jpg
    bumps.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 33
  • bumps3.jpg
    bumps3.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 33
  • front bump.jpg
    front bump.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 34

jwp2121

Observer
Lake Cuyamaca Camping Trip

I took my two boys up to Lake Cuyamaca for some fishing and tent camping back in May. Its about a 45 minute drive from my house which heads through some really scenic parts of San Diego back country and the town of Julian. We had a blast and they cant wait for the next trip. :REOutCampFire03:

Attachments

• lake cuyamaca 2.jpg
    lake cuyamaca 2.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 27
  • lake cuyamaca 3.jpg
    lake cuyamaca 3.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 22
  • lake cuyamaca.jpg
    lake cuyamaca.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 25

jwp2121

Observer
140K Miles. Time for a STROKER?

Well I just hit 140K miles on the WJ the other day. Everything still seems to be working just fine on the old girl but she is making more and more noises every day. :Mechanic: I have started looking into my options for replacing the 4.0 and am leaning towards a Golen 4.6 stroker. It seems to be a well built package and I would love to have an additional 80 HP. Please chime in with your opinion if you have experience with strokers.

I also had some visitors the other morning I found in my front yard when I was leaving for work. Pretty brave birds.

Attachments

• turks.jpg
    turks.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 140K.jpg
    140K.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 24

juicexj24

Observer
I rolled over to 180k early this summer and like all post 100k 4.0's the morning start up noise is there. I helped a buddy put in that 4.6 into his XJ years ago and it was a great choice but the AW4 is far stronger than the WJ transmission for long term use. I also believe they require 93 octane but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
My buddy didn't do his first spark plug change until 170,000 miles on his '04 Laredo. He thought he had done it back at 100K...
Had to get a smog check, and noticed the idle was a bit rougher than it should be. Pulled the plugs and the center electrodes were eroded almost down to the porcelain. lol
The ignition was jumping about an 0.080" gap.
Along with being smoother at idle, he noticed a bit better fuel mileage with the new plugs.
The funny part is, he regularly pulls a heavy trailer behind the Jeep. He's over 240K miles now, and still running strong.
Some people have all the luck. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal