2004 Jeep Grand WJ build thread

jwp2121

Observer
Fixed the engine noise! For now at least.

So I took the WJ into a local shop expecting the worst after trying to locate the source of the horrible noise myself. I sat under the thing while it was running multiple times trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from and could not figure it out. It turns out that the two catalytic converters in the midpipe coming off the exhaust manifold had crumbled into big chunks and they were rattling around causing the noise. I never expected this because the sound went away after a few minutes and it passed smog with flying colors a few weeks before. Anyways, I was quoted $600 for a OE style replacement which made me search the web for something better. I found that Magnaflow makes a stainless midpipe that is a direct replacement and was only $60 bucks more. This cured all the noise and the jeep now sounds noticeably louder at startup. Still a lot of money for something that isn't a mod but at least I'm not having to drop in a new engine!

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 47
  • cats1.jpg
    cats1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 45

jwp2121

Observer
Hi Lift Jack under seat install

I bought a 48" Hi Lift jack that I had planned to keep under the back seat the other day. I did not want the jack mounted to the outside of the Jeep for security reasons. I also like having the rig look clean and simple on the outside. Once I removed the stock jack, the Hi Lift fits like a glove! It's like they made this area just for a 48" Hi Lift. All I had to do was remove the base but even that could be held down with the original bracket. There is also a cutout that the end of the jack slips right into to help keep it secure. Seats latch right back into place without any cutting. :ar15:

Attachments

• hilift3.jpg
    hilift3.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 53
  • hilift2.jpg
    hilift2.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 54
  • hilift.jpg
    hilift.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 57
  • hilift4.jpg
    hilift4.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 56

jwp2121

Observer
Anza Borrego Desert Trip

Went back to Anza Borrego with some guys from work the other day. Went through Fish Creek Wash, Sandstone Canyon and a few other places. Also hiked through a bitchen place called The Slot which is amazing. Nothing new really to report on the Jeep except I scored a brand new 33x10.50 BFGoodrich Baja T/A tire for $30 to use as a spare. All the rigs performed great and we had an awesome time out there.

Attachments

• AnzaBorrego20167.jpg
    AnzaBorrego20167.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 54
  • AnzaBorrego20163.jpg
    AnzaBorrego20163.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 56
  • AnzaBorrego20164.jpg
    AnzaBorrego20164.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 51
  • AnzaBorrego20162.jpg
    AnzaBorrego20162.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 54
  • AnzaBorrego2016.jpg
    AnzaBorrego2016.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 55

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Beautiful pictures. I'm hoping to get down there very soon.

Man, that spot for the Hi-Lift does look just like it was made for it. That is awesome.

jwp2121

Observer
Steering Upgrade

I started to get some pretty severe death wobble for the first time a few weeks ago. I had just upgraded my steering stabilizer less then two months ago with one from KOR off-road and I religiously rotate my tires in an attempt to avoid it. I climbed around underneath and could not find anything that was loose. All of my bushings still appear to be in good shape. I took the Jeep in to have it inspected and the shop said they also did not see anything that needed attention. They balanced the tires and did another alignment to see if that cured it. It did feel somewhat better on the drive home but a few days later I experienced it again really bad. So....I figured it would be a good time to explain to the wife why I MUST spend more money on the Jeep. :hehe: I ordered all four MOOG tie rod ends, HD drag link and HD tie rod from JKS. These things are pure BEEF! Ill post pics of the tear down and install once I finish.

Attachments

• WJsteering.jpg
    WJsteering.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 30

jwp2121

Observer
Steering Upgrade Finished/Death Wobble Fixed

Found the time to install the JKS HD steering components and all four new Moog tie rod ends. I also installed the second steering stabilizer I had from Kevin's Off-road and then rotated the tires. Everything felt much tighter and little bumps that used to make the steering wheel shimmy don't even phase it. I had another alignment done and have put around 50 miles on it so far. Have yet to get death wobble so I am crossing my fingers that this cured it.

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 24
  • steering2.jpg
    steering2.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 23

jwp2121

Observer
JKS would be proud of this front end.

Attachments

• steering3.jpg
    steering3.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 37
  • steering4.jpg
    steering4.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 34

jwp2121

Observer
Snow trip with my boys

The weather in So Cal has been so crazy this year. We had a pretty good storm roll in last weekend and the local mountains got snow in May! I figured it would be the perfect excuse to take the Jeep out with the boys. We explored some super muddy trails that turned out to be quite sketchy since I was only with an eight and four year old. It snowed pretty hard during the drive and we ended up stopping at a really cool old lodge for some hot chocolate. Still no more death wobble so it looks like the new steering fixed the problem for now. I also took the roof rack off and picked up another MPG average just cutting down on the wind resistance. I'm only going to use it from now on when I go on an extended trip and need the space.

Attachments

• snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 28
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 32
  • snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads