2006 4runner Sport w/ pic's of my 1st mod's

Any changes to your awesome ARB fridge mounting system?

I also own a 2006 4runner and was perusing the portal looking for ARB fridge mounting ideas. I really like the simplicity of what you came up with and had a few questions. What size ARB are you running with in the photos? I am thinking about the 37 quart as a solo traveler, thoughts? Also would you make any changes/mods to your original tie down system for the fridge or would you do it exactly the same? Great posts, thanks.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
My ARB is 50qt and I like the size a lot. The storage deck is great and I'm pretty happy with it. I now roll with 2 young boys so the fridge lives on the left side of the storage deck, rather than the second row. With two young boys we fill up the 4runner pretty quick, so I've been switching out much of our older (and huge) camping gear to stuff that is a bit smaller. I'm still curious about building drawers down the line, but I've stuck with this for versatility, strong tie downs and amount of pack-able space.

Here is a picture from our recent trip to Yosemite. (Note, we used a cooler here because we were camping in the valley and they require you to use the bear boxes). I have a cooler, 7 gallons of water, 4 milwaukee 26" job boxes, awning, 4x8 astro turf, tent, 3 duffles, roll-up tables, chairs, and a couple of sleeping bags all behind the rear seats. I use straps for the heavy stuff and the lighter stuff is held by custom sized load tamer net.

A couple of notes, the load tamer net is sweet. I'm shocked I don't see them more on this board. The Milwaukee 26" job boxes are water tight, strong and fit perfect in either direction in the rear of the 4runner next to an ARB fridge or cooler (as pictured).

IMG_6870_zpshkhiwdes.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6869_zpscsaire5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply and also the information about the load tamer. I sent them an email today to see what they can do. Your storage deck is awesome, if I get some time this Summer I am going to shamelessly steal your idea and try and make one for myself. I will of course give the source all due credit ;).

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Weigh in!

I've built my 4runner with aluminum to save weight. My starting point was a curb weight of 4,320. I've modified my truck to include the following with my estimates for weight:

Bumper & winch 95
Dual battery 50
Skid plates 50
Sliders 118
Tires 60
Suspension 20
Rear storage 50
Roof rack 35

Total 478 lbs

Well, I visited the scales with an empty truck ~3/4 tank of gas and no driver, and the result:

Front Axle: 2660
Rear Axle: 2140
Total weight: 4800

My estimate was pretty good.

My GVWR is 5580, so I have ~780 lbs remaining.

I'm pretty glad I chose aluminum.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I recently added a front runner roof rack and Cooper AT/3 in size LT275/70/17 load range C. Pics and impressions to follow sometime soon.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
11 year update @120,000 miles

The 4runner continues to impress! It's been very solid and still a joy to drive and own.

Since new I've run synthetic oil and 91 octane gas. I change the diffs and transfer case at 20-25K and the plugs every 30k.

I've recently done the following preventative maintenance:
-Transmission fluid flush (also done at ~60,000)
-transfer case & diffs
-spark plugs
-new toyota lower control arms (balls joints were weeping)
-CVs rebooted
-water pump changed @111k miles, the seal was weeping
-New gas cap @111k

My brake wear has been phenomenal:
-Still on original rotors front and rear
-front pads replaced 71K, now at 7mm
-Rear pads are at 4mm after 121,000 miles

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
MPG Update

My new cooper tires ride nice, but they are heavier than and slightly taller and wider than BFG ATs they replaced. Coupled with the addition of my frontrunner roof rack, it was time to measure MPG. I drove to SF, did about 45 mins of city driving, was in 30 mins of traffic getting out of the city and drove home on the highway. All in all, it was 249 miles mostly at 68-74 MPH. Took 13.56 gallons, so 18.36 MPG.

Definitely worse than before, I guess I can live with it. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner